2359glenn | studio
Nov 17, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #34,276 of 39,986
6SN7, 6J5, C3G, 6SL7, 12SN7 and 12SL7.

Vu meters on the top (amp) chassis to indicate volume levels (but "bling" really!), volt meter on the power chassis to indicate voltage level and milliamperes meter on the power chassis which changes depending upon how many power tubes are being used - each pair of power tubes takes about 95-105 ma, plus an extra 5-10 ma for the biasing and these values are recorded/shown on this milliamperes meter.
Another question - how do the milliampere meters help in the operation of the power chassis? Balancing the channels? Avoiding overloading the amp? Biasing?

Nov 17, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #34,277 of 39,986
Nov 17, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #34,278 of 39,986
@leftside I haven't even heard that amp, but just from the looks it seems like endgame material! And it seems to do everything except for 6L6 series tubes. Have you compared the sound to your 300B or others like the WA33?
It can use 6L6 and related tubes with adapters, but as the amp isn't designed specifically for those tubes, I think I'll probably give that a miss. At least for now anyway. A few comparisons to the 300B are on the thread I created. Summary version: I'm keeping both :)

The only thing missing is a giant red button that activates all tubes simultaneously :)

How are those Raytheon 6J5G? An eBayer is selling Ferranti-branded pairs for high prices, he thinks they are made in Britain...
I like the Raytheon 6J5G. I don't think I paid too much for them - about $30 each. NOS. Not sure you'll find them any different/better to others you have. Worth picking up as extra tubes if a seller has them though.

Another question - how do the milliampere meters help in the operation of the power chassis? Balancing the channels? Avoiding overloading the amp? Biasing?
Its a display meter. Shows the amp is operating with the expected figure for 2, 4, or 6 power tubes.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #34,279 of 39,986
20191117_221001.jpg

I don't get to just relax and listen to music as much as I'd like - but have been able to enjoy this combo for a couple minutes tonight after a long day. Special thanks to @Hansotek for turning me on to the ecc31 lately. Its fantastic. Also been messing around with those L63 tubes thanks to @Monsterzero and @L0rdGwyn - those are fantastic as well.

And thanks to Glenn as well of course!

Edit: Listening on verite open tonight.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 17, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #34,280 of 39,986
It took these quite some time to make it to me, but they finally arrived.

A matched pair of 1946 Sylvania

Matched pair is GEC 6J5G.....maybe from 1960

Hi whirlwind,
I just got the same Sylvania 12J5GT tubes as you have pictured - the only difference is that mine are from Dec 1946 whereas yours are from Sept '46.
I have played them for some 10-12 hours so far. The first 2-3 hours they did not sound good, but now they sound really nice. I am very curious how they compare to the L63 tubes. Maybe you will be able to make a comparison from memory or find the time to compare them.
To me the Syls have a light airy sound with excellent mid range and treble and punchy and low bass. Also wonder if they sound better than the metal base 6SN7W.

Nov 18, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #34,281 of 39,986
Hi whirlwind,
I just got the same Sylvania 12J5GT tubes as you have pictured - the only difference is that mine are from Dec 1946 whereas yours are from Sept '46.
I have played them for some 10-12 hours so far. The first 2-3 hours they did not sound good, but now they sound really nice. I am very curious how they compare to the L63 tubes. Maybe you will be able to make a comparison from memory or find the time to compare them.
To me the Syls have a light airy sound with excellent mid range and treble and punchy and low bass. Also wonder if they sound better than the metal base 6SN7W.

Hi mordy,

I am afraid that I will not be able to compare them as I do not have an adapter to use these tubes for my OTL amp.
I actually bought these tubes just to stash for my new amp.

When I had @L0rdGwyn adapter and metal base Sylvania 6J5GT tubes here....I much liked them and found them to be airy, with great mid range and treble also with a very nice bass
I have a few 6/12 SN7's from the the 40's and 50's and they all sound nice.

Here is my pair of Metal base 6J5GT and the Sylvania 12J5GT
Sorry the pics are not very good.
I originally thought the construction was different, but after looking at both the only difference in mine are the
plates are grey on my metal base 6J5GT and black on my 12J5GT

Metal base 6J5GT
DSC03336.JPG

Sylvania 12J5GT
DSC03452.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #34,282 of 39,986
You know what the worst (and best) part of waiting for a Glenn amp is? Every month that goes by, I think, "hmm, maybe I want X upgrade too. Oooh, might as well get Y upgrade as well". So the longer I wait, the more expensive my GOTL is getting! It's gone from $1300, to $1500, to $1600, and now I'm debating whether or not I want to go full Yamamoto sockets. Send help.

Nov 18, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #34,283 of 39,986

I don't get to just relax and listen to music as much as I'd like - but have been able to enjoy this combo for a couple minutes tonight after a long day. Special thanks to @Hansotek for turning me on to the ecc31 lately. Its fantastic. Also been messing around with those L63 tubes thanks to @Monsterzero and @L0rdGwyn - those are fantastic as well.

And thanks to Glenn as well of course!

