2359glenn | studio
Apr 7, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #11,356 of 39,986
  Another question about 6F8G....

Currently on eBay, listing #311134071038, there is a Tungsram 6F8G. Is this likely a rebrand? Or do we know that Tungsram made these tubes?

It has ECC32 style plates, but something about it makes me nervous somehow.  I would post in the 6SN7 thread if you haven't and see if the folks there well versed in European tubes can be sure of its origin.

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #11,359 of 39,986
Mailed Jude, MOT status gone. woohoo. Sorry Stavros, but I'm back
cool.gif

Apr 8, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #11,360 of 39,986
Update on the 45 Globes:  I re-biased them both to 32mA now that they've run for a bit and have de-gassed, and they hold dead even with each other with no drift.  Amazing for 85 year old tubes.

*ahem*  So.............................  I get it now.

That starry eyed look people have when they talk about these old globe tubes.  I get it now.  They're better than the ST tubes in nearly every way.  Lithe, delicate, and finessed without sacrificing dynamics or resolution.  They're *more* resolving than my previous favorite tubes, by a fair margin too.  The soundstage is the best I've ever heard on headphones, bar none.

The reason I say "nearly" is because they can't match the ST types for bass control.  I do still have some headroom to go up to 36mA, and I know for fact doing this will tighten that bass up some, but the whole presentation sounds so lovely like this I'm just not going to touch it for now.  That, and I don't want to beat on my new glass treasures so soon.  36mA is 100% plate dissipation for a 45 after all.

Glad I took a chance on this purchase.  These Ken-Rads are something special.

Apr 8, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #11,362 of 39,986
  This was my foray into GlennAmp Territory.
The conversation with Glenn went as such:

Glenn, please build me an amp for $x.

He did and I have been happy ever since--right parbaked?

You've got to trust the Master.

Same here, just asked Glenn I was to use 6AS7G, 6SN7, and GZ34 tubes and he made me an amp I'm still very happy with.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #11,363 of 39,986
  Mailed Jude, MOT status gone. woohoo. Sorry Stavros, but I'm back
cool.gif

That's way too bad, I can't attack you now..................what a shame!

I am not sure if there were any European 6F8G's but it's possible.
Nothing surprises me with tubes anymore.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #11,365 of 39,986
Apr 10, 2015 at 9:15 AM Post #11,367 of 39,986
If it makes you feel any better, I don't recall hearing the term at all. That being said, I'm curious now - it seems like a good idea to know before I try my hand at building an amp (that isn't a kit).

Apr 10, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #11,369 of 39,986
A colleague just purchased a pair of Lorenz C3g with gold pins, the same ones I have, removed the metal caps, and took a couple pics side by side with the Siemens C3g/s. For anyone who is interested, they can be seen here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/9510#post_11496566

The construction differences are striking. And to my ears, at least, and not at all surprising, they also sound different. Considering that these were manufactured about 10 years apart, the Lorenz in the mid-1960s and the Siemens in the mid-1970's. or later, should we assume both were manufactured in the same factory by Siemens some 10 years apart? Or perhaps in different factories owned by two different companies some 10 years apart?

I love a good mystery. lol :)

Apr 10, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #11,370 of 39,986
  I just read about what a choke is and connected it with a question someone asked earlier in the thread - Is there a better alternative to a coupling capacitor in blocking DC from headphones at output of OTL.

Based on what I read, I think that a choke allows DC to pass but blocks AC (the opposite of a coupling cap?).  What would happen if you put a relatively low value resistor in parallel with a suitable rated choke, the choke passing DC to ground and blocking AC, while the resistor was connected to the output.  Assuming that the DC follows the path of least resistance, it would be filtered out of the signal path, wouldn't it.  If this is the case, could this arrangement be used to replace the output (coupling) cap?  Would there be any sonic differences between this and the output cap?

Just some late Friday night ponderings. 

It would be awesome if you could answer my questions and correct my befuddled thinking.

Nathan

Won't work the choke would short out the amplifier plus Electricity takes all paths not just the easiest. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back