2359glenn | studio
Sep 3, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #37,351 of 39,983
Thanks for the response. And your video was hugely helpful, thank you for that too.

I know there's a general range of cost for the GOTL, but it's still a bit unclear what those various options are. Is there anywhere in this thread where I can jump to that? Also, it seems that over time, some options seem to be stated as "must haves" while one or two others are considered less so. Getting such user feedback from experienced owners would be fantastic, as I look to work with Glenn on my own personal configuration. That's the main thing. Hope that makes sense.

Here is a quick basic summary for GOTL (there are other amp options!):

1. Transformer: Lundhal transformer or American transformer. (Lundhal is probably a "better" transformer)
  2. Rectifier: Tube rectifier or HEXFRED rectifier. I think Glenn recommends the American non-Lundhal transformer w/ the tube rectifier. I think the Lundhal + HEXFRED is quieter noise-wise.
  3. 2,4, or 6 output sockets. More tube rolling options.
  4. Which input sockets; Minimally 1x 6SN7, more commonly 1x 6SN7 + 2x C3G, or more recently 1x 6SN7 + 2x 6J5. This is, I am quite sure, a topic to discuss and more options are likely possible.
  5. Goldpoint stepped attenuator (the volume dial, impacts the sound - not just a pure aesthetic). I have, recommend.
  6. 6/12/25v switch (allows using different voltage tubes, often you can get popular tubes with different voltages cheaper). Very recommended.
  7. Upgraded capacitors (I don't have)
  8. Preamp-outputs (I have/ don't use)
I am sure I missed something and you can certainly go "off piste", but that is probably the common option set/ decision set. There are certainly more informed people than I, but happy to help if I can.

Best,
Chris

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #37,352 of 39,983
@Monsterzero , I should add, I by no means was suggesting that the vibe of the thread was a problem by any means! My apologies if it sounded that way. It just was a little bit hard for a tube noob like myself to educate myself and find my way through it all. Honestly, I was so surprised to hear back from @2359glenn so relatively soon to my PM, I felt like I needed to up my knowledge quickly so I can talk intelligently to place my order, LOL!

My plan right now is to get the ZMF Pendant to do my "tube learning" when the Verite comes (I also hear it's a quality, quality amp in its own right), and knowing it will be awhile before I get my GOTL, I dig through this thread to learn about the tube options, etc. Right now I read it, and it's a bunch of alphabet soup grouping of letters and numbers!

For a brief (very brief) moment I was thinking getting the Pendant would be "good enough" and getting an GOTL would then be redundant to some extent, but the love spoken about the Glenn here says that would be faulty and shortsighted thinking on my part. Even though it's only been one PM communication with Glenn, I'm excited to go through the process to eventually become an owner.

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #37,353 of 39,983

1. Transformer: Lundhal transformer or American transformer. (Lundhal is probably a "better" transformer)
  2. Rectifier: Tube rectifier or HEXFRED rectifier. I think Glenn recommends the American non-Lundhal transformer w/ the tube rectifier. I think the Lundhal + HEXFRED is quieter noise-wise.
  4. Which input sockets; Minimally 1x 6SN7, more commonly 1x 6SN7 + 2x C3G, or more recently 1x 6SN7 + 2x 6J5. This is, I am quite sure, a topic to discuss and more options are likely possible.
  5. Goldpoint stepped attenuator (the volume dial, impacts the sound - not just a pure aesthetic). I have, recommend.
  6. 6/12/25v switch (allows using different voltage tubes, often you can get popular tubes with different voltages cheaper). Very recommended.
I am sure I missed something and you can certainly go "off piste", but that is probably the common option set/ decision set. There are certainly more informed people than I, but happy to help if I can.

Best,
Chris
So helpful. And exactly what I was hoping for, thanks! Based on my limited research to date, I think I'd go with everything you mention, especially the recommended items. My desire is to get the "quietest" noise floor, so I'll be interested in response from other owners on their recommendations for #1 & #2. And #4 seems interesting and likely will provide some good feedback from others too.

Just curious on #8, if I may? Was this a change of thinking from when you ordered to actual day to day use, or some other consideration? Thanks again for sharing your configuration experience!

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #37,354 of 39,983

Best,
Chris

There is also an optional switch for 5998 power tubes - glenn says it will give them the juice they need to operate better

i run tube rectifier with the lundhal transformer, so I have made it a habit to check tube spec sheets and do a bit of math before plonking in tubes to make sure I don't exceed the current limits

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #37,355 of 39,983
oh ya - @Skyediver

if you intend to run the WE422A rectifier, let Glenn know - he will make a special adaptor to reverse a couple of pins to eliminate some noise.

also, you could spec upgraded sockets too. e.g. high quality ones made by Yamamoto ... very pricey option with up to 10 sockets on the GOTL...

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #37,356 of 39,983
So helpful. And exactly what I was hoping for, thanks! Based on my limited research to date, I think I'd go with everything you mention, especially the recommended items. My desire is to get the "quietest" noise floor, so I'll be interested in response from other owners on their recommendations for #1 & #2. And #4 seems interesting and likely will provide some good feedback from others too.

Just curious on #8, if I may? Was this a change of thinking from when you ordered to actual day to day use, or some other consideration? Thanks again for sharing your configuration experience!