Edit: Listening on verite open tonight.

Yeah! That ECC31 hasn't come out of my GOTL in a long time.

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #34,285 of 39,986
I've got a new headphone amp :) Early impressions are absolutely fantastic. Will share more thoughts tomorrow in a separate/new thread, after more listening. It's a beast. Even bigger than the Glenn 300B. Just running with GE power tubes for the time being.

Oh wow it's finished already. Congrats! Looking forward to reading your impression posts.

Nov 18, 2019 at 6:24 PM Post #34,286 of 39,986
So at the risk of ridicule for bringing up the topic again...

@Gopher represents a hi end cable company,and recently sent me a $800.00 USB cable to try,Final Touch Audio Callisto.

Unlike headphones,amps,DACs or even tubes many people scoff at the prospect of how much of a difference a cable,let alone a USB cable can make in ones system. Given the snake oil mentality that I know many members have,I approached the cable with a certain degree of skepticism before putting it into my chain. Almost instantly I noticed a massive change.... Like Wow! What a difference! Im not talking small,incremental changes either. In fact,I would say it changed the sound of my system more than it did when I went from my Vinshine to my TRP,which was no small change itself. It completely transformed everything I am hearing. Theres so much information in a given song that im hearing that I literally had no idea was even there after over fifty years on this planet.

The staging goes from 3D to hyper 3D and im able to hear so much more detail across the board. The separation is off the charts.

Now my report isnt all rosy. Im noticing less midbass slam,but it could be because the cable itself has only about 50 hours on it,so perhaps this aspect will improve.

FWIW I get no kickbacks or have any financial interest involved whatsoever in this venture. Im just reporting what im hearing. Some of us will not blink an eye dropping $800.00 on a NOS pair of great tubes. While many members of this forum will laugh at that thought,those of us in this thread know what great tubes can do to the way we hear music. Im telling you here and now,this cable has made a ginourmous difference in what im hearing. Its almost like an entirely new system to be honest.

If the midbass returns to its previous state I will be purchasing one for myself.

Nov 18, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #34,287 of 39,986
So at the risk of ridicule for bringing up the topic again...

@Gopher represents a hi end cable company,and recently sent me a $800.00 USB cable to try,Final Touch Audio Callisto.

Unlike headphones,amps,DACs or even tubes many people scoff at the prospect of how much of a difference a cable,let alone a USB cable can make in ones system. Given the snake oil mentality that I know many members have,I approached the cable with a certain degree of skepticism before putting it into my chain. Almost instantly I noticed a massive change.... Like Wow! What a difference! Im not talking small,incremental changes either. In fact,I would say it changed the sound of my system more than it did when I went from my Vinshine to my TRP,which was no small change itself. It completely transformed everything I am hearing. Theres so much information in a given song that im hearing that I literally had no idea was even there after over fifty years on this planet.

The staging goes from 3D to hyper 3D and im able to hear so much more detail across the board. The separation is off the charts.

Now my report isnt all rosy. Im noticing less midbass slam,but it could be because the cable itself has only about 50 hours on it,so perhaps this aspect will improve.

FWIW I get no kickbacks or have any financial interest involved whatsoever in this venture. Im just reporting what im hearing. Some of us will not blink an eye dropping $800.00 on a NOS pair of great tubes. While many members of this forum will laugh at that thought,those of us in this thread know what great tubes can do to the way we hear music. Im telling you here and now,this cable has made a ginourmous difference in what im hearing. Its almost like an entirely new system to be honest.

If the midbass returns to its previous state I will be purchasing one for myself.

Not going to lie D, probably six months ago I would have scoffed and thought something like "but it's all just 0s and 1s". But my mindset has changed...ever since I heard significant and undeniable (for me) improvements when changing the coupling cap resistors in my GOTL, or while having the Amber 3 on loan versus better measuring SS DACs, I am very much taking a "don't knock it 'til you've tried it" approach to audio gear, especially gear that I otherwise would never have experimented with. I am about to put a deposit down on a DAC that uses a tube-clocked USB to SPDIF implementation, from a builder who takes the quality of digital data transfer very seriously, so if I am willing to try that, I better be willing to try a fancy USB cable! I am being more-opened minded based on my recent experiences and I am very excited to see what changes it brings. Thanks for sharing, will definitely keep this in mind for the future.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #34,288 of 39,986
I am very much taking a "don't knock it 'til you've tried it" approach to audio gear, especially gear that I otherwise would never have experimented with.
Just when we think weve heard it all in this hobby,and have already attained summit fi,along comes something so ridiculously expensive,yet offers tangible improvements that it cannot be denied. This hobby never fails to surprise,nor stop draining our wallets.

Nov 18, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #34,289 of 39,986
Just when we think weve heard it all in this hobby,and have already attained summit fi,along comes something so ridiculously expensive,yet offers tangible improvements that it cannot be denied. This hobby never fails to surprise,nor stop draining our wallets.

Hey, as long as the spending isn't unhealthy, you can afford it, and you are having fun, who cares. There are worse things to be addicted to than expensive audio gear :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back