2359glenn | studio
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #18,196 of 39,994
Wow, where did you find the metal base Miniwatt GZ34? Seems it's the most expensive tube in the chain.

It was graciously loaned to me from @zach915m for a couple weeks to compare with a couple of other rectifiers. We exchange lots of notes on gear and stuff. Going to miss this thing when I have to give it back, it’s an absolutely stellar tube.

Jan 31, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #18,197 of 39,994
It was graciously loaned to me from @zach915m for a couple weeks to compare with a couple of other rectifiers. We exchange lots of notes on gear and stuff. Going to miss this thing when I have to give it back, it’s an absolutely stellar tube.
Ic

Any other rectifier tubes you were impressed? Have you compared this with a non-metal base one? Thx!

I happened to find Yates sold his GZ34 a couple of years ago. :)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #18,198 of 39,994
Ic

Any other rectifier tubes you were impressed? Have you compared this with a non-metal base one? Thx!

I have not compared with the black base. I have some more on the way that should be good. Really excited for the RK60 and also for the 4V tubes now. Of the stuff I've heard so far, I've been most impressed by the bang-for-buck value of RCA rectifiers. I have their 5U4G, 5U4GB and 5AW4 and they are all excellent. One came with the amp and the other two cost me less than $30 combined. The RCA 5U4GB has excellent holographic depth layering for a tube of any price, let alone one that costs $10-$12. 5AW4 is great with the 6336. Being a great tube with a great rep is one thing, but it's a lot of fun when you just take a flyer on something that is under $20 and it turns out to be really good.

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #18,199 of 39,994
I have not compared with the black base. I have some more on the way that should be good. Really excited for the RK60 and also for the 4V tubes now. Of the stuff I've heard so far, I've been most impressed by the bang-for-buck value of RCA rectifiers. I have their 5U4G, 5U4GB and 5AW4 and they are all excellent. One came with the amp and the other two cost me less than $30 combined. The RCA 5U4GB has excellent holographic depth layering for a tube of any price, let alone one that costs $10-$12. 5AW4 is great with the 6336. Being a great tube with a great rep is one thing, but it's a lot of fun when you just take a flyer on something that is under $20 and it turns out to be really good.

Hi Hansotek,
Similar experience with the 5AW4 and 6336B, great combination. To me, with 4 month old GOTL, the 5CU4 is even better, a bit more open and immediate at the same time.
But the RK 60 is an even bigger win with the 6336B, my default rectifier at the moment. : ) Along with the C3g as driver.

Also like those Tung Sol/Chatham 6080s you have mounted, they are just a little bit bright at times. Best of the 6080s that I have (no GECs).
However, combining a pair with another 6080 pair is a good idea, will have to try that.

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #18,200 of 39,994
...To me, with 4 month old GOTL, the 5CU4 is even better, a bit more open and immediate at the same time...

Thanks for the reminder, I have a couple of Raytheon 5CU4s that I need to try out in the GEL3N (per Glenn's reco.) But wait... inexpensive tubes can't sound good, can they? :ksc75smile: Ya right, tell that to my EL3Ns and 3DG4. :L3000:

Jan 31, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #18,201 of 39,994
Hi Hansotek,
Similar experience with the 5AW4 and 6336B, great combination. To me, with 4 month old GOTL, the 5CU4 is even better, a bit more open and immediate at the same time.
But the RK 60 is an even bigger win with the 6336B, my default rectifier at the moment. : ) Along with the C3g as driver.

Also like those Tung Sol/Chatham 6080s you have mounted, they are just a little bit bright at times. Best of the 6080s that I have (no GECs).
However, combining a pair with another 6080 pair is a good idea, will have to try that.

My GEC 6080s are worlds better than these. Smoother up top, way more fine detail and the soundstage is huge relative to the Chathams & Tung-Sols.... but these do sound really great with the 660S. I think I still prefer the 6336 or 6BL7 quad for everything else though... and you can have both for less than the price of one GEC 6080!

