2359glenn | studio
Aug 30, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #37,336 of 39,988
We're up to 22 on the possible group buy. I said it half in jest, but we might be able to pull it off. Only problem would be logistics and sending out each individual package to everyone.

Aug 31, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #37,337 of 39,988
I was rummaging through a box of LD tubes yesterday and found a pair of Reflector 6N30P-DR. I had forgotten that I had them and after looking at eBay today, I am amazed at how much they are going for these days. Many consider this tube to be one of the very best stock output tubes for the LD, and I thought I would run one as a driver with a 6-pack of Melz 6N12S. Sounds dang good. :)

2020-08-31 15.41.27.jpg

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #37,339 of 39,988
I was rummaging through a box of LD tubes yesterday and found a pair of Reflector 6N30P-DR. I had forgotten that I had them and after looking at eBay today, I am amazed at how much they are going for these days. Many consider this tube to be one of the very best stock output tubes for the LD, and I thought I would run one as a driver with a 6-pack of Melz 6N12S. Sounds dang good. :)

I like the look of that Reflector 6N30P-DR, @gibosi, wish I could hear it in the GOTL, don't remember if I had that one when I had my LD or not, but I don't think so.

I am still running the Amperex ECC88 and decided to try a pair of one of @mordy 's faves...the1950's Foton 6H8C's in with a pair of GE 6AS7GA's - as powers.

This was an eye opener...seems the Foton's really bring out micro details, and turn the "it's REAL" illusion, way up!

Fun stuff!

:)

IMG_3895.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #37,340 of 39,988
I like the look of that Reflector 6N30P-DR, @gibosi, wish I could hear it in the GOTL, don't remember if I had that one when I had my LD or not, but I don't think so.

I am still running the Amperex ECC88 and decided to try a pair of one of @mordy 's faves...the1950's Foton 6H8C's in with a pair of GE 6AS7GA's - as powers.

This was an eye opener...seems the Foton's really bring out micro details, and turn the "it's REAL" illusion, way up!

Fun stuff!

IMG_3895.JPG
Look at the substantial getter structure in the ECC88 Amperex tube above - obviously inspired by this A-frame architecture....
1599009763697.jpeg

Just to show how different this getter is, here is an upside down close-up:
1599009762964.png

Anyhow, after reading about JV's eye opener I decided to try the same recipe but instead of 6AS7GA I left in the Bendix 6080WB. Put in a pair of the Foton 6H8C ladder anode from 1954. The ECC88 is made in Holland in 1974 and has a Tektronics sticker on it - selected for use in an oscilloscope or test equipment.
1599011169613.png

And the "A" theme continues - beautiful sound. Expansive 3D sound stage, lively presentation, very good and tight bass extension, slam and dynamics; great detail and timbre.
Even though this is just a first impression I think it will stay.
Well done JV!

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #37,341 of 39,988
And the "A" theme continues - beautiful sound. Expansive 3D sound stage, lively presentation, very good and tight bass extension, slam and dynamics; great detail and timbre.
Even though this is just a first impression I think it will stay.
Well done JV!

Glad you tried it, Mordy and glad you approve!
When I first posted about it, I thought "you know, maybe I have rolled 'one too many tubes' and I have finally lost it". LOL

Of course that Foton 6H8C does not belong in that power position, but whoa! It adds, immensely! I really like it and I am staying with this, too.

I did try some other 2x gain power tubes, all were enhanced via the Foton's being present on the playground :)

Thank you Mordy, for finding, and sharing the Foton's.

Appreciate your giving it a whirl, Mordy...

Cheers!

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #37,342 of 39,988
Glad you tried it, Mordy and glad you approve!
When I first posted about it, I thought "you know, maybe I have rolled 'one too many tubes' and I have finally lost it". LOL

Of course that Foton 6H8C does not belong in that power position, but whoa! It adds, immensely! I really like it and I am staying with this, too.

I did try some other 2x gain power tubes, all were enhanced via the Foton's being present on the playground :)

Thank you Mordy, for finding, and sharing the Foton's.

Appreciate your giving it a whirl, Mordy...

Cheers!

Just listened to a favorite YouTube video now and I noticed the proverbial new details in the recording....
And yes - you have to trust your ears....

Sep 3, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #37,345 of 39,988
Hi gang. I was hoping to get some direction, if possible? I recently received PM response from @2359glenn , and I gotta admit, it was like getting a Golden Ticket from Willy Wonka. But the thing is, I’m new to tube rolling, etc. I’m still waiting for response from Glenn to initiate putting together an order and getting officially into his production queue, but I want to be as educated as possible around add-on options, etc. I watched this: which was helpful, but there’s very little else I could find. Any recommended resources? I’m open to working through this thread, but it IS a bit intimidating being 37K posts strong going back to 2012, and a lot of what I’m reading seems (understandably) more focused toward experienced folks discussing actual tubes. I’m just not there yet, but Grasshopper is willing to learn.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #37,346 of 39,988
Hi gang. I was hoping to get some direction, if possible? I recently received PM response from @2359glenn , and I gotta admit, it was like getting a Golden Ticket from Willy Wonka. But the thing is, I’m new to tube rolling, etc. I’m still waiting for response from Glenn to initiate putting together an order and getting officially into his production queue, but I want to be as educated as possible around add-on options, etc. I watched this: which was helpful, but there’s very little else I could find. Any recommended resources? I’m open to working through this thread, but it IS a bit intimidating being 37K posts strong going back to 2012, and a lot of what I’m reading seems (understandably) more focused toward experienced folks discussing actual tubes. I’m just not there yet, but Grasshopper is willing to learn.

Welcome, very exciting times ahead. I won't claim to have the expertise that others in this thread have, but am happy to help. The experts here were very helpful to me when I first got the GOTL so hopefully I can pass that along. Send me a PM or post questions.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #37,347 of 39,988

This thread is massive,and often times goes off of the rails about a specific tube or combo,which is why I created that video.
What specifically are you wanting to know?

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #37,348 of 39,988

PM sent...

I think I am close enough to you, that you could drive down and listen to my GOTL...

What are your intended cans, if I may ask...

:xf_cool:

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #37,349 of 39,988
This thread is massive,and often times goes off of the rails about a specific tube or combo,which is why I created that video.
What specifically are you wanting to know?
Thanks for the response. And your video was hugely helpful, thank you for that too.

I know there's a general range of cost for the GOTL, but it's still a bit unclear what those various options are. Is there anywhere in this thread where I can jump to that? Also, it seems that over time, some options seem to be stated as "must haves" while one or two others are considered less so. Getting such user feedback from experienced owners would be fantastic, as I look to work with Glenn on my own personal configuration. That's the main thing. Hope that makes sense.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #37,350 of 39,988
PM sent...

I think I am close enough to you, that you could drive down and listen to my GOTL...

What are your intended cans, if I may ask...

:xf_cool:
Wow, that's a generous offer, thank you. I'll look for that. I'm in the "waiting lounge" for my own pair of ZMF Verites, likely to come in a couple of months, so that's what's driving my interest in getting my own GOTL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back