2359glenn | studio
Mar 20, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #11,086 of 39,986
  A couple of the "pin-guides", or whatever they are called, are a bit loose in one of the 6AS7 sockets. It does make it a bit more difficult to pull out tubes, but otherwise, perhaps it is not a serious problem? However, I am wondering if there is a way to tighten these so that they don't pull out like this? 

For those who might be curious, I followed Glenn's instructions below and the socket is now fine. :)

"The pins you can take the bottom off and with the pin down in place just bend it a little
away from center. I usually do this must have forgotten it is safe after a few minutes
there is bleeder resistors to discharge the filter capacitors."

Mar 20, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #11,087 of 39,986
Received a new rectifier today, a three getter 3DG4, plugged it in, turned the amp on, left the room for a few minutes, and when I returned, the amp was dead!  Blown fuse.... So I guess this rectifier was DOA.... :frowning2: 

As best as I can make out, the fuse-type is F4AL250V, about 20mm by 5mm, a miniature I assume. Obviously I need another one or two. Any suggestions where I might find one locally here in the US? Checked RadioShack and Autozone websites, and nothing....

Mar 20, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #11,088 of 39,986
  Received a new rectifier today, a three getter 3DG4, plugged it in, turned the amp on, left the room for a few minutes, and when I returned, the amp was dead!  Blown fuse.... So I guess this rectifier was DOA.... :frowning2: 

As best as I can make out, the fuse-type is F4AL250V, about 20mm by 5mm, a miniature I assume. Obviously I need another one or two. Any suggestions where I might find one locally here in the US? Checked RadioShack and Autozone websites, and nothing....

Are these the ones.....if so you may also find these at a store that sells auto parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-5-F4-AL-250V-F4AL250V-4A-5MM-x-20MM-FUSES-/151536629763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2348497803

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #11,089 of 39,986
Yes, I believe they are. But I am hoping I can find them locally as I don't want to wait. There are a couple auto parts stores and a Micro Center close by. Will check them out tomorrow.

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #11,090 of 39,986

Are these the ones.....if so you may also find these at a store that sells auto parts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SET-OF-5-F4-AL-250V-F4AL250V-4A-5MM-x-20MM-FUSES-/151536629763?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2348497803

Looks like you got a shorted tube that is the right one .  Radio Shack doesn't have one? you can also use a T3.15 amp fuse
yours is a T4  amp T stands for time delay or slow blow.
You probably got a tube that was used to death in a TV.
I can send you one if you want? but cant do it until Monday
Glenn

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #11,092 of 39,986
I am quite sure the fuse I have is F4AL 250V, which is fast blow?  It should be a slow blow? If so, I will try to find some T4.

I don't see these on Radio Shack's web site. However, I do see some of the longer ones, 1¼X¼ inch, but I think these are too long to fit into the fuse holder. But as long as I am out and about tomorrow, will check the closest Radio Shack and an ACE hardware as well.

Thanks!

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #11,094 of 39,986
So having some fresh talk in here inspired me to tube roll with the OTL a little bit again.  I decided to go for something random just for the heck of it and I'll be darned if it doesn't sound really good.  Marconi Osram B65 + Chatham 6080W + Tung Sol 3DG4 outputting to my 600 ohm Beyer DT880s.  I find the Beyers to have this skeletal sound in nearly everything I try them on, but there is something really unique going on in this combo.  It's kind of flat sounding with light bass and dynamic punch but there is so much transparency into the inner details of the notes that it gives the music a unique sense of body that is quite satisfying somehow.  Huge, airy soundstage and great resolution with a slightly sweet midrange focused sound that's smooth and inviting.  I've really never liked 6080s in general but maybe I just didn't give them enough of a chance or find the right supporting cast.  I kept these Chathams because they are visually cool looking tubes and aren't worth dirt to resell, now I'm glad I held onto them.  Got an all metal base thing going on except for the rectifier.

I think I'll leave this tube combo in a while.  Only downside is the heat.  I had forgotten how darn hot the OTL gets running 6080 tubes.

Mar 21, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #11,096 of 39,986
  you can also use a T3.15 amp fuse

I am quite sure the fuse I have is F4AL 250V, which is fast blow?  It should be a slow blow? If so, I will try to find some T4.

I wonder if Glenn actually meant that either F4 or T3.15 is fine.
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #11,097 of 39,986

you can also use a T3.15 amp fuse

I wonder if Glenn actually meant that either F4 or T3.15 is fine.
confused.gif

Yes I normally supply a 3.15 amp slow blow to handle the surge of magnetizing current of the large transformer.
But a 4 amp is fine also a 4 amp fast blow might blow quicker then a 3.15 amp slow blow.
I don't want the fuse to blow for no reason during the start surge only if a bad tube gets put in the amp.
And there is plenty of bad tubes being sold on E-Bay. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #11,098 of 39,986
  I have been very busy at work lately and have no time listening at home and moved Glenn's amp to my office today.  Now either I'm rocking with Glenn's amp or on crappy headset on WebEx. 

Seems you're doin' a lot better than me. My entire rig has been sitting in storage since October due to lack of space. Hope to roll it out by May/June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back