2359glenn | studio
Aug 9, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #28,411 of 39,986
Then they did something interesting, prompted by @Xcalibur255 question.....
Glenn is there not enough gain or voltage swing available to try this as a single stage design? Would be cheaper and even better sounding with fewer parts if it could be pulled off. The best coupling cap is no coupling cap at all.

And so it evolve. To be continued...

I still believe very strongly that the ultimate amp build would be a single gain stage EML 20 or 30 with Amorphous core OPTs. It might not be the very last word in dynamics, but it could very well be the last word in just about everything else. I've never heard the tubes so this is all based on thin air really, it's just a strong gut feeling of mine.

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #28,412 of 39,986
Just make sure you don't back yourself into a corner where you have NO options. This is basically what I did with my 45 and I have some regrets about it. If I could go back in time I would have asked Glenn to use 6SN7s in the driver stage instead of the C3g. Maybe it would be a touch less transparent, but there would be far more tuning options to dial in the tone.

I will count on tube rectifiers for tuning options and when I am bored, will get one of Deyan's adapter and stick in my Fivre 6v6g. :)

Will get a EL3N driving EL3N amp in a large chassis in black, with pre-amp out and 3 sets of RCA inputs and Deuland's caps and Gold Point 47 steps attenuator and Gold Point switch for one and two stage and lastly it will have 2 round VU meters for some blink - the last is optional if Glenn tells me I'm crazy.

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:33 PM Post #28,413 of 39,986
The truth of my situation that I'm very slowly coming to grips with is that there probably is no amp, headphone or speaker out there that will work for me anymore. I had something......shall we say.......... bad happen to my ears last year. Enough time has passed that I don't think it's ever going to get better now. Outside of very low volume levels pretty much everything I listen to sounds awful to me now. If I had to describe it, it's like the music is being screamed at me through a metal trash can being used as a megaphone.

Music was my ONLY source of joy in life....... so I haven't had a great time dealing with it.

This is probably too personal to be airing on the forum like this.... guess I'm in a weird mood tonight.

I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope it will pass and your hearing will be restored.

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #28,414 of 39,986
I will count on tube rectifiers for tuning options and when I am bored, will get one of Deyan's adapter and stick in my Fivre 6v6g. :)

Will get a EL3N driving EL3N amp in a large chassis in black, with pre-amp out and 3 sets of RCA inputs and Deuland's caps and Gold Point 47 steps attenuator and Gold Point switch for one and two stage and lastly it will have 2 round VU meters for some blink - the last is optional if Glenn tells me I'm crazy.

I don't think Glenn is recommending the Duelands anymore, Matt. He had one leak oil inside a 300B. Maybe some Jupiter caps.

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #28,416 of 39,986
And if Deyan can make me EL11 to EL3N adapters, I can stick in the EL11s in the drivers position. So that's a lot fo tuning options - if necessary.

Aug 9, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #28,418 of 39,986
Just fair warning, I'm bidding on those GEC 6AS7G's. Stay out of my way or else!!! :angry:

Aug 9, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #28,419 of 39,986
Aug 9, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #28,421 of 39,986
R u h***n(427)? I am 0***0(20). I will stop there. JK

Too expensive for a used pair. :)

Yea... They're getting close to my cut off but damn, they're so hard to find these days.

Aug 10, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #28,425 of 39,986
Wow guys so interesting. Page 1893 has quite some things I've never heard pf over the years. Senn. HD-250 and 580. I've tried the 280, 380, 579 which was a standout, 598, 600, 650, 660 S which was a major disappointment, and a few higher. Mainly I'm using the 380 for good closed 'cans and the 600 with an upgraded silver cable for good linear / punchy openbacks.

UT mentioned a user swapped 'Hexfreds' on the GEL3N amp. Was he rolling an op-amp?

Also that's interesting that the sound of the EL3N's can be described as airy, sweet, clear, punchy, etc. on the GEL3N amp - no doubt due to the prowesss of the amp itself and proper implementation, because on the Elise & Eforia with adapters anyway, they sounded the opposite - lush, slow, fairly dark yet still a great tone as if they have a lot of potential... One thing they always did great though was soundstage.

I still think the EL3N will sound beast then maybe the EL11 , EL3 , 6M6 I haven't tried the later 3 yet.
But I think the Philips EL3N sounds better then other brands like Tungsram that I have tried.
I have 6 Philips EL3N spurred on by UT's proclaim of them on the F.A. threads back in 2016. Those were the most readily available and perhaps cheapest, as well. I do wonder however if a GEL3N with 6x slots for EL3N (or 6x EL34 etc.) would yield even better resolution? In every case without fail I've always gotten better sound from 8x tubes with my adapted Euforia than 4-6x. (improved transient response, instrument separation, soundstage, bass definition, etc. depending on synergy of course with both tubes and headphones). Maybe 6x. EL3N + 2x rectifier or driver tubes as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back