2359glenn | studio
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #37,081 of 39,986
Hey CD, what are your thoughts on those Visseaux 6J7MG's? They don't fit in the theme of your 6J5 thread, so I'm guessing a report won't show up there (or maybe you could make an exception?).

Related to the 6BX7s, I got a set of 8 Tung Sol's last year and am a big fan of them. I mostly used 4 at a time when I had them in regular rotation (I've been stuck on 6080 and 5998 power tubes for months). They are very spacious and detailed, but need a warmer driver tube complement otherwise they can be too much. They sound very different from using 4 or 6 GE 6BX7's. @Phantaminum hooked me up with a whole truckload of GE's when I got the GOTL from him. They are great too, but I figured I would try a different brand when I got the Tung Sol's. I need to go back to these power tubes soon as it's been a while.

TS 6BX7.png

I'm a big fan of the Tung-Sol 6BX7 too. I am currently driving them with Mullard El42 and to add a little sparkle and air, a GEC U18/20 rectifier. :)

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #37,082 of 39,986
(musing: Are they the C3Gs of the output world? I can hear your "I've been C3G'd" and perhaps ... "I've been 6BX7'd!")

I think you were the originator of the term "C3G'd" right? But I wouldn't put these Tung Sol 6BX7's in the same category; I've never been 6BX7'd. At least not with warmer tubes like RCA 6J5's along with them. Now if I used them with C3g's, or maybe some Tung Sol 12J5's, then I would surely kill the hair cells in my ears :smile_phones:. Also, the Tung Sol 12J5's I have (new in boxes from eBay, the seller still has them listed) are awesome, but only with warmer power tubes. I can't handle them with Tung Sol 6BX7's or even Tung Sol 5998's. I would be Tung Sol'd!!!.

The 6J7MGs by themselves are probably not what you would want to use. In combo with other drivers, they add warmth and something else I can't yet name. I keep trying them in different rolls. Today, I have yesterday's roll with just the 6J7MGs removed and I like the roll just about the same as with them. I think that is just because the RCA 6N7G is warm enough on its own. I think of them like the EL32s; good "dual driver" mixer options. I haven't yet found a "killer roll" where they really nail it, however. I think I might at some point. They have made me curious enough to go looking for other 6J7Gs yesterday too...

This is really my question about them, how they mix with a 6N7. If they are on the warmer side, then going with something a bit brighter as a 6N7 makes sense. The only 6J7's I have right now are RCA's (because I'm a fan of RCA driver tubes) and Sylvania's. All my 6J7's are metal. As far as I can tell, the 6J7 sound characteristics are similar between manufacturers to the 6J5/6C5 sound from the same manufacturer. I just don't have any experience with Visseaux.

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #37,084 of 39,986
In case anyone is interested, the least expensive sets of 4x Fivre 6C5G tubes here. Looks like 1951. Still not cheap by far, but the least expensive I have seen in a bit...

Boy they are pretty, too :wink:

I am listening to a pair of KR metal 6C5's KR 6J7's and 6x 6BX7's...and I wonder how much the Fivre 6C6G's would bring to the party!
Got some bad mamma-jamma bass, goin' on!

:xf_cool:

Jul 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #37,085 of 39,986
Boy they are pretty, too :wink:

I am listening to a pair of KR metal 6C5's KR 6J7's and 6x 6BX7's...and I wonder how much the Fivre 6C6G's would bring to the party!
Got some bad mamma-jamma bass, goin' on!

:xf_cool:

Do you like using dual tubes in the SN7 slot and also dual tubes in the C3g slots? I think I only tried that once when testing the 6J7's, almost all of my time with the 6J7 tubes was pairing them with a single 6SN7 or 6N7 tube. With the dual-dual combo I tried, I remember the sound being confusing, if that term makes any sense here. But I didn't give it a fair shot.

Jul 15, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #37,086 of 39,986
Brand question for you tube-smarties. I was looking for some 6J7G tubes. This tube is labeled "AnM (GEC)".

AnM - what is that brand? Is it really a relabelled GEC?

N.B. I'll be avoiding these 6J7GTs
Hi Chrisdrop,
Regarding your AnM tube I believe that it is a relabeled US made tube, possibly a Sylvania 6J7G. Look at these tubes:
1594790794820.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Tubes-Sm...075043?hash=item2ada003ca3:g:wOMAAOSwl6Rd11ah
It is a little hard to see the actual internal construction on the AnM tube, but that would be the giveaway.
Now, look at this Mullard tube:
1594790924224.png

As far as I know, only US and Russian manufacturers made all metal 6J7 (and 6J5) tubes. What does it say on the tube? AMERTY. My Swedish friend triod750 suggested that it may mean "American Type" which sounds logical.
Using the same logic, AnM could be interpreted to mean "American Manufacture."
We know that Mullard used US sourced all metal tubes:
1594791153417.png

Re the designations, the above is conjecture - I have not seen sources for this, but it is plausible IMHO.
If anybody has different information, please let me know.
PS: The metal Visseaux and Philips etc 6J7MG tubes supposedly are glass tubes with a metal cover.
1594791953549.png

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #37,087 of 39,986
First of all, hello everyone!
I have been following this thread for the past year while I’m waiting for my Glenn OTL to be made.
I’ve also collected some tubes for it recently.

