2359glenn | studio
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #33,796 of 39,998
Any B65 left?

Sorry, I never sought out the B65/36 since I owned the L63. I also do not have the ECC33, and my pair of Brimar CV1988 have already been sold.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:38 PM Post #33,797 of 39,998
Very exciting. I'm sure everyone is looking forward to more photos of the wood GOTL. Do you have a companion for the GEC tube? That brown base will look nice with the wood frame.

Yes I do have a pair of the GEC. I'm stoked to finally be able to use both together. I will certainly post some good pics!

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #33,799 of 39,998
Steel. My entire 6SN7 collection is going on sale. If there is something specific someone is looking for, let me know. Otherwise they will be sacrificed to the Lyr 3 thread.
I just read that the 7802 is technically 6Sn7. So you will sell me a pair,right?!?:ksc75smile:

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #33,800 of 39,998
Sorry, I never sought out the B65/36 since I owned the L63. I also do not have the ECC33, and my pair of Brimar CV1988 have already been sold.

Do you have an ECC32? That one is also on my short list (as is the B65). Good deal on the TS BGRP. It's my favorite so far, with ECC33 a close second and TS 6SU7GTY / TS mouse ears tied for third.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #33,801 of 39,998
Steel. My entire 6SN7 collection is going on sale. If there is something specific someone is looking for, let me know. Otherwise they will be sacrificed to the Lyr 3 thread.

Aww. I might have jumped on that if they were copper. I wouldn't mind having a single to put in the OTL.

It might be all in my head but the steel ones seem more dry in the mids to me.

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:42 PM Post #33,802 of 39,998
I have been watching for a pair of those Ken Rad metal base tubes, but have not found a pair that I like yet....yours look very nice.

Must be tube day in Ohio today as I came home from work to a haul also.

Sylvania 6J5GT Metal Base

Tung Sol 6J5GT Metal Base

Wowzers!! Nice haul there Joe! Can't wait to hear the listening report!!

:)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #33,803 of 39,998
Do you have an ECC32? That one is also on my short list (as is the B65). Good deal on the TS BGRP. It's my favorite so far, with ECC33 a close second and TS mouse ears / Sylvania metal-base tied for third.

I do have ECC32, but they are not technically 6SN7, so they stay :ksc75smile: sorry! Highly recommend them, but they are bonkers expensive.

I just read that the 7802 is technically 6Sn7. So you will sell me a pair,right?!?:ksc75smile:

Lol my 7802s are in a safe sealed into the concrete of the basement, I just put them back, I can't get them out again for at least a year! Sorry D :L3000:

Oct 29, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #33,804 of 39,998
OK...they light up. time to listen to a few albums.

DSC03384.JPG

Oct 29, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #33,805 of 39,998
Lol my 7802s are in a safe sealed into the concrete of the basement, I just put them back, I can't get them out again for at least a year! Sorry D :L3000:

Damn,my Jedi Mind Control is losing its effectiveness!

Oct 29, 2019 at 8:43 PM Post #33,807 of 39,998
I will be watching these developments as well. This is an interesting experiment you are running.
Hi GDuss,
So far I have rolled Sylvanias, Ken-Rads and National Union of the 6C5 and 6J5 varietes glass and metal. Don't know yet if there is a marked difference between 6C5 and 6J5 tubes and between metal and glass.
What I noticed is that the "house sound" seems to be there, whatever that means.
Re triple drivers JV told me that some headphones don't like triple drivers (no correspondence to ohm ratings). I put in a pair of 1939-40(?) Tung Sol Mesh 6C5GT/T and was disappointed at how they sounded compared to the Syls, K-R and the NU. One is also noisy - have to try a heat treatment later.
Then it fell into my mind (even though I listen via speakers) that maybe the TS tubes don't like competition and pulled out the pair of TFK tubes. Voila! Sounds much better!
Now, if Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plate (TSBGRP) is good, shouldn't Tung Sol Clear Glass Round Mesh Plate (TSCGRMP or TSGRMP for short) sound better? But one channel sounds like late summer with the crickets making noise in the background....
Otherwise very good - first impression at least.
Another episode on the TD (Tube Discovery) channel......
And now the obligatory picture - the TS tubes stand guard over the BX minions:
upload_2019-10-29_20-40-44.png

Look UT - no tubes in the C3g sockets!

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:29 PM Post #33,808 of 39,998
Hi GDuss,
So far I have rolled Sylvanias, Ken-Rads and National Union of the 6C5 and 6J5 varietes glass and metal. Don't know yet if there is a marked difference between 6C5 and 6J5 tubes and between metal and glass.
What I noticed is that the "house sound" seems to be there, whatever that means.
Re triple drivers JV told me that some headphones don't like triple drivers (no correspondence to ohm ratings). I put in a pair of 1939-40(?) Tung Sol Mesh 6C5GT/T and was disappointed at how they sounded compared to the Syls, K-R and the NU. One is also noisy - have to try a heat treatment later.
Then it fell into my mind (even though I listen via speakers) that maybe the TS tubes don't like competition and pulled out the pair of TFK tubes. Voila! Sounds much better!
Now, if Tung Sol Black Glass Round Plate (TSBGRP) is good, shouldn't Tung Sol Clear Glass Round Mesh Plate (TSCGRMP or TSGRMP for short) sound better? But one channel sounds like late summer with the crickets making noise in the background....
Otherwise very good - first impression at least.
Another episode on the TD (Tube Discovery) channel......
And now the obligatory picture - the TS tubes stand guard over the BX minions:

Those mesh plates are awesome! Make them look armored, ready for battle.

:)

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #33,809 of 39,998

Thanks!

These are some pictures of the PL when I had it. Sometimes I wish I hadn't sold it off. Makes a beautiful headphone amp. :ksc75smile:

It certainly is a beautiful amp. My limited but wonderful experience with this amp might just push me to use 12au7 and el34

Hey there, you have an open invitation to come listen to the GEL3N. Just drop me a PM.

Great invitation.

@Ramenik you may want to use this invitation , could be of great help to you...nothing like hearing it for yourself.

I might just take u up on that if I didn't live halfway across the globe from the states :sob:

Well first, Philips manufactured the EL3N in at least four different factories -- Eindhoven, Holland; Blackburn/Mullard, England; Vienna/WIRAG, Austria and Loewe Opta, Berlin. And tubes manufactured in these factories all sound different. Further, browsing eBay listings, you will see Belvu-Mazda, Tungsram, Visseaux and perhaps others. So it is certainly possible to roll different EL3N. Plus, with adapters, it is possible to roll EL34 and similar pentodes. So while the 'rabbit hole' is not as wide and deep as that of the GOTL, it's certainly big enough to jump in. lol :)

These tubes all have very interesting history. And jump in I will lol. Definitely looking forward to it.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/page-2054#post-15194257

Here's a link to the post I shared a couple of months ago too.

Thank you so much!

OK...they light up. time to listen to a few albums.

Is this the gel3n but using kt66 sockets as output?

Oct 29, 2019 at 9:51 PM Post #33,810 of 39,998
I might just take u up on that if I didn't live halfway across the globe from the states

@Sound Trooper who invited you is from Singapore, the island with swaying coconut trees and lovely exotic food. I was from there too ... many years ago and will be making a visit next June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back