2359glenn | studio
Nov 26, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #23,641 of 39,986
I will probably not post any impression anymore. Life is too short to get into that kind of details. I will just rely in @UntilThen 's brilliant impressions.

Nov 26, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #23,643 of 39,986
If most here don't care about such details, then perhaps I should stop wasting my time...

I think that's only me Ken. I'm sure others do care. Don't get me wrong, I just don't have time to look into all those stuff if I will post an impression. Please continue providing details and ignore me.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #23,645 of 39,986
Well done. Again! Thanks. : )
Great to hear the sound via the C3g sockets is as good or better.

Now, THAT sounds like the first impression I had of the EL3N in the GOTL. Beautiful tube.
Could never choose between EL8 and EL3N, they are different, both fantastic to my ear.
Very happy and fortunate to have both. Not to mention the incredibly reasonable prices.
My thanks to the good folks who resurrected the EL3N.

Saw some TFK production numbers for EL13 in documents archived with radiomuseum.
Not a lot, only 100K versus 1.2M for another tube like EL11. EL13 only made in Ulm, EL11 in both Berlin and Ulm.
Almost all of the production for EL13 was 1950-52, just a few hundred in 1953-54.
That TFK production document was conveniently linked in the Philips Red Series article I posted previously.
No idea of production numbers for the EL8, but seem to be more easily available from a few German eBay sellers.

Looks like you will enjoy the next few months sorting through these great tubes!

There isn't much info on EL13 and EL11 but Ros manage to provide some info here... which is interesting. No mention of brands by the way. I have only seen EL13 in Telefunken brand. Even amongst Telefunken EL11, you have 2 different shapes. The slim version and the fat bottle version. I had the slim version a long time ago but I could not really recall how that sounded as one of the tube had a bad hum.

EL13 was introduced in 1949. That's about the time EL8 was introduced too. This is going by info from radiomuseum.

I have not heard the EL8 as my tubes have not arrived. I doubt it would be similar to EL3N but I would make no assumption until I hear it. The only people who have heard both EL8 and EL3N are Glenn and Ros.... and Ros did gave a very detailed impression of EL3N and EL8.

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #23,646 of 39,986
I will probably not post any impression anymore. Life is too short to get into that kind of details. I will just rely in @UntilThen 's brilliant impressions.

Oh you are going to give your impressions. :) As someone who only had c3g as drivers in GOTL, I want to know what your impressions are with EL8 and EL11, EL13 when you get them.

Btw Deyan is really quick with his adapter work. He told me he should have mine finished by today. I ordered both EL3N and EL11 adapters.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #23,647 of 39,986
If as Ros says there were about 100,000 EL13 produced then there must be some around but I hardly see any on ebay. I have been lucky to get a NOS pair. It has the numbers 467 mc00 on one box and on the other box 443 mc00.

So new and well preserved since the 50s. The original box with the paper wrapping are still as new.

IMG-2073.JPG

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:23 AM Post #23,649 of 39,986
Btw Deyan is really quick with his adapter work. He told me he should have mine finished by today. I ordered both EL3N and EL11 adapters.

Does Deyan sleep? I am impressed with how he communicates progress. Such a nice guy I reckon.

Nov 27, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #23,651 of 39,986
Does Deyan sleep? I am impressed with how he communicates progress. Such a nice guy I reckon.

He is very nice indeed. Communicates every detail. This is what he says...

And the first update is I have the bodies for the adapters machined and painted. I've noticed that people are wondering what are they made of. So the material is extruded polyamide 6 ( PA6 )

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #23,652 of 39,986
There isn't much info on EL13 and EL11 but Ros manage to provide some info here... which is interesting. No mention of brands by the way. I have only seen EL13 in Telefunken brand. Even amongst Telefunken EL11, you have 2 different shapes. The slim version and the fat bottle version. I had the slim version a long time ago but I could not really recall how that sounded as one of the tube had a bad hum.

EL13 was introduced in 1949. That's about the time EL8 was introduced too. This is going by info from radiomuseum.

I have not heard the EL8 as my tubes have not arrived. I doubt it would be similar to EL3N but I would make no assumption until I hear it. The only people who have heard both EL8 and EL3N are Glenn and Ros.... and Ros did gave a very detailed impression of EL3N and EL8.

Hi UT, those are Telefunken (TFK) production numbers.

Here is the discussion on that production log:
https://www.radiomuseum.org/forum/rs15_rs152.html#7
You can use Google or Chrome to translate the discussion.

If you want to view the production numbers for the EL11, EL12, EL13, open the first part, Fertigung der Werke Teil 1.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/forumdata/upload/tfk_fertigung_teil_1.pdf
Scroll down to the 18th page of 90.

Source article for that first link and EL8 information posted here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2359glenn-studio.600110/page-1472#post-14448678

Nov 27, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #23,653 of 39,986
In my experience, it is not this simple. Tubes manufactured in different factories by different companies sound different. So for example, EL11 manufactured by Valvo, Telefunken, Tesla, RFT, Tungsram will likely all sound different.

And therefore, when making comparisons such as these, it is necessary to know the factory. Most, if not all Philips EL3N were manufactured in a factory located in Vienna, Austria (WIRAG). In my experience, WIRAG tubes are in fact warmer and darker than tubes manufactured by Telefunken. But that does not mean that all EL3N are darker than EL11. In each case, it depends on the factory.

If EL11 and EL13 were manufactured in the same factory, for example, Telefunken, it is very likely than will sound very similar. If EL3N and EL8 were manufactured in different factories, they will likely sound different.

Therefore, in each case, I urge those of you posting your impressions to identify the factory. And it is important to understand that in many cases, the brand does not accurately indicate the factory. So it will often be necessary to do a little research. But you are not alone. Many here can help you.

Cheers
Ok I have still much to learn being a newcomer in the world of tubes for audio applications.
We used to diagnose and study old signal amplifiers (some of which had tube stages) and that's all the experience I have.
Thanks gibosi (Ken). I'll keep it in mind when assuming next time (and here I thought I could get it that simple...lol) :)

Nov 27, 2018 at 3:44 PM Post #23,654 of 39,986
Thanks Ros. Will go through in my free time. :)

Deyan is about to send out my adapters. Looking forward to receiving it, even though the adapters from Mrs Xu are working very well.... just not pretty.

Nov 27, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #23,655 of 39,986
I have a couple of nice 1949 rectangular cup getter Philips FDD20's. Are you guys using a FDD20 to 6SN7/12SN7 adapter in the GOTL? I presume a FDD20 to C3g adapter(s) could also be used?

IMG_2897.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back