Since "quiet" is very important to you, the Lundahl with HEXFRED rectifier is the way to go. As I am "addicted" to tube rectifiers, I have to tolerate a small amount of hum and buzzing with the American transformer. But then, you can't have everything. :)

Regarding #4, my recommendation is 1x 6SN7 + 2x C3G. This gives you the most flexibility. You can still run a pair of 6J5 via an adapter in the 6SN7 socket. And the C3g socket allows you to run other strapped pentodes, such as EL3N, EL8, EL11, etc.

And regarding which tubes to get, I am quite sure that Glenn still provides a driver and a pair of output tubes with the amp? And I assure you that even though they are not expensive, you will be surprised at how good they will sound. And then, I would encourage you to purchase a few more inexpensive tubes to enable you to learn what you like and don't like. With more experience and knowledge, you will then have a better handle on which tubes you might consider to be an upgrade.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #37,357 of 39,983
Geez, I haven’t even placed my order yet, and I’m getting giddy. Thanks so much for the specific answer to my question and such great feedback, guys!

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #37,358 of 39,983
Also don't be afraid to ask Glenn....he is very flexible about what anybody may want.

It could take a bit for him to respond, but understand that he has just went through a move to a different state and a job change.
This is a sort of hobby and side gig to him....patience is the key to be rewarded :slight_smile:

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #37,359 of 39,983

Best,
Chris
Geez, I haven’t even placed my order yet, and I’m getting giddy. Thanks so much for the specific answer to my question and such great feedback, guys!

I have the Lundahl and tube or HEXFRED plug-in. I much prefer the sound of the tubes. The HEXFRED gives an etched sound to the music. Im not the only owner who noticed it.
For #3 I went with 6. go big,or go home.
#4 Personally I'd skip the 6SN7 sockets and go with the 6/12J5 sockets instead. If I could change anything about my GOTL that would be it. You would need the 6/12 voltage switch. No 25v option needed.

I skipped #5 and #7. No clue as to what im missing.
#8 I have,and like Chris I never use it.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #37,360 of 39,983
Haven't been able to compare, but I only have the built-in Hexfred and no provision for a tube rectifier. Is it possible that the plug-in rectifier has a different sound?
Somebody mentioned that the built-in Hexfred sounds like a Cossor rectifier tube which I take to mean something positive.
Re preamp out, I use it daily, although lately I started listening much more to headphones after getting a set of Sennheiser HD250 on Monster0's recommendation.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #37,361 of 39,983
Also don't be afraid to ask Glenn....he is very flexible about what anybody may want.

It could take a bit for him to respond, but understand that he has just went through a move to a different state and a job change.
This is a sort of hobby and side gig to him....patience is the key to be rewarded :slight_smile:

Did Glenn move twice? I thought it was another town, in the same state..?

Sep 3, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #37,362 of 39,983
Haven't been able to compare, but I only have the built-in Hexfred and no provision for a tube rectifier. Is it possible that the plug-in rectifier has a different sound?
Somebody mentioned that the built-in Hexfred sounds like a Cossor rectifier tube which I take to mean something positive.
Re preamp out, I use it daily, although lately I started listening much more to headphones after getting a set of Sennheiser HD250 on Monster0's recommendation.

I cannot believe that the plugin HEXFRED sounds any different than one built-in. After all, they are the exact same HEXFRED diodes and the only difference is that B+ is slightly higher with the plug-in unit than it is with the built-in unit. And from my comparative measurements of B+ and voltage drop with respect to tube rectifiers, I observed that changing B+ has absolutely no affect on the sound.

Yes, to my ears the tone of the HEXFRED is very similar to that of a Cossor 53KU. But I need to emphasize that I am a "tone guy". My old worn-out ears and mid-fi gear are unable to discern very subtle differences such as the "etched sound" that Monster reports hearing. But I am not at all surprised. It is very well known that solid-state rectification generates odd-order harmonic distortion that is often described as being grating and etchy. And while the HEXFRED was developed to sound more like a tube, in the end, it is still a solid-state rectifier.

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #37,363 of 39,983
Did Glenn move twice? I thought it was another town, in the same state..?

He has not moved twice, at least I do not think so and I guess I may have just assumed that he was in another state....maybe same state just three hours away from where he was.

It sounds as if he is getting things sorted out and building amps again. That is the good news. I am sure work is still keeping him pretty busy through all of this.

Sep 4, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #37,364 of 39,983
I cannot believe that the plugin HEXFRED sounds any different than one built-in. After all, they are the exact same HEXFRED diodes and the only difference is that B+ is slightly higher with the plug-in unit than it is with the built-in unit. And from my comparative measurements of B+ and voltage drop with respect to tube rectifiers, I observed that changing B+ has absolutely no affect on the sound.

As I slowly learn more and more about this and other subjects I've been coming to believe this may not quite be the case. The rectification diodes are part of a larger scheme of components that are doing a number of different things, and how it's all implemented will end up having quite an effect on the sound. The kind of filtering that's in place to reduce noise such as spikes, ripple and hash for example, is very important. The HEXFRED on its own isn't going to necessarily be a source of increased hardness or etch in the sound, but because of the faster recovery time of the diodes vs. a tube diode it might be calling attention to a bit of powersupply noise that a tube recfifier might make less obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back