2359glenn | studio
Dec 9, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #23,956 of 39,986
I don't know why when it snows in North Carolina the power goes out. This never happened up north when it snows.
Running on generator now but only have 4hrs of phone and internet before the battery's in the phone company's equipment go dead.
What a bunch of crap.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #23,957 of 39,986
How much snow do you have Glenn?

That sucks about the loss of power.

Dec 9, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #23,959 of 39,986
Stay safe.

Cold here, but zero snow.

Dec 9, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #23,961 of 39,986
30 mins with C3gs and 6 x 6bx7gt and it's singing beautifully with no ill effects. Forgot how lovely this combo can sound. So lively and crystal clear and sweet. Amp is perfect and will stay this way. :)

The inside of the amp still look perfect after one year. Nice.

Hi UT,
Based on what you see inside, is there any chance that the long C3g adapter pins from the Chinese sockets could touch something and cause a short?

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #23,962 of 39,986
Hi UT,
Based on what you see inside, is there any chance that the long C3g adapter pins from the Chinese sockets could touch something and cause a short?

There is no way the pins can come through the bottom of those sockets!!!
Probably the crapty Chinese side pin sockets are causing the problem.
The first EL3N anp I built I found out you get to put the tube in those Chinese sockets once if you take them out the next time they won't make good contact.
It is like the springiness of the contacts is gone after one use JUNK.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #23,963 of 39,986
There is no way the pins can come through the bottom of those sockets!!!
Probably the crapty Chinese side pin sockets are causing the problem.
The first EL3N anp I built I found out you get to put the tube in those Chinese sockets once if you take them out the next time they won't make good contact.
It is like the springiness of the contacts is gone after one use JUNK.
Hi Glenn,
The sockets under discussion are made for the EL32 tubes and use an octal base on the top part.
s-l1600.jpg

The question is what causes the scratchy noise, similar to a noisy volume control. Could it be that the anode wire and cap act as an antenna? Or it is something in the design of the circuit board/socket?
And what would be a possible fix?
Even though this adapter does not have a guide pin, it fits well - you just have to be careful inserting it.
Just heard on the radio that a snow emergency has been declared in the Carolinas and people are advised not to drive....

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #23,964 of 39,986
I too, doubt the length of pins has anything to do with the problem,

I know I have asked before, but once again:

There are currently three styles of EL to C3g adapters:

Octal->C3g for EL11/EL13
Side Contact-> C3g for EL3n/EL8
Octal w/Anode Cap Wire->C3g for EL32/CV1052

All THREE Mrs Xu adapters have the exact same problem?

:)

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #23,965 of 39,986
It is ridicules down here I used to live in up state New York do you think we stayed at home every time it snowed.
We would be in from October to April
Don't know what is wrong with those adapters it could be the tube is osculating.
Have you tried the adapters from that guy in Europe??

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #23,966 of 39,986
I too, doubt the length of pins has anything to do with the problem,

I know I have asked before, but once again:

There are currently three styles of EL to C3g adapters:

Octal->C3g for EL11/EL13
Side Contact-> C3g for EL3n/EL8
Octal w/Anode Cap Wire->C3g for EL32/CV1052

All THREE Mrs Xu adapters have the exact same problem?

:)

Yes all 3 adapters have the same problem now.

Dec 9, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #23,968 of 39,986
Do you know how she has them wired up. They should be wired from pentode to pentode no changing it to triode.

Yes I ask the question twice and she confirm it’s pentode to pentode.

The problem is it works for 2 days without issue then on the 3rd day I started hearing that noise. It’s not oscillations. It sounds like bees buzzing.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #23,969 of 39,986
Yes I ask the question twice and she confirm it’s pentode to pentode.

The problem is it works for 2 days without issue then on the 3rd day I started hearing that noise. It’s not oscillations. It sounds like bees buzzing.
Tried the EL32 adapters again with ferrite chokes on the anode wires and pieces of aluminum foil covering the anode caps.
upload_2018-12-9_14-1-39.png

Possible the scratchy noise has diminished, but it is still there. Also wonder if the ferrite chokes have an effect on the sound?
The Deyan adapters for EL11 and EL3N to C3g do not have any noise problems, but I do not have his adapters for EL32 to C3g so cannot compare for these adapters.
As far as I am concerned the EL32 are very nice sounding tubes, but the noise problems, most likely from the Chinese adapters, persist.

Dec 9, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #23,970 of 39,986
Another new problem is that the tubes tick loudly for a good 15 minutes after turning them on, and they also tick loudly when shutting off the amp - did not have this happen before.
I think somebody else mentioned something similar with the EL8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back