2359glenn | studio
Aug 26, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #22,036 of 39,983
These 2 tubes are unlikely cousins. :) Some tubes you might say there are just slight subtle differences but not these 2.

6sn7w is leaner, more defined and dynamic. Bgrp is lusher and more all rounder. Both great tubes in the GOTL. However given the price of a NOS 6sn7w now, I'd rather pick up the Gec B36 new.
Thanks.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #22,037 of 39,983
All this chatter about Syl 6SN7GT vs 6SN7W made me fire up my 12SN7GT that is almost new, bought for peanuts (because it is a 12v tube).

While I agree with UT that is has a more compact soundstage and a little less treble sparkle than 6SN7W, I do think it
is an awful nice sounding tube. The additional bass it has over the 6SN7W is appreciated.

I also think this is one of those tubes that takes a while to sound it's best. Let it run for 10 minutes before listening and I'll bet you like it better than if you listen just after it's been rolled in.

Also seems to have a touch of a 'reverb' sound that is more pronounced than in 6SN7W as well.

I would say it leans more towards TS BGRP sound but less bass and less "fat tubey"...

:)

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #22,038 of 39,983
Just picked up a tube that I did not know existed - the 6S78:
s-l1600.jpg

Is this a tube specially developed for 78RPM records? Just kidding - it is a high powered long lasting 6SN7GT made by RCA for use in TV sets.
upload_2018-8-26_19-5-46.png

The main difference that I can see from the enclosed spec sheet is that the current draw i 0.8A compared to 0.6A for a regular 6SN7 tube.The amplification factor is the same - 20.
This tube is NOS and it sounds just fine in the GOTL. Need more time to evaluate the sound.
Bet you never heard about the Sheldon 6S78 lol.......Not listed by Radiomuseum.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #22,039 of 39,983
All this chatter about Syl 6SN7GT vs 6SN7W made me fire up my 12SN7GT that is almost new, bought for peanuts (because it is a 12v tube).

While I agree with UT that is has a more compact soundstage and a little less treble sparkle than 6SN7W, I do think it
is an awful nice sounding tube. The additional bass it has over the 6SN7W is appreciated.

I also think this is one of those tubes that takes a while to sound it's best. Let it run for 10 minutes before listening and I'll bet you like it better than if you listen just after it's been rolled in.

Also seems to have a touch of a 'reverb' sound that is more pronounced than in 6SN7W as well.

I would say it leans more towards TS BGRP sound but less bass and less "fat tubey"...

Agreed. The 6SN7Ws is a beautiful sounding tube. It sounds fantastic with pretty much any output tube.

Now, I popped in the Cetron 6336B power tube and I was awed with how hard it hit with the HD650s. I decided to try out the Green Label Sylvania 12SN7GT with a vertical date code. Great synergy between those two tubes. Extended treble and the Sylvanias still resolves small details. They compliment each other well and shore up eachs other's deficiencies.

Aug 26, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #22,041 of 39,983
Agreed. The 6SN7Ws is a beautiful sounding tube. It sounds fantastic with pretty much any output tube.

Now, I popped in the Cetron 6336B power tube and I was awed with how hard it hit with the HD650s. I decided to try out the Green Label Sylvania 12SN7GT with a vertical date code. Great synergy between those two tubes. Extended treble and the Sylvanias still resolves small details. They compliment each other well and shore up eachs other's deficiencies.

I don't have the 6336B's but have spent the week with a pair of Mullard 6080's in the power slots. After an hour of the 12SN7GT - I also switched in a Green Label Syl 6SN7GT and was very pleasesd. listening to Rick Wakemen's "Six wives Of Henry The Eighth"...really impressed, a great sounding tube, think I will try a Raytheon 6SN7 next...

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #22,042 of 39,983
Just picked up a tube that I did not know existed - the 6S78:
s-l1600.jpg

Is this a tube specially developed for 78RPM records? Just kidding - it is a high powered long lasting 6SN7GT made by RCA for use in TV sets.

The main difference that I can see from the enclosed spec sheet is that the current draw i 0.8A compared to 0.6A for a regular 6SN7 tube.The amplification factor is the same - 20.
This tube is NOS and it sounds just fine in the GOTL. