2359glenn | studio
Oct 2, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #12,031 of 39,985
Glenn gave me two different sets of 42EC4 tubes for my amp...I have the RCA's in at the moment....I have not rolled them yet, so I can not tell you if they sound different or not....I will get around to it.

I have not heard any hum in my amp so far....I have rolled three different sets of power tubes and a few driver tubes....have not tried the C3g's yet and i have not rolled to a different brand of 42EC4's yet.

I have many tubes here to try, but to be honest, the amps sounds wonderful with every combo that I have tried, so I am just enjoying my music to it fullest and working my way thru my blues library.

I have missed my bedtime everynight since Glenn sent me the amp  
tongue.gif

I received a B36 tube the other day that I think I may roll in tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up on this , gibosi  
smile.gif

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #12,032 of 39,985

Glenn, do you still make a 300B amp with C3g?  I brought brunch of them last year.

I can answer that one - YES - Glenn is making a C3G / PY500 / 300B amp for me right now <insert image of a crusty grandfather in basement tinkering away>
wink_face.gif

JC yes I do

Tony  crusty grandfather I will get you for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #12,033 of 39,985
I have the old transformer, the 5998 switch and C3g sockets. Very frankly, when rolling in the C3gs with 5998s (switch on) there is way too much ground hum. This is also true with the ECC31. However, with 6SN7, the hum is low enough not to intrude, but it is not totally silent. I trust Glenn will correct me if I am wrong, but I suspect a transformer that can put out over 11 amps in order to accommodate two 6336 is going to be somewhat noisy, unless you go with a Lundahl or similar premium product. So IMO, if you really like the 5998, you should get the upgraded transformer, especially if you want to roll C3g. And in general, if you want an amp that is totally silent, you should get the upgraded transformer.

Personally, I am very content to use GEC 6AS7 instead of the 5998. And given the cost savings, I am OK with a little background hum. Currently, I am listening with GEC 6AS7, Cossor "fat" 53KU and a Mullard ECC31 through HD700. There is a small amount of background hum, but it is low enough that it never intrudes and I rarely notice it.

So I would say the price of "quiet" is $300 and no 5 volt rectifiers. And I have absolutely no idea how the PY500 rectifiers compare. However, Whirlwind and I don't live all that far apart, so one day, I hope we can have a little mini-meet and compare notes. :)

Thanks much this was what I was wondering.

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #12,034 of 39,985
Glenn... Since some would like to be able to use 5 volt rectifiers with an ultraquiet transformer, is there another manufacturer who makes transformers comparable to the Lundahl that can be used with 5 volt rectifiers?

Or, another, similar question. If someone has no interest in using 6336, is there a smaller Lundahl transformer, but still large enough to supply two 6AS7 and one BL63/VR102, that can be used with 5 volt rectifiers?

Oct 2, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #12,036 of 39,985
  Glenn gave me two different sets of 42EC4 tubes for my amp...I have the RCA's in at the moment....I have not rolled them yet, so I can not tell you if they sound different or not....I will get around to it.

I have not heard any hum in my amp so far....I have rolled three different sets of power tubes and a few driver tubes....have not tried the C3g's yet and i have not rolled to a different brand of 42EC4's yet.

I have many tubes here to try, but to be honest, the amps sounds wonderful with every combo that I have tried, so I am just enjoying my music to it fullest and working my way thru my blues library.

tongue.gif

I received a B36 tube the other day that I think I may roll in tonight or tomorrow.

smile.gif

tongue.gif

smile.gif

Whirlind's amp is the quietest OTL I have built so far. The Lundahl transformer is well worth the extra cost.

The GE PY500 made in UK is a lot different the RCA made in the USA Just looking at the internals. 

The B36 should sound as good or better then the 13D1   

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #12,039 of 39,985
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]
Langrex has a large stock of them, labelled as Granada Television. I have a bunch waiting for my Glenn 300B amp. Nice looking tubes.

Are the Mullards PY500 or an equivalent tube type?

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #12,041 of 39,985
Glenn... Since some would like to be able to use 5 volt rectifiers with an ultraquiet transformer, is there another manufacturer who makes transformers comparable to the Lundahl that can be used with 5 volt rectifiers?

Or, another, similar question. If someone has no interest in using 6336, is there a smaller Lundahl transformer, but still large enough to supply two 6AS7 and one BL63/VR102, that can be used with 5 volt rectifiers?

The later is my question also.

Oct 2, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #12,042 of 39,985
Oct 2, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #12,043 of 39,985

Or use Lundahl main with a separate 5VAC supply.  Hammond makes a few ~$20/pop  

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the ultra quiet transformer? Put in a cheep noisy transformer. 

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #12,044 of 39,985

The later is my question also.

No Lundahl only have a limited number of transformers.
Just stay with the old transformer.
I don't understand the 5 volt rectifier thing. The best sounding 5 volt is the WE422A that has a low voltage drop like a TV damper diode
why would I want to use lessor rectifiers. For bloated mushy sound and pay big bucks for it.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #12,045 of 39,985

No Lundahl only have a limited number of transformers.
Just stay with the old transformer.
I don't understand the 5 volt rectifier thing. The best sounding 5 volt is the WE422A that has a low voltage drop like a TV damper diode
why would I want to use lessor rectifiers. For bloated mushy sound and pay big bucks for it.

http://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/copper-cap-rectifiers

These have even less drop.  Worked fine in my P.P. amp.  Fast and powerful sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back