2359glenn | studio
Dec 19, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #12,542 of 39,986
Wow! Rockin' with Glenn's mono blocks and the AE-3 DJH preamp with Glenn's 6F8G to 6SN7 adapters that I got in 2009.
THANKS, Glenn!

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #12,543 of 39,986
Prepping for Lieven's arrival in April 2016!
Blowing-socks-off setup. :)

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #12,544 of 39,986
You do know I'm taking the Woo and Leben home with me, right? 
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #12,546 of 39,986
I never get tired of looking at your pics, Clayton 
smile.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #12,547 of 39,986
I've read that and totally enjoyed it. I have the Rok and wondering how can Glenn's OTL can better it in terms of resolution. I have heard Punit's Glenn's OTL and was very impressed but not enough time to "dissect' SQ compared to my Rok. What I have noticed though is on my other cheap tube amp against Rok is what I call 'focus'. With the Rok, the sound of each instrument is there but not standin out. With my tube amp, most instruments are sort of more apparent and prominent. Perhaps this is what is happening with Glenn's amp also. In which, it is making me more excited to get one. :grinning:

While it could certainly be related to a difference in tube presentation vs. solid state, the end result is still the same for me - that is to say, I'm hearing low level detail that I haven't heard with the Rag. However, they're obviously very different amps, with different design objectives and I think it's actually a complimentary pairing if you happen to own both. I'd also add that it may very well depend on the source you end up using. The OTL certainly rewards pairing with a resolving source and will scale up if you own something more mid-fi or entry level. The driver tube choice in particular seemed to impact the resolution as well. If the c3g amp is more transparent and resolving still (and is what you're going to go for), I suspect you'll be really happy with the end result. 

Makes me wonder what the reviewer would make of one of Glenn's amps using C3G drivers rather than the 6SN7 family, as used in the review. I have found the C3G significantly more transparent than any 6SN7 I have tried (including the TS RP 6F8g / 6C8G used in the review).

I've been on Glenn's list for some time now, but my magic number hasn't been drawn yet. If I were to order one custom built, I would certainly go for the c3g w/ the Lundahl transformer. That said, when I saw a used amp for sale I decided I'd just make the plunge and give it a try. I felt the build I have was still worth discussing, especially since it's price to performance ratio is so high.

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #12,548 of 39,986
Thanks JoelIT. It will be very exciting to compare my future OTL amp against my Rok, PIBE and Lyr 2. And I hope to compare it with Punit's myriad of TOTL amps!

Dec 20, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #12,549 of 39,986
Spent a very pleasant Sunday afternoon putting my new Glenn 300B through its paces with my HeadFi buddy Badas (Donovan). Spent a few hours testing out the amp and doing some A/B with my solid state Taurus Mk2 and 430HA and general messing about with music and gear.

I was glad to find that I wasn't off in my own little world and that we both agree what the Glenn 300B is doing.

I am running Telefunken PY500 /C3G-S and Takatsuki 300Bs. The Taks have over 150 hours on them - I expect them to open up a little more and become a little smoother up to around 300 hours, but they are mostly past the rough and harsh early break-in stage. We were using a modded HD800 / modded HE6 / LCD-X / Ether C. All the music went via my Vega DAC running in exact mode (USB and SPDIF).

The PY500 / C3G combination is utterly transparent. The 'tubiness' of the amp comes from the 300B. The Taks do a fine job indeed - extension / detail / rich mids - these tubes are 'all rounders', but come with a hefty price tag. Worth every cent in my opinion, but I am a Takatsuki fanboi. I am yet to try the Elrog.

Detail - this is something that blew both of us away. My most transparent and detailed SS amp is the Taurus Mk2 (the 430HA is slightly colored in its presentation and not quite as transparent as the Taurus IMHO). Anyway, the Glenn 300B was ever so close to matching the level of detail presented by the Taurus, as in 'I can't freaken believe it' close. That is a staggering achievement for a tube amp. A good example - on some recordings made from tape you can sometimes pick up a slight background hiss from the tape itself. This is something that can sometimes be audible in quiet passages of the music on some tracks - a good SS amp with provide this level of detail. Neither of us had ever heard this via a tube amp - until the Glenn 300B. Amazing.

Tubiness - the 300B has to do all the heavy lifting here. Fortunately, the Taks are up to the job. Smooth, sweet treble, rich mids, great bass. All there.

Headphone matching - of all that we tried the modded HD800 stood out for both SQ and comfort. This headphone scales wonderfully with better gear and more POWER. In certain circumstances the HD800 can be a little bass light - not with this amp. Plenty of great bass and everything else. Magic combination.

Overall - I am a very happy camper. This amp is delivering almost SS levels of detail and dynamics combined with the tube qualities that I crave. It really is like someone melded the TA300Bs into my Taurus - giving a sound that is very, very close to the best of both SS and tube.

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #12,550 of 39,986
Some photo's I took.

Amazing amp. So much detail. The closest thing to SS and tubes having a date.

Dec 20, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #12,551 of 39,986

Headphone matching - of all that we tried the modded HD800 stood out for both SQ and comfort. This headphone scales wonderfully with better gear and more POWER. In certain circumstances the HD800 can be a little bass light - not with this amp. Plenty of great bass and everything else. Magic combination.

Very Happy to hear HD800 plays quite well with it, It is still my reference HP.

Dec 20, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #12,552 of 39,986
  Very Happy to hear HD800 plays quite well with it, It is still my reference HP.

It was very clearly the best HP on this amp. I used the LCD-X for about 2 minutes and went straight back to the HD800. Ether was a close second. The HD800 had everything.

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #12,554 of 39,986
Sold my hd800 and got he1000. He1000 beats hd800 on all aspects imho. Will be looking at hd800s when it is out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back