2359glenn | studio
Jun 20, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #27,301 of 39,986
These Chinese tubes always make me suspicious because of the marketing involved. It appears to me that the same tube is sold at many different price points with increasingly fancy artwork, colors and boxes (and warranties).
Look at the price sheet for the Blue Glass Sophia 6SN7 equivalent; click on the down arrow in the Options box:
https://sophiaelectric.com/collections/input-driver-tubes/products/pages-se-new-6sn7
You can pay $100 or $200 for the same tube. The difference is an A B C grading and choosing 30 day or one year warranty.
All other reputable manufacturers would reject inferior stock and only sell one grade. The only manufacturer that would select the top 10% was Siemens with the C3g - the C3gS. (However, the S was handwritten on the box with a marker.....)

Hi mordy,

The C3g/s were suppose to be the top few percent, I have a couple pairs, except my tubes have the s on the top of the tubes. These indeed are Siemens.
DSC02785.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #27,302 of 39,986
There is a British seller that has 2 pairs and one single GEC 6AS7G/A1834 for sale.
They measure on average 26mA (pair), 28mA (pair) and 35mA (single).
Upon my request he answered that 35mA is minimum good and 40mA NOS.
Are the first two pairs usable at all?
I asked the same question, and I won't be bidding. I'm quite happy with tubes that test at 70% - 80% NOS, but not below. The fact that he doesn't say what his tube tester specifies as "minimum good" (unless you ask) is not a good sign...

The single should be fine, but I wouldn't be sure how long the two pairs will last.

Jun 20, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #27,303 of 39,986
These Chinese tubes always make me suspicious because of the marketing involved. It appears to me that the same tube is sold at many different price points with increasingly fancy artwork, colors and boxes (and warranties).
Look at the price sheet for the Blue Glass Sophia 6SN7 equivalent; click on the down arrow in the Options box:
https://sophiaelectric.com/collections/input-driver-tubes/products/pages-se-new-6sn7
You can pay $100 or $200 for the same tube. The difference is an A B C grading and choosing 30 day or one year warranty.
All other reputable manufacturers would reject inferior stock and only sell one grade. The only manufacturer that would select the top 10% was Siemens with the C3g - the C3gS. (However, the S was handwritten on the box with a marker.....)

I hear you on the tube pricing for the Sophia’s. I still want to try out those lightbulb looking tubes from Psvane. I love the way they look and people say they enjoy their sound but I’d prefer the reliability of other tubes (Chinese tubes are quite suspect to me) and the pricing is a bit too much imho.

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/sto...lobe-6sn7-se-pair-gf-limited-special-edition/

Jun 20, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #27,304 of 39,986
There is a British seller that has 2 pairs and one single GEC 6AS7G/A1834 for sale.
They measure on average 26mA (pair), 28mA (pair) and 35mA (single).
Upon my request he answered that 35mA is minimum good and 40mA NOS.
Are the first two pairs usable at all?
It depends very much on the testing conditions. Standard is to use 100V plate with -30V grid and 100mA is new value with under 60mA reject. Now if you tweak the voltages you can have a scenario where 40mA is the new value as the tube will output based on the input. Very fishy in this case, I'd stay way.

Jun 20, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #27,305 of 39,986
@mordy how do you like your Heerlen-made E180CC in the GOTL? Wondering if it is worth giving some of these tubes a try, can be had a very reasonable prices. Similar gain to the C3g (46 vs 41).

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #27,306 of 39,986
I hear you on the tube pricing for the Sophia’s. I still want to try out those lightbulb looking tubes from Psvane. I love the way they look and people say they enjoy their sound but I’d prefer the reliability of other tubes (Chinese tubes are quite suspect to me) and the pricing is a bit too much imho.

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/sto...lobe-6sn7-se-pair-gf-limited-special-edition/
Hi Phantaminum,
Looked at the globe shaped Chinese tubes and read a long winded and curious review
https://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/shuguang_globe_6sn7_e.html
which only reinforced my impression of these Chinese manufacturers concentrating on looks and hype.
The reviewer summed it up by saying: "If you already own great NOS 6SN7 valves, and there are other areas where your system needs improvement, the money would be better spent there." These sell for $375/pair.
They are said to be co-developed by a Canadian distributor called Grant Fidelity. Reading through their material in the past they stated that other eBay sellers that sell the same tubes cheaper are selling inferior stock.
The failure rate of these Globe tubes must be astronomical since they say that "In order to ensure this Special Edition globe shape 6SN7 to be of the best possible quality, we actually throw away over 50% of all finished production tubes not to compromise on final quality."
sylvania-tube-crusher-thumb.jpg

Jun 20, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #27,307 of 39,986
Hi mordy,

The C3g/s were suppose to be the top few percent, I have a couple pairs, except my tubes have the s on the top of the tubes. These indeed are Siemens.
This sounds more authentic than a handwritten S on the Siemens box. Thanks to my powers of imagination I thought that the S sounded a tiny bit better than the regular ones....

