2359glenn | studio
Nov 9, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #23,221 of 39,983
I said that I will post some impressions of 3 different drivers paired with 6 x GE 6bx7gt. Well here it is. As always, they are my impressions, my ears and my gear, which is Yggdrasil and HD800. As a matter of interest, I also use my modded HD650.

Siemens c3g - The most revealing of the lot. There is an emphasis on treble sweetness and mid-bass punch. Very dynamic and energised. It's a very engaging tone but I don't think you want to live with just this set of tubes alone. You probably wouldn't because if you have GOTL, you would want at least a few sets of different tubes because our ears crave a change of tone every now and then.

Philips Miniwatt FDD20 - a very good driver. One that I have not highlight enough because I have far too many good drivers. It's quite similar to a Visseaux 6n7g but is more 'full' in tone and the texture is more organic. Treble extension is very good but it can sound sharp at times. Bass punch is good. All the ingredients for a good driver.

Telefunken EL11 - having listening to the above 2 drivers, the most apparent change when listening to the EL11 is the dip in treble sharpness. making my hd800 very comfortable to listen to. There's no lost in details, just not as sharp as the other 2. Vocals sound bigger and mids are more focused. I said before that EL11 sounds like big speakers whereas my Sylvania 6sn7w metal base sounds like my small super monitors. This gives some idea of the change in soundscape. FDD20 sounds bigger than 6sn7 but is never anywhere near the EL11.

Bottom line is I like the EL11 but I would not be satisfied to live with that as the only driver because there are just too many good sounding tubes for the OTL amp.... and my ears likes a change of tone every now and then. I suspect most of us do. :)

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #23,222 of 39,983
Code MX4 A7E, so it is a Philips tube made by WIRAG, "Philips Austria".

Good to know! Thanks Oskari.

I said that I will post some impressions of 3 different drivers paired with 6 x GE 6bx7gt. Well here it is. As always, they are my impressions, my ears and my gear, which is Yggdrasil and HD800. As a matter of interest, I also use my modded HD650.

Siemens c3g - The most revealing of the lot. There is an emphasis on treble sweetness and mid-bass punch. Very dynamic and energised. It's a very engaging tone but I don't think you want to live with just this set of tubes alone. You probably wouldn't because if you have GOTL, you would want at least a few sets of different tubes because our ears crave a change of tone every now and then.

Philips Miniwatt FDD20 - a very good driver. One that I have not highlight enough because I have far too many good drivers. It's quite similar to a Visseaux 6n7g but is more 'full' in tone and the texture is more organic. Treble extension is very good but it can sound sharp at times. Bass punch is good. All the ingredients for a good driver.

Telefunken EL11 - having listening to the above 2 drivers, the most apparent change when listening to the EL11 is the dip in treble sharpness. making my hd800 very comfortable to listen to. There's no lost in details, just not as sharp as the other 2. Vocals sound bigger and mids are more focused. I said before that EL11 sounds like big speakers whereas my Sylvania 6sn7w metal base sounds like my small super monitors. This gives some idea of the change in soundscape. FDD20 sounds bigger than 6sn7 but is never anywhere near the EL11.

Bottom line is I like the EL11 but I would not be satisfied to live with that as the only driver because there are just too many good sounding tubes for the OTL amp.... and my ears likes a change of tone every now and then. I suspect most of us do. :)

I have "similar" headphones, Auteur and HD58X plus a multibit R-2R DAC/Amp (Holo Cyan). Btw other than gain, what's the difference in sound between 6BX7 vs 6BL7?

Drivers on my "want to try" list:
· Sylvania 6SN7W metal base
· Tungsol 12SL7GT BGRP
· Mullard ECC35
· Siemens C3g
· EL11

Last question: tube rectifier or HEXFRED (solid state)?

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #23,223 of 39,983
6BL7 has a metallic sheen. 6bx7 is more of a matte finish. :)

Tube or hexfred is entirely up to you.

One other thing not often talked about is the optional Gold Point attenuator. I like it. You can feel the click. It’s precise and smooth.

Nov 10, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #23,224 of 39,983
Nov 10, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #23,225 of 39,983
Last question: tube rectifier or HEXFRED (solid state)?

Depends on what you want, both sound good.

Hexfred: More heater current available for driver and power tubes. Less SQ variation and control. Less money. Less noise potential.
Tube: Less heater current available for driver and power tubes. More SQ variation and control. More money. More noise potential.

