2359glenn | studio
Oct 3, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #12,046 of 39,986

No Lundahl only have a limited number of transformers.
Just stay with the old transformer.
I don't understand the 5 volt rectifier thing. The best sounding 5 volt is the WE422A that has a low voltage drop like a TV damper diode
why would I want to use lessor rectifiers. For bloated mushy sound and pay big bucks for it.

http://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/copper-cap-rectifiers

These have even less drop.  Worked fine in my P.P. amp.  Fast and powerful sound.  

Those are SS rectifiers.
I can make amps with SS rectifiers that are electrically better only .7 volt drop. And would be easier for me.  Don't have to cut the holes for the tube sockets

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #12,047 of 39,986

Tony  crusty grandfather I will get you for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I was clever I would save my wiseass comments until after my amp is built...
wink_face.gif

I  know
You can have exploding capacitors like your current amp
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #12,048 of 39,986
No Lundahl only have a limited number of transformers.
Just stay with the old transformer.
I don't understand the 5 volt rectifier thing. The best sounding 5 volt is the WE422A that has a low voltage drop like a TV damper diode
why would I want to use lessor rectifiers. For bloated mushy sound and pay big bucks for it.

Whatever you recommend! If Lundahl is bet that good for me.

Oct 3, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #12,050 of 39,986
I think the 274b has a big voltage drop and people love that tube.

Yes that would change the sound.
If a engineer designs a amp to run at a specific voltage why would you want to drop it??
And it is not just voltage drop it is called sag. when the amp needs more current like during
 strong bass the voltage drop across that rectifier increases dropping the B+ voltage when
it is most needed.
Some guitar amps use 5U4 rectifiers on purpose to do this and cause desired distortion.
I don't want it.

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #12,054 of 39,986

@2359glenn
At least I will ever able to make some money to pay for the upgraded 300b selling my 5v rectifiers.
:smirk::thumbsup:

Exactly what I did :), sold most of my 5v rectifiers.

No worries you will have no need for those anymore.
Just rectifiers that you can get for $2 to $10 each I guess no bragging rights with these

Oct 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #12,055 of 39,986

I  know
You can have exploding capacitors like your current amp
very_evil_smiley.gif

Gulp! This could hurt
eek.gif

That was a fun moment with my WA5. Loud 'BANG' from the amp and stinky smoke starts pouring out.

My amp won't do that until you plug it in I think I will here the bang here all the way from New Zealand.
Crusty old grandpa speaking.

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #12,057 of 39,986
  http://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/copper-cap-rectifiers

These have even less drop.  Worked fine in my P.P. amp.  Fast and powerful sound.  

ted webber -I bought some guitar amp speakers from.  I had mullard 5ar4 rectifiers from a deluxe reverb- that's how I got started.  So I remember getting 5y3 too etc 12ax7 mullards telefunkens.  I had to give up playing because of an injury but I had all these valves - fortunately I found stereo and headphone amps to put them in. 

I think the point of solid state in a stereo amp is for good bass?

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #12,058 of 39,986

My amp won't do that until you plug it in I think I will here the bang here all the way from New Zealand.
Crusty old grandpa speaking.

Revenge is sweet!!

These components are a normal part of the 300B amp build, aren't they?

That is a upgrade for yours.

If the capacitors in my amp blows up I will fly to New Zealand and fix it.  Then kiss your ass.
Just have some good food and drink on hand.
Blowing capacitors is unacceptable there are several brands I will not use. Most I use are made in Europe and USA.
No cheep stuff. 
Blowing capacitors What is that a feature.  Did you pay extra for that feature.

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #12,059 of 39,986
... Blowing capacitors What is that a feature.  Did you pay extra for that feature.

It came standard with my WA5
wink_face.gif

It certainly added some excitement to my audio day, in all the wrong ways.

Glad I went the extra yard for the Dueland coupling caps in my amp build - those guys have an awesome rep. Kinda like Lundahl transformers - apex components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back