2359glenn | studio
Oct 19, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #14,281 of 39,986

My .02 cents in case you find it helpful:  If you have a discerning ear for detail, the duelunds let a bit more fine detail come through and improve transparency a bit.  They also are a bit more "honest" tone-wise in my opinion, layered but a bit less "romantic" shall we say than most paper in oil caps (which pretty much all sound nice in their own way).

Whether it's worth the cost (they're not cheap) is a personal choice.

They also need time to open up.  My 300B from Glenn changed signature at about 3 months.  More natural sounding now.  It could be my ears getting used to the sound but I definitely hear a change.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #14,282 of 39,986
  They also need time to open up.  My 300B from Glenn changed signature at about 3 months.  More natural sounding now.  It could be my ears getting used to the sound but I definitely hear a change.

Sorry, I was editing (adding stuff) to my post while you quoted it.  My bad.

I agree with this too.  My 45 amp did not settle down into a final sound signature until it has somewhere north of 300 hours on it.  Maybe even more than that.  The duelunds are known for sounding too "tight" when they are new.

Oct 21, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #14,283 of 39,986
Just got 2x 6528 in to use with my GOTL and my Code-X.

Sounds nice, that lowered output impedance definitely helps!

Oct 21, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #14,284 of 39,986

Sorry, I was editing (adding stuff) to my post while you quoted it.  My bad.

I agree with this too.  My 45 amp did not settle down into a final sound signature until it has somewhere north of 300 hours on it.  Maybe even more than that.  The duelunds are known for sounding too "tight" when they are new.

Xcalibur255, just curious as to what headphones you run with you 45 amp?

Oct 28, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #14,285 of 39,986
"The best cap is no cap"

Glenn gave me instructions and I rewired the single-stage setting to Triode mode rather than Pentode. I listen to it at the 2 'o clock setting now with my Code-X, which means it has more gain than my Dragon Inspire (that one, I frequently needed to go to 3 or 4)- more than enough for me :)

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #14,286 of 39,986
  "The best cap is no cap"

Glenn gave me instructions and I rewired the single-stage setting to Triode mode rather than Pentode. I listen to it at the 2 'o clock setting now with my Code-X, which means it has more gain than my Dragon Inspire (that one, I frequently needed to go to 3 or 4)- more than enough for me :)

Do you like the sound better with one stage better then two stage?
Just wondering if it is worth the one stage two stage switch in the next one I build.

Oct 29, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #14,287 of 39,986

Do you like the sound better with one stage better then two stage?
Just wondering if it is worth the one stage two stage switch in the next one I build.

The one stage setting is more analog, musical, smoother, vivid. It's clearly better. The two-stage sound is grainier, and may seem 'more high definition'. My personal preferences actually tend to lean towards uber clarity, but in this case I have to admit that the one stager is simply a superior sound- preferences or not.

This means that this is now a two-tube amp for me going forward (one per channel). No reason to use the cap-coupled version anymore. Cutting down on the tube costs further- that's always a good thing!

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #14,288 of 39,986
The musicality and analog presentation of the single stage reminds me a bit of what I love in my apex teton, though that's an otl and this is trafo-coupled so apples and oranges (for one, less "tubey sounding" on the gel3n). Looking forward to compare the gel3n with my ec studio once that comes in, but I don't expect one or the other to be a winner since the studio is more about uber clarity and the gel3n is just such a enjoyable sound.

I seriously can't believe that these go for the price they go for.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #14,289 of 39,986
I ordered transformers to build another one for me. I regretted selling that one after I did.
I actually prefer the sound of the EL3N amp over the 300B just a sweet sound can be compared to a #45
tube.  But for $20 US and not needing a driver it probably sounds better then a #45 and less money.
Ordered a set of Lundahl transformers on Friday. It will be a month to get these transformers from Sweden
special air gap for these tubes.
Going to replace my 2A3 headphone amp with this EL3N amp.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #14,290 of 39,986
I'm glad to read this further development of the EL3N amp which I am very interested to add to my current setup. Also interested how this will stack up against the uber expensive EC Studio.

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #14,291 of 39,986
Me too. I will probably get one myself. Love my 300B, and like to add this to my collection.

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #14,293 of 39,986
You have to wait and ask jelt2359 when he gets it if it sounds as good he thinks it will.

Yes, jelt2359 is the man! :grinning:

Is the 2359 in your username a coincidence?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back