I heard the RK60 and 6336 was a great combo - it was probably from you, hahaha! I'd have to go back and look. I can't find 5CU4's anywhere.... not to stressed about that with the RK60 on the way though.

If you get a chance, you should try the Mullard ECC31 (w/ 6sn7 adaptor) as the driver with the 6336. That combo packs a monster punch!!

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #18,202 of 39,994
Thanks for the reminder, I have a couple of Raytheon 5CU4s that I need to try out in the GEL3N (per Glenn's reco.) But wait... inexpensive tubes can't sound good, can they? :ksc75smile: Ya right, tell that to my EL3Ns and 3DG4. :L3000:

Raytheon is what I have also, and yes, thanks goes to Glenn for that recommendation.
Guess we have to remember that the expensive tubes were also inexpensive at one time.

Waiting, almost patiently, to hear the EL3Ns. : )

Jan 31, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #18,203 of 39,994
My GEC 6080s are worlds better than these. Smoother up top, way more fine detail and the soundstage is huge relative to the Chathams & Tung-Sols.... but these do sound really great with the 660S. I think I still prefer the 6336 or 6BL7 quad for everything else though... and you can have both for less than the price of one GEC 6080!

I heard the RK60 and 6336 was a great combo - it was probably from you, hahaha! I'd have to go back and look. I can't find 5CU4's anywhere.... not to stressed about that with the RK60 on the way though.

If you get a chance, you should try the Mullard ECC31 (w/ 6sn7 adaptor) as the driver with the 6336. That combo packs a monster punch!!

I will try to find the Mullard ECC31, in fact, have already started looking since your post. : )
The Cetron 6336B, with a couple hundred hours on them, are fantastic. (Maybe about 60h or a little more to settle.)

Only problem I had with the RK 60 was with the adapter, just too much play with the available adapter in the standard ceramic socket.
Thought the tube itself had occasional noise. Putting a little external pressure on tube eliminated the noise.
Solution for me was to use high temp O-rings at the base to eliminate the play between adapter base and socket.
Dead quiet, no occasional low level hum, and I swear the stage seemed to clean up even more.
Makes sense I guess, even if a vibration is inaudible, it can cause the low level spacial cues to be lost or distorted.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #18,207 of 39,994
I wonder how 2x EL3N as powers and C3g sounds in Glenn's OTL that includes C3g sockets?

1x EL3N as powers and C3g as drivers sounds awfully good in Elise, which is not specially biased for C3g...

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #18,208 of 39,994
There's a drop in gain when I was using c3g and EL3Ns in Elise with HE560 planar headphone. A pretty substantial drop in gain. I stop using it as it seems abnormal that the gain drop so sharply. C3g with 5998 on Elise works well though.

Should get Glenn to make you a GEL3N amp if you're interested in c3g and EL3N.

Feb 1, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #18,209 of 39,994
There's a drop in gain when I was using c3g and EL3Ns in Elise with HE560 planar headphone. A pretty substantial drop in gain. I stop using it as it seems abnormal that the gain drop so sharply. C3g with 5998 on Elise works well though.

Should get Glenn to make you a GEL3N amp if you're interested in c3g and EL3N.

Yes, gain is way lower in Elise with 1x EL3N as powers, but there still enough to power to drive high Z Sennheiser cans.

I know Glenn's EL3N amp uses an output transformer. And can't roll in C3g's in the GEL3N

But wonder how a Glenn OTL using 2x EL3N's per side as powers and his dedicated C3g sockets....would preform. (may not be suitable for low Z cans,,,?)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #18,210 of 39,994
I experience drop in gain when using c3g and 4 x EL3Ns in Elise. I.e 2 x EL3Ns in each power sockets. The drop in gain didn't just happen with 1 x EL3N per socket.

As for using multiple EL3Ns as power tubes in GOTL, that's not for me. GOTL has enough combinations to satisfy me so I don't see the need to experiment using pentode tubes in the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back