The seemingly rare Mullard CV1933 (6J5 equivalent) AMERTY I‘ve aquired recently says it was made in Canada. I’ve heard that Mullard used the AMERTY brand for American, Canadian and Holland made imported tubes). But I have also heard it comes from “American type”, so I think you might be right with the AnM abbreviation too.
A239960F-22A4-4880-8A9A-4499CB6FB834.jpeg

Jul 15, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #37,088 of 39,986
I have been following this thread for the past year while I’m waiting for my Glenn OTL to be made.

The seemingly rare Mullard CV1933 (6J5 equivalent) AMERTY I‘ve aquired recently says it was made in Canada. I’ve heard that Mullard used the AMERTY brand for American, Canadian and Holland made imported tubes). But I have also heard it comes from “American type”, so I think you might be right with the AnM abbreviation too.
A239960F-22A4-4880-8A9A-4499CB6FB834.jpeg
Thanks both @mordy & @Lasollor

According to this, you guys are absolutely right: "This Mullard metal valve is marked Amerty - a term used by Mullard for valves that they imported from the USA in the early 1940's."

Quite the trend as Brimar is: "Brimar, which stood for "British Manufactured American Radio" (valves), used all American designations. STC/Brimar was a UK subsidiary of the American giant ITT (International Telephone and Telegraph)."

Jul 15, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #37,089 of 39,986
Yes regarding Amerty.

No regarding AnM. Which American company would put a crown on their tube boxes? 10E is a British military designation - not American. I'll see if I can dig up a link that talks about "AM" being "Air Ministry", although someone might be able to Google it before I get there today.

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #37,091 of 39,986

Hi Lasollor,
Thanks for the information! AMERITY would fit in with Canadian tubes as well since it is N. america. Re the above tubes perhaps they were made in June1940 (F40).
Here is a link with interesting pictures of Canadian vacuum tube manufacturing in 1944:
http://www.jproc.ca/marconi/tube_production.html
Another point: Originally British manufacturers may have used US tube designations, but then followed British designations. There are very old military(?) designations such as 10e/352 (=6J7G) that you cannot figure out,
CV 1933 (=6J5). Then there were military designations starting with M such as M8100 (=CV4010 or 6AK5 or 5654 or EF95 or 6F32 or 6J1P etc - you get the gist..).
If that's not enough, the British Valve Association (BVA) later started with their own designations. The reason was that they could not compete price-wise with the US manufacturers, so they they purposely made very different designations to obfuscate things. What do you think a 13D2 tube is? It is a Brimar 6SN7 (aka CV1988 or B65).
Of course, any GOTL owner knows what a 13D1 tube is - a 25V version of the Brimar 6SN7/13D2 (=25SN7GT).
How about 6/30L2? I think gibosi has a pair....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC804-Maz...385266?hash=item5b6066f9b2:g:OVkAAOSwiRFdlIW2
Note that this tube is not pre-owned but preloved LOL.
My head is spinning - need a break......

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #37,093 of 39,986
Thanks for the interesting link. Read through it but no mention of AnM.
"In 1941 the GB military services started to use the CV numbering system, common to the Army, Navy and Air Force. Before that the Army used the first letter A, the Navy used N and the Air Force V, with the second letter R for receiver, T for transmitter, I for indicator valves and so on. In RMorg many of these valves are filed under the 10E numbering system which was the Air Ministry storage ref. no. and in my opinion not really a valve designation (although it was printed on some valves) and no pointers are showing the equivalents in the A, N, V and CV systems. "
Also see my post one page back where "AM" = "Air Ministry".

And here's another link:
https://talesfromthesupplydepot.blog/2019/06/27/air-ministry-radio-valve/

Do I need to provide any more evidence to the jury? :)

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #37,094 of 39,986
"In 1941 the GB military services started to use the CV numbering system, common to the Army, Navy and Air Force. Before that the Army used the first letter A, the Navy used N and the Air Force V, with the second letter R for receiver, T for transmitter, I for indicator valves and so on. In RMorg many of these valves are filed under the 10E numbering system which was the Air Ministry storage ref. no. and in my opinion not really a valve designation (although it was printed on some valves) and no pointers are showing the equivalents in the A, N, V and CV systems. "

And here's another link:

Pretty compelling there @leftside. Thanks for the tube-know-how...

"The main valve is marked up with the A ‘crown’ M mark of the Air Ministry"

image-15.jpeg

and here on the eBay valves:

s-l1600.jpg

I went to order a pair of these, but looks like the seller expects perhaps 40 days to arrive. I have messaged him...

Jul 15, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #37,095 of 39,986
Brand question for you tube-smarties. I was looking for some 6J7G tubes. This tube is labeled "AnM (GEC)".

AnM - what is that brand? Is it really a relabelled GEC?

N.B. I'll be avoiding these 6J7GTs
Hi Chrisdrop,
If you are looking for a GEC 6J7 it has to look like this:
1594833133955.png
1594833171476.png

The GEC Z63 tube.

And here's another link:

I don't have any doubts that AM means Air Ministry and there is the crown of the Air Ministry, but I am still quizzed by the designation AnM - what does the n stand for? Is it a stylized crown? Does the tube look British made to you?
Starting an argument is the last thing on mind - just trying to understand what the designation means.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back