2359glenn | studio
Nov 13, 2019 at 2:29 AM Post #34,216 of 39,983
If anyone is still using a computer as a source and has been thinking about a server,do it. Def a big improvement.
I was looking at that same server, a year or so ago, before deciding to build my own fanless PC...
@Monsterzero - do you plan on a video review of the new toy at some point? If so - I will be looking forward! And do not forget to discuss the transfer process from your old PC to the new Aurender. That would be very important!!

Nov 13, 2019 at 3:09 AM Post #34,217 of 39,983
I was looking at that same server, a year or so ago, before deciding to build my own fanless PC...
@Monsterzero - do you plan on a video review of the new toy at some point? If so - I will be looking forward! And do not forget to discuss the transfer process from your old PC to the new Aurender. That would be very important!!
Perhaps I may do a "review" but kinda like my TRP,I have nothing comparable to bounce it off of.

It sounds quite good,but accessing the internal hard drive is driving me insane. I bought it used,and the previous owner has 1.5 TB of music that I personally dont care for,but in order to remove the offending files I need to access it as a drive via my computer,and for the life of me my computer refuses to allow me access. Keeps saying I dont have permission.
Ive been at it for nearly 6 hours,Googling various searches pertaining to admin passwords,etc...nada.
Fred used to own this model. I might hit him up to lend me a hand. For the time being im playing files off of an attached hard drive,but I want access to the internal drive dammit. :frowning2:

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #34,218 of 39,983
Savoy Brown!! What did you listen to? Just played some Trower this last weekend....both so good :)

The Devil To Pay

No place is perfect. I have family in Phoenix AZ and they tell me that anybody who can leaves during July-August. Too hot with temperatures around 110F.
Maybe a snowbird set-up is ideal - winters in FL or AZ and summers in more temperate climates.....

When the wife and I retire, this is our plan.
We will live in Ohio until Thanksgiving....then leave and come back in March.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #34,219 of 39,983
My Aurender N100H arrived today. Huge difference in SQ. Its going to take me all of the day and most of the night to get over 2TB of music transferred from comp to server(PITA),but its worth it.
If anyone is still using a computer as a source and has been thinking about a server,do it. Def a big improvement.

Well, it depends on what type of computer. If it is a general purpose computer or a mini Mac I would agree with your statement.

I have a custom built, Xeon-based fanless computer which sounds better than any of the Aurender products (I think). I have owned all of them including a W20. Most of the people on this list can probably build one with a little assistance. I am running Roon server on it and stream the music to a Sonore ultraRendu endpoint.

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #34,221 of 39,983
Savoy Brown just released "City Night". I don't have "Devil to Pay" - somehow missed that one.

I have the new release. Devil To Pay is from 2015

Nov 13, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #34,222 of 39,983
Quiet tonight....
Here is a question somebody asked me: If you have unplugged your headphones/speakers, is there anything wrong in changing tubes without shutting down your amp?
I know that it can be done (taking care that you don't burn your fingers), but can it cause harm to your amp?

What do you think?

PS: I don't do this myself - I wait until the capacitors discharge (no sound) and then change the tubes.
It also appears to me that if you switch to a different voltage for the driver tubes without shutting off the amp first, the amp may not sense the voltage change and may damage the tube if you go from say 12V to 6V.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #34,223 of 39,983
Greetings All!

Anyone see our resident audio guru extraordinaire round here? Thinking of adding a lil” iron as a December treat. Perhaps, a tube phono preamp mm. Anyone lately get a stand alone phono pre from the studio?

Nov 14, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #34,224 of 39,983
Greetings All!

Anyone see our resident audio guru extraordinaire round here? Thinking of adding a lil” iron as a December treat. Perhaps, a tube phono preamp mm. Anyone lately get a stand alone phono pre from the studio?

Sorry I haven't been showing my face around here much lately :beyersmile:
abc3c807960804b28c9a260afa15e34b.jpg

Or were you waiting until then for someone?

Nov 14, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #34,226 of 39,983
My GEC drivers just arrived too

IMG_20191114_145117.jpg

:)

Nov 14, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #34,228 of 39,983
I never thought that I would miss the GEC 6as7g but I did. So out comes the 6 x 6bx7gt and in goes a pair of GEC 6as7g into GOTL. Didn't bother to switch the driver which happen to be a Tung Sol 12SL7GT black glass round pates. Beautiful, exquisite sound. Volume is at 2pm !!! for the same loudness as 6 x 6bx7gt but there is a consolation. This pair of GEC 6as7g is ultra silent between songs at 2pm on the volume dial.

I'm so done with rolling tubes but I do love Verite with GOTL .... with just about any tube combinations. The tube glow from these GECs is just simply amazing.

Then I switch to this setup again and I'm smiling now. :)

GEC B36, GEC 6080 + GEC 6as7g. Not partial to using the same brand but I'm liking this combination. GEC has that unique lovely tone.

DSC_0009.JPG

Nov 14, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #34,230 of 39,983
Quiet tonight....
Here is a question somebody asked me: If you have unplugged your headphones/speakers, is there anything wrong in changing tubes without shutting down your amp?
I know that it can be done (taking care that you don't burn your fingers), but can it cause harm to your amp?

What do you think?

PS: I don't do this myself - I wait until the capacitors discharge (no sound) and then change the tubes.
It also appears to me that if you switch to a different voltage for the driver tubes without shutting off the amp first, the amp may not sense the voltage change and may damage the tube if you go from say 12V to 6V.

Hello Mordy,

I have "hot swapped" many times...headphones unplugged of course. Never had a problem.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back