2359glenn | studio
Nov 20, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #23,431 of 39,983
I don't see why not actually should work better in the 300B amp with higher B+ voltage.
I'll give it a try and report back when I get the adapters from Bulgaria.

All tubes with an EL11 base can also be used? I also have a pair of EL3N.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #23,433 of 39,983
I'll give it a try and report back when I get the adapters from Bulgaria.

All tubes with an EL11 base can also be used? I also have a pair of EL3N.

I was just thinking that. You 300b amp will light up the southern skies. :)

I will report on the EL13 tonight. Have been listening to it for a few days already.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #23,435 of 39,983
With all these EL11, EL8, EL13, EL3N drivers, would you say it's starting to sound close to the GEL3N amp but without the additional power?

I can’t answer that because I have not heard GEL3N but I doubt it’s similar sounding because I am using EL13s with 6 x 6bx7 and that’s dynamic sounding.

I am listening to these tubes in an OTL amp and GEL3N isn’t an OTL amp.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:05 AM Post #23,437 of 39,983
Crap yeah, you're right. I forgot that the GEL3N is transformer coupled...stupid me.
Thanks UT :)

That's not to take anything away from a transformer coupled amp because I think the GEL3N is brilliantly voiced. Just going with other's impressions of Glenn's 300b and EL3N amp, I think their trademarks are dynamics, slam and agility. This is certainly true of the GOTL.

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #23,438 of 39,983
There's been several recommendations concerning Mullard's ECC35. I have to say that it's probably the best tube I've heard in the GOTL paired with the Auteurs. As UT mentioned before, it's a very clear, articulate, dynamic, tube without any treble sharpness I hear in other tubes. Fantastic mids, timbre, and tone.

Thank you guys for steering me to them. I'll be putting these aside for the weekends when I can sit down with the Ceasar, my Auteurs, and a nice glass of whiskey.

I am glad you get to sample the ECC35. A fabulous driver in the GOTL. One that has captivated me until the arrival of the pentodes as strapped triodes. I really love EL11s with 6bx7gt. So much so I didn't change the tubes for 2 whole weeks. That's unusual for me.

Then the EL13s arrived....

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #23,439 of 39,983
The boxes are still new and so are the tubes. These EL13s are presented as NOS NIB in the truest sense of the word. How do they preserve so well. These are from the 40s and 50s. Even the boxes are in immaculate condition.

IMG-2072.JPG

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #23,440 of 39,983
The first listen and the EL13s sound as sparkling as the EL11s.... if not more so. That is a surprise because the EL13 are supposed to be half the power of the EL11.

It certainly doesn't sound like it's half the power because with the volume at 10am, it's as loud as the EL11s. With fast transients, great treble extensions, sparkling midrange and a bass that only strapped triodes can dish out, I'm loving the BIG presence with all the details and clarity that makes me love these EL13s in combination with 6 x 6bx7gt.

I have just ordered a pair of EL8. I need to hear for myself how different or similar the EL8 is to the EL13. Likewise I'm waiting on the adapters to test out EL11 vs EL3N.

IMG-2074.JPG

IMG-2076.JPG

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:59 AM Post #23,441 of 39,983
That's not to take anything away from a transformer coupled amp because I think the GEL3N is brilliantly voiced. Just going with other's impressions of Glenn's 300b and EL3N amp, I think their trademarks are dynamics, slam and agility. This is certainly true of the GOTL.

No no I didn't meant that in a bad way. I too consider the GEL3N a step-up from the GOTL. How big of a step-up depends on what tubes are used on the OTL. And both are killer amps!! I can just imagine what a 300B can sound like...

The first listen and the EL13s sound as sparkling as the EL11s.... if not more so. That is a surprise because the EL13 are supposed to be half the power of the EL11.

It certainly doesn't sound like it's half the power because with the volume at 10am, it's as loud as the EL11s. With fast transients, great treble extensions, sparkling midrange and a bass that only strapped triodes can dish out, I'm loving the BIG presence with all the details and clarity that makes me love these EL13s in combination with 6 x 6bx7gt.

I have just ordered a pair of EL8. I need to hear for myself how different or similar the EL8 is to the EL13. Likewise I'm waiting on the adapters to test out EL11 vs EL3N.

That is nice to hear! Can't wait to read your impressions :)

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #23,443 of 39,983
Who else is using a U18 to 5U4G rectifier adapter? Ken? I have these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-U18-U2...um-tube-adapter-socket-converter/291940484989

Glenn would like to take them apart to remove the resistor and wire them as a 3DG4. This would run them on the transformer instead of the resistor to prevent the the adapter getting hot. But, Glenn doesn't think he can get mine apart as they are filled with epoxy.

I have an adapter just like this....mine runs really hot .
If you get someone to make you another adapter that does not run hot...give me a heads up and I will get one.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #23,444 of 39,983

Good News. Thanks, UT.
Looking forward to the developing story. Definitely will have to try the EL13, with the C3g adapters.
I imagine there will be some differences between the EL8 and EL13, as you would normally find between factories/brands.
Been listening to the EL8 since July, still loving them months later. Don't like the 2fer adapter, eh, easy to ignore.
Maybe they will sound just as good in the C3g slots. Maybe better!
BTW, the EL8s are some of the quietest tubes, totally black, nothing, and that's with several pairs. Assume EL13s are the same.

Amazing that GOTL is so transparent and capable with all these tubes.

Nov 21, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #23,445 of 39,983
Do the EL3N and EL8 have the same pin layout? EL11 and EL13 as well?
If this is the case, then probably two sets of adapters are enough to try the EL family of tubes. A pair of adapters from Bulgaria costs 50 bucks shipped. Is that a fair price?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back