2359glenn | studio
Jul 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3,706 of 39,998
Quote:
Have to find out what the plate resistor is on the drive section of the 6SN7
The C3g has to have enough current to work properly driving a 300B.

I'm still set on ordering some electronic goodies from the Studio this autumn. It's just that I've wanted a WA5 for so long. Now I wanted spec'd to my liking, if I'm paying for it. Not being able to use the C3g in place of a 6SN7 could be a deal breaker. And yes, you'd be properly 
wink.gif
compensated. 

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #3,707 of 39,998
You are still trying to substitute a pentode in the place of a triode, even with the heater current being the same.  Plus the biasing might be pretty different for the two tubes.  This is likely why Woo Audio doesn't want to do the customization because they have to re-design the power supply to get the plate current on the C3g right all the resistor values would probably change.

Jul 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #3,708 of 39,998
Quote:
You are still trying to substitute a pentode in the place of a triode, even with the heater current being the same.  Plus the biasing might be pretty different for the two tubes.  This is likely why Woo Audio doesn't want to do the customization because they have to re-design the power supply to get the plate current on the C3g right all the resistor values would probably change.

rolleyes.gif
 My bad. I completely forgot - that's what Jack told me in April. 

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #3,709 of 39,998
Quote:
Common Stavros I am trying to help you a amp with only two tubes.
I know I have been a bad boy introducing you to new Tubes with this new OTL  amp.
have to ween you off tubes slowly or you could end up in a lunatic asylum if you go cold turkey.
Your neighbors might not like this Hybrid amp though.
Have to think of something else Cookies were no good especially when I send Tubes and cookies in
the same box.  Even put tubes in a cookie tin that was bad but it worked and no tubes got broke.

Yes you are bad, very bad!
What you managed so far is to ween me off all other amps, tube or SS, and get me hooked on the GR Super 10.

Cookies were very very good, even though L told everybody she sent them I managed to fool most all but my niece.
She's too clever to fool.........

BTW the AKG K701 sounds very good, one of these days I'll try the K1000.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #3,710 of 39,998
Quote:
Common Stavros I am trying to help you a amp with only two tubes.
I know I have been a bad boy introducing you to new Tubes with this new OTL  amp.
have to ween you off tubes slowly or you could end up in a lunatic asylum if you go cold turkey.
Your neighbors might not like this Hybrid amp though.
Have to think of something else Cookies were no good especially when I send Tubes and cookies in
the same box.  Even put tubes in a cookie tin that was bad but it worked and no tubes got broke.

Yes you are bad, very bad!
What you managed so far is to ween me off all other amps, tube or SS, and get me hooked on the GR Super 10.

Cookies were very very good, even though L told everybody she sent them I managed to fool most all but my niece.
She's too clever to fool.........and I had to share!!!!!!

BTW the AKG K701 sounds very good, one of these days I'll try the K1000.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3,711 of 39,998
With my Glenn OTL I am using 2 GEC CV 2523s, 1 Mullard ECC32 and 1 Mullard GZ37.  I have been pairing it with my Beyer T1s.  It is a wonderful combination that only lacks in the low end.  It is a little bright but very nicely detailed and dynamic.  Maybe I need to find a replacement for the ECC32 which would add more bass.  Any suggestions?

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #3,712 of 39,998
David a 6SN7GTB will add more of a low end at the expense of the mids.

What about the TS or NU 6F8G's?

Also try the Ken-Rad, NU 6SN7's and Sylvania 6SN7W.

Jul 12, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #3,713 of 39,998
I am going to be busy this weekend!

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #3,714 of 39,998
Yes, more toys to play with!

Happy Listening.

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #3,715 of 39,998
Having a quick listen to the 300b integrated before the bbq party arrives (Yes, Clayton, another BBQ!). Using the JJ 300B, Siemens C3G and Raytheon RK-60 Glenn sent me. That with the HE-500 and Violectric V800 sounds magical. Falco's Jeannie never sounded so good!

Still happy as a kid with the Glenn amp!

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #3,716 of 39,998
Quote:
Having a quick listen to the 300b integrated before the bbq party arrives (Yes, Clayton, another BBQ!). Using the JJ 300B, Siemens C3G and Raytheon RK-60 Glenn sent me. That with the HE-500 and Violectric V800 sounds magical. Falco's Jeannie never sounded so good!

GlennAmps Rule! I was listening to my GlennMonoMono this morning. Sweeeeeet! I like that C3g. It is cute to look at amoungst the towering GZ37, UX-281 and the Gigantor300B.

Okay, Ultra-, I hope that you don't run out of bbq parties before I arrive next month otherwise I'll have to start one there myself.

Hey, Stavros, what is a Greek bbq picnic like? :)

Jul 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #3,717 of 39,998
Quote:

Your tube complement... very nice! Got any feather-light Astrud Gilberto vocals over there?

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #3,718 of 39,998
Quote:

GlennAmps Rule! I was listening to my GlennMonoMono this morning. Sweeeeeet! I like that C3g. It is cute to look at amoungst the towering GZ37, UX-281 and the Gigantor300B.

Okay, Ultra-, I hope that you don't run out of bbq parties before I arrive next month otherwise I'll have to start one there myself.

Hey, Stavros, what is a Greek bbq picnic like? :)

Clayton, I don't know I never survived one to the end yet, always fell asleep too drunk, too full..................
You'll have to tell me when we get one organised when you come over next!

Ultra get the Latin music blaring, otherwise it's no party!!!!!!
Enjoy it my friend.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #3,719 of 39,998
Quote:
Clayton, I don't know I never survived one to the end yet, always fell asleep too drunk, too full..................
You'll have to tell me when we get one organised when you come over next!

That's exactly how I'd imagine Ultra-'s bbqs to be. From 9.00-23.00 hours.
And, Stavros, we've got a year to plan this Greek Meet.

Jul 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #3,720 of 39,998
I know, but I am getting very excited already.

If you are still awake after 23:00hrs you can still go out with the rest of the wild bunch until sunrise.
They never go by time only by the moon, the stars and the sun.......

Dress code: swim gear and floaters..............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back