Nov 10, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #23,226 of 39,983
Great way to start off a Saturday morning :yum:

DSC02065.JPG DSC02068.JPG

UDSACD2074-2.jpg UDSACD2075-2.jpg

Stevie Ray Vaughan DSD & Glenn EL3N is just plain sublime......listening with ZMF Ori and the EL3N amp in two tube mode has gobs of authority with the planar headphone....volume control between 10-11 o'clock.
Sub bass that you can feel :stuck_out_tongue:

Attachments

• DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 0
  • UDSACD2075-2.jpg
    UDSACD2075-2.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 0
  • UDSACD2074-2.jpg
    UDSACD2074-2.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 0
Nov 10, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #23,227 of 39,983
6BL7 has a metallic sheen. 6bx7 is more of a matte finish. :)

Tube or hexfred is entirely up to you.

One other thing not often talked about is the optional Gold Point attenuator. I like it. You can feel the click. It’s precise and smooth.

Depends on what you want, both sound good.

Hexfred: More heater current available for driver and power tubes. Less SQ variation and control. Less money. Less noise potential.
Tube: Less heater current available for driver and power tubes. More SQ variation and control. More money. More noise potential.

Roger that! :)

Everything noted down. Might consider the Gold Point attenuator when ordering. I'm leaning towards this OTL config:
- Lundahl transformer
- 6 output sockets
- C3g sockets
- 6/12/24 volts switch
- RCA pre-out
- HEXFRED rectifier
- Probably the stepped attenuator

I don't have planars in my stable and don't plan in the near future so no bias switch for the 5998 (or lower impandance for the 6336s).

Nov 10, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #23,228 of 39,983

Everything noted down. Might consider the Gold Point attenuator when ordering. I'm leaning towards this OTL config:
- Lundahl transformer
- 6 output sockets
- C3g sockets
- 6/12/24 volts switch
- RCA pre-out
- HEXFRED rectifier

I don't have planars in my stable and don't plan in the near future so no bias switch for the 5998 (or lower impandance for the 6336s).

That will be a killer amp.
If you do get planars, no worries you can still use 6336 tubes, and 5998 tubes

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #23,229 of 39,983

Stevie Ray Vaughan DSD & Glenn EL3N is just plain sublime......listening with ZMF Ori and the EL3N amp in two tube mode has gobs of authority with the planar headphone....volume control between 10-11 o'clock.

Joe did I win the 10 points?
You can easily plug two headphones in the EL3N amp with no degrading of the sound it has power to spare. It drove my speakers just fine

Nov 10, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #23,230 of 39,983

- Lundahl transformer
- 6 output sockets
- C3g sockets
- 6/12/24 volts switch
- RCA pre-out
- HEXFRED rectifier

With all these ELXX adapters discussion in previous post, I wonder if these can be added without high increase in cost. I think your OTL will be unique and the first of its kind...

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #23,231 of 39,983

Sounds good, UT...

Hoping for similar results as your EL11 from the EL8 pair, once I finally get them going.

My SENN 580's do not get the sharp treble from FDD20 that you describe, but the HD650's can show that (no HD800's here).

Appreciate you time.

Still running the ECC88 and six pack of 6BL7 here...w/crazy good results.

:)

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #23,232 of 39,983
You can easily plug two headphones in the EL3N amp with no degrading of the sound it has power to spare. It drove my speakers just fine

Ha. Yes you did...and extra credit for correct spelling, LOL.

So here are 11 points to you
:point_right: :point_left: :point_right: :point_left: :point_right: :point_left: :point_right: :point_left: :point_right: :point_left: :point_up: :ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #23,233 of 39,983

Beautiful amp and superb choice of tunes, Joe.
Love that you have the DSD visions of these two...bet it DOES sound super fantastic!!

:)

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:22 AM Post #23,234 of 39,983
All of Glenn's amps are beautiful and I love the chassis he uses, and as he says he can fit " Ten pounds of $hit in a five pound bag"
Ha, gotta love that!

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #23,235 of 39,983
That will be a killer amp.
If you do get planars, no worries you can still use 6336 tubes, and 5998 tubes

With all these ELXX adapters discussion in previous post, I wonder if these can be added without high increase in cost. I think your OTL will be unique and the first of its kind...

Thanks guys! All of Glenn's work is unique :)

All of Glenn's amps are beautiful and I love the chassis he uses, and as he says he can fit " Ten pounds of $hit in a five pound bag"
Ha, gotta love that!

Yeah I agree. That's some awesome sounding and looking schiit however!
If the wooden chassis was roomier inside I would've gone with that just so I can have a nice set of audio chain: Auteurs (wooden headphones) - Silvergarde S3 (with wooden splitter) - Glenn's OTL (with wooden base) :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back