2359glenn | studio
Apr 6, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #11,327 of 39,986
  This question is for my interest only and not for the purposes of the design of my amp.

Consider a hypothetical dual mono amp that had four 300Bs per channel with manual bias of each tube.  It would seem ridiculous to have eight ammeters spread between one or two chassis.  Would it be possible to use a switch to determine which triode was being measured and just have one ammeter per channel?

Would there be any negative sonic effects?

Are you still talking about using DHTs in an OTL design??

I think I've seen a handful of power amps using multiple output tubes ( >2 ) per channel. 

If you're thinking to use the amp for both headphones and speakers, it might be possible to implement a switch, since the loads for headphones vs speakers are very different. 

Glenn or someone more knowledgeable about tube amps would be best to answer though...

Apr 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #11,330 of 39,986
MoatsArt

It is best to keep it simple and keep the cost down.
I would go with the Lundahl power transformer.
With the larger chassis the Clarity 77668  440uf/600v capacitors 2 for output and 2 in the power supply.
And go with six 6BL7s skip the 5998 switch most of these tubes are crap anyway.
You still will be able to use 6AS7s in this amp.
Go with the C3g for driver.
And GoldPoint Stepped attenuator

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #11,336 of 39,986
  Thanks kindly for the suggestion - The tubes certainly look affordable.  They are the output tubes Craig uses in the Zana Deux, aren't they?

I am happily leaving all decisions in relation to the amp's design up to Glenn. 

Warm regards

Nathan

The 6C33C tubes used in the Zana get ridiculously hot. You can seriously not run your heater if you own a Zana, and it's very unbearable during the summer. Other than that though, amazing sound. 

I'd stick with Glenn's standard options. Can't imagine you'd go wrong with anything Glenn makes. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #11,337 of 39,986
This was my foray into GlennAmp Territory.
The conversation with Glenn went as such:

Glenn, please build me an amp for $x.

He did and I have been happy ever since--right parbaked?

You've got to trust the Master.

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #11,339 of 39,986
Oh my, they made me MOT on the boards. That severely limits my posting power
ph34r.gif

Not that you guys didn't know who I was
rolleyes.gif

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #11,340 of 39,986
Congratulations Lieven!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back