2359glenn | studio
Mar 27, 2019 at 6:06 AM Post #25,606 of 39,984
I agree Joe. I like a clean look and that means as little adapter as possible. You have to admit this is a beautiful picture of a beautiful amp. :)

Yes sir it most certainly is, simple, elegant, sounds great and eliminates the chance of any unnecessary back round noise from any added adapters, for the folks that can't stand that kind of stuff.

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:29 AM Post #25,608 of 39,984
I would add... given that these multi-tube adapters are a PITA, it really isn't worth it unless you want to try something that is significantly different than anything else out there. For example, a pair of No 27 triodes. :)

2017-09-11 11.07.17.jpg

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #25,609 of 39,984
If you already have a B36 I would not bother buying them. Tubes with a grid cap tend to pick up noise on the wire leading to it.
Most GEC tubes sound good if you didn't have the B36 I would say go for it.

still hunting for a pair of GEC 6AS7G in the price range that you bought your set, Glenn

hehe

Mar 27, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #25,610 of 39,984
As I’ve been tube rolling for a while, the multi-adapter tubes were the last I tried. Primarily so I could use more of my favourite brand (GEC) of tubes. This is also the only way you’ll get to experience the ST “coke bottle” L63 and 6J5 tubes. These are beautiful tubes, and dead silent in my slightly temperamental WA22, so should also be dead silent with the GOTL. They are at the same level as the B65 and ECC32.

This is one of the rare occasions I’d say the amp looks ok with an adapter due to the nice looking ST style tubes. I’m currently using the Chinese adapters, but Deyan is currently building me custom adapters. If you don’t like the Chinese adapters, you can always contact Deyan.

Osram L63-908x677.JPG

Mar 27, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #25,611 of 39,984
After spending last night listening to the loaner 5998s until the wee hours of the AM,first with the GEC B36 and then the Mullard ECC35,I realized just how badly my system needs a permanent upgrade in the power tube area.
Im really enjoying the 5998s,but want to know what everyones opinions are of the other god-tier tubes.

5998 vs. GEC 6AS7G (cant find any) vs. Bendix 6080 wb. Any others im sleeping on?

What are the primary sound differences,which do you guys prefer,and why?

Also,any rectifier recs that have an airy,diffused sound. All my working rectifiers are varying shades of warm. Want to mix it up.

FWIW I prefer the GEC B36+5998s for the Verite over the ECC35.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #25,612 of 39,984
After spending last night listening to the loaner 5998s until the wee hours of the AM,first with the GEC B36 and then the Mullard ECC35,I realized just how badly my system needs a permanent upgrade in the power tube area.
Im really enjoying the 5998s,but want to know what everyones opinions are of the other god-tier tubes.

5998 vs. GEC 6AS7G (cant find any) vs. Bendix 6080 wb. Any others im sleeping on?

What are the primary sound differences,which do you guys prefer,and why?

Also,any rectifier recs that have an airy,diffused sound. All my working rectifiers are varying shades of warm. Want to mix it up.

FWIW I prefer the GEC B36+5998s for the Verite over the ECC35.

I’m in the same boat when it comes to the GEC 6AS7G and GEC 6080. They are very rare and very hard to find. I believe Hifishark pulls up the last one sold around 2017. It’s possible that Langrex may have a pair to sell or Stavros.

Bendix 6080WB can be found but for $400 a pair that’s pretty exhorbitant. You can get a Tung-Sol 5998 pair for around $250 or two Tungsol / Chatham 7236 for $90. On the other hand I would definitely fork the money over for the GECs.

Mar 27, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #25,613 of 39,984
The money isnt really the issue,within reason. Im willing to fork over the cash,but this will be a one-time splurge,my reward for winning my fantasy basketball league this year. Because its a one-time thing,I want to make the right choice.
So, 5998 vs. GEC 6AS7G vs. Bendix 6080wb,if all were same price theoretically,which of those provides what that the others do not?

Mar 27, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #25,615 of 39,984
I have all three, and I am currently using the RCA 6080 in the GOTL lol.

Yeah,the RCA 6080 for the price,I enjoy quite a bit,but the 5998s took the air,staging,bass depth and clarity to a whole other lvl on the Verite. For the Auteurs and my HD250s the 5998s werent that great as both can come off as being on the bright side for my tastes. The Verite will be my end game headphone until Zach comes out with something better(have mercy on my wallet @zach915m ) so im trying to squeeze every ounce of goodness out of them.

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:14 PM Post #25,616 of 39,984
Lefty, I do admit that picture of those L63 looks nice and that's because you arranged it symmetrically and neatly. In the company with the W421a and U52, it's a very rich tone... in every sense of the word. :)

Mar 27, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #25,617 of 39,984
One day, some time in the distant past, after several scotch, gin and tonic, I decided to write something about my power tubes. Rather than the usual audiophile way of describing these tubes, I thought I will present it in the AA way. So with my own consent because I'm the author, I shall quote it here again, with some alterations because the original is unprintable:-

Farmer's tubes

RCA 6080 - great for Johnny Lee Hooker, Jimmy Hendrick, Tupac, 50cents and all metal bands. Can't go wrong here. Strong bass, sand paper roughness to give Johnny's voice more credence.

GE 6AS7GA - For $10 a tube, don't ask me to do a one page review. It will produce tube warm and is quite engaging if you don't care too much about hearing everything... because you won't hear everything.

RCA 6AS7G - these aren't cheap anymore. I'm actually quite intrigued by these again. I think there's some use for these. They are probably the warmest, baddest ass bass producers. They will probably turn your HD800 into a LCD2.2. Amazing right. So get a pair and thank me later.

