2359glenn | studio
Jul 8, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #37,051 of 39,983
I assume it is reasonable, based on this tax sticker, to assume this is from 1942? All other markings are meaningless to me on the Fivre tubes. "U.C.I 3" for example?

20200707_191112.jpg20200707_191127.jpg20200707_191149.jpg

Another thing, I think this is the getter pictured, and it looks like a 1/2 disc or something?

20200707_201215.jpg
Are these from that Italian seller on ebay?

Jul 8, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #37,055 of 39,983
All this tube stuff might seem complicated, but you must know that several members of this thread are longtime tube addicts with years of knowledge accumulated. For the average listener, you simply have to get a tube amp, plug in some tubes, turn it on, and away you go. How deep down the tube rabbit hole you want to go is completely up to you, many of the technical topics discussed are not mandatory to enjoy a tube amplifier. I do think that people who get into tubes tend to want to learn more about them, they are very fun to explore, but simply getting an amp and having a listen is all you need to do, it is very simple to get started.

Glenn's OTL has a lot of flexibility to use many different tubes, the option is there, but you can use the stock tubes for a time and be very happy with it. If having so many options is overwhelming, the other path is to get a tube amplifier that is optimized for one specific set of tubes.

That guy is nuts, he posted a pair of those RFT 6J5 tubes for $1,250 USD, I think I paid 60 Euro for them. I hope wealthy gullable audiophiles are not falling for it...
Some people must be buying them... otherwise he wouldn't keep listing.

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #37,056 of 39,983
Need help with a problem - every time I check on Head Fi on my iPhone I need to sign in. It does not help to check the box "stay signed in" - annoying to have to retype UN and PW every time.
I did not have this problem in the past.
Any advice?

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #37,057 of 39,983
Need help with a problem - every time I check on Head Fi on my iPhone I need to sign in. It does not help to check the box "stay signed in" - annoying to have to retype UN and PW every time.
I did not have this problem in the past.
Any advice?
Try Setting > Safari then look for "Block all Cookies" if it is turn ON or OFF. I think it need to be "OFF". Also might want to check iCloud keychain and see if your Head Fi login is stored as well. Good luck!

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #37,059 of 39,983
Thanks - Block all cookies is turned OFF.
iCloud Keychain in ON but "your information is encrypted and cannot be read by Apple."
What's next?
Yeah! Can you also check
Setting > Passwords & Accounts > Website & App Passwords to make sure you have Head Fi login stored? You may need to type in your log in info one more time from your phone and then select "Always Remember" or something like this from your iPhone Safari. Hope it works.

Jul 8, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #37,061 of 39,983
Yeah! Can you also check
Setting > Passwords & Accounts > Website & App Passwords to make sure you have Head Fi login stored? You may need to type in your log in info one more time from your phone and then select "Always Remember" or something like this from your iPhone Safari. Hope it works.
Nyet.
When I want to reply on my phone a screen comes comes up that says that this website uses cookies and by using it I consent to cookies. And then it asks me to log in again using all the credentials.....

Jul 8, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #37,063 of 39,983
@mordy

try reading thru here and post your issues if a thread on the topic hasnt already been created.

Jul 8, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #37,064 of 39,983
Sorry! I thought this should work as this is the setup on my iPhone.
I can access the email notifications of new posts on my iPhone but I can only reply if I sign in anew even though I put a check mark on keep me signed in.
However, I did a soft reset of my phone and apparently there is a new feature on the recent upgrade of the IOS. When the screen asks me to sign in I can do it using the finger print reader - less cumbersome.
Acting on your suggestion and adding the URL seems to have helped for this - thanks.

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #37,065 of 39,983
After @Monsterzero posted on another thread last night, I thought I'd go back to the cupboard and give some 6BX7s a go again.

...not a bad experience with these 6BX7s. They are all NOS. I got them some months ago but I have been a staunch Bendix supporter - just using them. I also never nailed a roll with 6BX7s and I had a difficult time originally getting a quiet set (in my amp).

4x Silvertone (label 312, 913). 312 = Sylvania. 913; I think the 9 is likely the year although unclear if 59,69? 13 = 13th week? I may be entirely wrong here, but google says maybe that is it. They also say AAW on them, not sure if that means anything. (actually only 3/4 tubes are date 913, 1/4 is 409)
2x GE 6BX7.

The 4x Silvertones I really didn't like as a 4 pack. I suspect the biggest difference is just adding 2 tubes to get 6 vs 4. I was wondering how much a mixed pack would make? Construction-wise, they all look very similar. I guess it could also be that they need/needed burn-in time?

I really hadn't had much of a good experience with 6BX7s and I am enjoying them at the moment. The seller has 2 more Silvertone 6bx7s which I might just pick up for consistency.

I suspect my @Zachik inspired "dummy plug" which helped reduce the noise floor on my amp was also helpful at getting a set of these enjoyable.

Fun times...

20200710_123527.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back