2359glenn | studio
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #23,146 of 39,986
After the bidding started I realized I know him he has one of my OTLs and the first 300B amp I sold.
I asked if they were new and he said they were and I can trust him so didn't mind spending a bit.
They went for $400 a little steep more then I wanted to pay.
But I have seen that much for one.
Ah they went higher than I predicted. Great story that he has your first 300B.

I now have my full allotment of GEC 6AS7G's and one to spare. Looking forward to being able to use them all together.

I sustained a concussion a few weeks ago in the Whistler bike park (cracked a helmet!), so haven't been listening to music too much lately. With the clocks going back and shorter days (I like listening at night) and the head recovered (just about!) I hope that soon changes.

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #23,147 of 39,986
After the bidding started I realized I know him he has one of my OTLs and the first 300B amp I sold.
I asked if they were new and he said they were and I can trust him so didn't mind spending a bit.
They went for $400 a little steep more then I wanted to pay.
But I have seen that much for one.

$400 for a new pair is cheap by today’s standard.

Still much cheaper than a pair of Takasuki 300b :)

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #23,149 of 39,986
Hi mordy, contrary to your impressions, I don't find the Gec 6as7g to be energised. Well I don't find them energised like the 5998. To my ears, they are very smooth, a very good texture, a slight tilt to a warm tone but never bright. They are very good tubes and if you find a good pair, it's never microphonic and without noise.
Hi UT,
Truth is that my impression pertained to the FA amps, and I have not used it much in the GOTL. And I only have a mediocre pair of the 5998 and don't use it much either.
But I do like very much the double/triple 6AS7 (6336B Cetron).
BTW, the build quality of the GEC 6AS7 is among the best that I have seen - oozing quality.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #23,150 of 39,986
I wrote to mrsxuling about el11 to c3g adapter and this is her reply....

hi,please waiting few days i will design special circuit board for EL11 instead C3G adapter.but the adapter bottom have not key guide,i was fond China not have C3G base socket.
Thanks!

So there is hope for a key guideless adapter !

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #23,151 of 39,986

hi,please waiting few days i will design special circuit board for EL11 instead C3G adapter.but the adapter bottom have not key guide,i was fond China not have C3G base socket.
Thanks!

She will make it with the pins coming out of a circuit board.
So there is hope for this Just have to plug it in right.

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #23,152 of 39,986
If this works, I wouldn’t mind running EL11, EL3N, EL8.

Just hope it will be a smart looking adapter not one with exposed circuit board and pins coming out. :)

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #23,154 of 39,986
I'm only changing drivers and that's like changing headphones for me. :) So no, it's not tube rolling anymore.

Going from Tung Sol 12SL7GT bgrp to dual EL11s as drivers, I get a wall of sound. There's a big presence in the musical notes. High frequencies are also more subdue but not lacking. EL11s has similar traits to EL3Ns from memory of the EL3Ns but brighter, more details and clarity in the high frequencies.

ECC35 is still king as far as I'm concerned but there are others that are quite close behind and they are:-

Sylvania 6sn7w metal base
GEC B36
ECC33
Tung Sol 12SL7GT bgrp (other TS bgrp included here)
ECC31
RCA 5691

Sounds good to me, UT...

Here is a triplet to try:

image.jpeg

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #23,155 of 39,986
RIP to Roy Hargrove..

Passed last Friday...only 49 years old. Was in a hosp in NYC, said he had kidney troubles for years but a heart attack took him.

Playing his "Habana" CD via the above mentioned triplet tube compliment...

Gets no better than this, people's...

image.jpeg

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #23,156 of 39,986

Thanks!

That is a good news Matt. Thanks.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #23,157 of 39,986

Thanks!

Thanks!

Hi UT et al,
Funny, I emailed her the same question today and got the identical answer, but my query was more comprehensive:

"I have an amp (Glenn OTL) that uses either a single dual triode or two C3g tubes for drivers. Is it possible to make adapters for the C3g sockets for pentodes such as EL3 (side contact), EL11/12 (German Steel) and for other EL tubes such as EL2, EL3, EL 32, EL38?
In other words, as an example, EL11 top and loctal C3g on bottom? Or EL32 top and loctal C3g on bottom?"
There are two guys in Europe (Bulgaria and Poland) that make good adapters and at competitive prices; maybe I should ask them as well...
Perhaps they have access to C3g bases.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:31 AM Post #23,158 of 39,986
Thanks I hope they are worth it?

They are great tubes, sound is great with them across the whole spectrum.
I have not listened to mine in a long time, only used them for special listening sessions.
Glad you were able to find yourself a nice pair.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #23,159 of 39,986
This is a single EL11 to C3g adapter?
It should look OK most of her single tube adapters look good the two and 3 tube adapters look a little funky in the amp.

Yes single EL11 to c3g adapter.

Really liking EL11 with 6bx7s now. Vocals have grown in size and stature. Not sure what's drawing me to this tone so much. A case of mids is king and everything? Stage have grown in height, depth and to a lesser extent width.

Nov 7, 2018 at 4:42 AM Post #23,160 of 39,986
The EZL11 will sound a little different in the C3g socket it is biased different then the 6SN7. Actually should sound better.
Listening to Jimi Hendrix Electric Lady Land what a way to start the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back