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #27,308 of 39,986
@mordy how do you like your Heerlen-made E180CC in the GOTL? Wondering if it is worth giving some of these tubes a try, can be had a very reasonable prices. Similar gain to the C3g (46 vs 41).
Would have to dig it out to try. ATM I am enamoured by the sound of the 1955 RCA 12SX7. I really should check out how it compares with my 1943 RCA 1633.
But you asked....
OK, found the E180CC in the fifth shoebox, in the left pile, but I digress....
This tube I acquired courtesy of Phantaminum. My notes say: TOPVAC RADIO TUBE E180CC, Philips Herleen August 1966.
upload_2019-6-20_23-9-29.png

On first impression sounds fine, but in comparison with the 12SX7 it does not have the full low end grunt and while the treble might have a tad more detail, it is thinner sounding and brighter. Also higher gain but very quiet. On the other hand it could be that the tube is new and may have better synergy with other tubes than what I am using. YMMV.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #27,309 of 39,986
Would have to dig it out to try. ATM I am enamoured by the sound of the 1955 RCA 12SX7. I really should check out how it compares with my 1943 RCA 1633.
But you asked....
OK, found the E180CC in the fifth shoebox, in the left pile, but I digress....
This tube I acquired courtesy of Phantaminum. My notes say: TOPVAC RADIO TUBE E180CC, Philips Herleen August 1966.

On first impression sounds fine, but in comparison with the 12SX7 it does not have the full low end grunt and while the treble might have a tad more detail, it is thinner sounding and brighter. Also higher gain but very quiet. On the other hand it could be that the tube is new and may have better synergy with other tubes than what I am using. YMMV.

Thanks for digging it out, Mordy, I appreciate it. I may pick up a cheap single and see if I like the character. Seems it is used often as a 12AT7 substitute, but with the lower gain, maybe more usable in the GOTL than the 12AT7. Then again, there are so many other driver options...oh boy.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #27,310 of 39,986

$375 for a pair a bit much for Chinese 6SN7s even though they look cool. Probably sound so so at best.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #27,311 of 39,986
That sucks. Might hit up Stavros to see if he has any Bendix remaining,though I think he said I got his last pair.
Received them yesterday. Dead quiet,and great sound.
I've been lusting after a pair since way back in my La Figaro 339 days,when @UntilThen would school me on great tubes.
Thanks @rosgr63
Well, my good friend Stavros, hooked it up again! I will have a Bendix 6080wb, soon. Thanks Stavros! Thanks Monster, for the suggestion!

Happy Friday!

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #27,312 of 39,986
Theres a used pair,clear glass,not blue,for $110.00. However after reading the comments here regarding them selling B Grade tubes,I will pass.

Jun 21, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #27,314 of 39,986
I have those :) i wish i could find a reputable dealer who can sell me no noise 6bx7s
I hear ya man... if you find a good place let me know too? The ones I have are noisy and totally bum me out. Can’t get into the music because I focus too much on that noise.

I’m tempted to try out that Florida tube place the one guy mentioned...
Finally won a pair of GEC 6080s. While I love 6AS7 equivalent power tubes (large and spacious sound stage), I love how tight and quick the 6080s sound. As much as I wanted a pair of GEC 6AS7s, I’ll settle on the cheaper variant. :)

Time to put a lock on my bank account.
I love my Chatham 6as7’s, so I would love to hear some 6as7 GEC’s!

Anyone know why it seems that all GEC variants are such good tubes? What’s the story on them?

Oh! I also forgot to mention and this may sound stupid- but when should I clean my tube pins? What are some signs that I should clean them?

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #27,315 of 39,986
I hear ya man... if you find a good place let me know too? The ones I have are noisy and totally bum me out. Can’t get into the music because I focus too much on that noise.

I’m tempted to try out that Florida tube place the one guy mentioned...

I love my Chatham 6as7’s, so I would love to hear some 6as7 GEC’s!

Anyone know why it seems that all GEC variants are such good tubes? What’s the story on them?

If you have warmer headphones do really try the Tung Sol/Chatham 7236s. They may not have as wide a sound stage as the 6AS7 but they’re becoming one of my favorite (and cheap) go to tubes. Great tone and timbre. Just not the TOTL separation that come with the expensive tubes. The driver tube can handle that job. :wink:

They pair well with the Verite/HD650 but were a little too bright with the Auteur.

Agreed on the GECs as some of the most beautiful sounding tubes out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back