Svetlana 6H13C - I actually think they are not bad at all. Of course they are no where near the premium tubes but for the price, the enjoyment factor is quite high. So before you dash out and buy the above, know that these tubes can hold a candle to the others tiny flame.

Middle class tubes

Chatham 6AS7G - airy, breezy, fresh as morning sunshine.

Mullard 6080 - sweet Caroline, they are more sharp and energetic compared to the 'rounder' GEC 6080 but in my opinion, more fatiguing in long term listening. Alright before I rubbish this tube further, let me say that I actually like the Mullard 6080 very much. All tubes in this class have some class. They are that good.

Chatham 6520 - similar to the Chatham 6AS7G.

Tung Sol 7236 - this is a very interesting tube. It is the leaner brother of the Tung Sol 5998. Now you're stepping into classier territory and more damaging to your wallet. So beware....

Aristocratic tubes.

GEC 6as7g - Holy grail. Need I say more. When you have this, your only regret is you have only one pair. You are not going to worry that your bank manager has turn to whisky in the morning. You are not going to worry that the sun don't shine because the GEC 6as7g will shine brighter than the sun. Characteristics are smooth, slight warm, superb texture and despite the warm tilt, amazing clarity.

Bendix 6080wb - Sounds a lot darker and warmer than the GEC 6as7g, with a pronounced bass. In fact amazing bass weight and soundstage.

Tung Sol 5998 - this is the jack of all trades and master of nearly all. They call him the benchmark but he's more useful off the bench believe me. Energetic and impactful, with a sheen to the tone. It's a lively tone.

GEC 6080 - much lighter in tone than the GEC 6as7g but with very good clarity. Love using this tube with jazz of the George Benson variety.

However, despite all these, I still use my 6 x 6bx7gt most of the time. YMMV.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #25,618 of 39,984
One day, some time in the distant past, after several scotch, gin and tonic, I decided to write something about my power tubes. Rather than the usual audiophile way of describing these tubes, I thought I will present it in the AA way. So with my own consent because I'm the author, I shall quote it here again, with some alterations because the original is unprintable:-

Farmer's tubes

RCA 6080 - great for Johnny Lee Hooker, Jimmy Hendrick, Tupac, 50cents and all metal bands. Can't go wrong here. Strong bass, sand paper roughness to give Johnny's voice more credence.

GE 6AS7GA - For $10 a tube, don't ask me to do a one page review. It will produce tube warm and is quite engaging if you don't care too much about hearing everything... because you won't hear everything.

RCA 6AS7G - these aren't cheap anymore. I'm actually quite intrigued by these again. I think there's some use for these. They are probably the warmest, baddest ass bass producers. They will probably turn your HD800 into a LCD2.2. Amazing right. So get a pair and thank me later.

Svetlana 6H13C - I actually think they are not bad at all. Of course they are no where near the premium tubes but for the price, the enjoyment factor is quite high. So before you dash out and buy the above, know that these tubes can hold a candle to the others tiny flame.

Middle class tubes

Mullard 6080 - sweet Caroline, they are more sharp and energetic compared to the 'rounder' GEC 6080 but in my opinion, more fatiguing in long term listening. Alright before I rubbish this tube further, let me say that I actually like the Mullard 6080 very much. All tubes in this class have some class. They are that good.

Tung Sol 7236 - this is a very interesting tube. It is the leaner brother of the Tung Sol 5998. Now you're stepping into classier territory and more damaging to your wallet. So beware....

Aristocratic tubes.

GEC 6as7g - Holy grail. Need I say more. When you have this, your only regret is you have only one pair. You are not going to worry that your bank manager has turn to whisky in the morning. You are not going to worry that the sun don't shine because the GEC 6as7g will shine brighter than the sun. Characteristics are smooth, slight warm, superb texture and despite the warm tilt, amazing clarity.

Bendix 6080wb - Sounds a lot darker and warmer than the GEC 6as7g, with a pronounced bass. In fact amazing bass weight and soundstage.

Tung Sol 5998 - this is the jack of all trades and master of nearly all. They call him the benchmark but he's more useful off the bench believe me. Energetic and impactful, with a sheen to the tone. It's a lively tone.

GEC 6080 - much lighter in tone than the GEC 6as7g but with very good clarity. Love using this tube with jazz of the George Benson variety.

Ha, great read.
I definitely agree with the last four power tubes being the best, at least to my ears, but as you say....everybody's mileage may vary.
For the price, probably still tuff to beat six 6BL7/6BX7

For your next tier up...the Chatham 6AS7G is the one I like the best, but again....everybody will hear these differently depending on the rest of the chain and what headphones they use.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 5:01 PM Post #25,619 of 39,984

Farmer's tubes

Middle class tubes

Aristocratic tubes.

Hi UT,
Very funny - very much enjoyed your impressions. The only tube on your list that I don't have is the TS/Chatham 6520.
(I think that you have to add the Sylvania/Philips 6080 to the list somewhere.)

Now, all these tubes get high praise, but, the GOTL was designed differently than other amps; it was designed to sound great with inexpensive tubes, and the rules are different.
It appears to me that what we need is a top tube synergy list, but this is a work in progress.
No doubt you will contribute to this list when you get back your amp. Special prizes to the least expensive great sounding combinations.
tctmofoyjiiglkxouasf.jpg

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #25,620 of 39,984

Farmer's tubes

Middle class tubes

Aristocratic tubes.

Great review UT,thanks!

Now, all these tubes get high praise, but, the GOTL was designed differently than other amps; it was designed to sound great with inexpensive tubes, and the rules are different.

True,but some headphones,like the Verite can be a bit of a fickle bird. I def hear a massive improvement using the 5998s over my other tubes(Cetron/Chatham 6336)and RCA 6080s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back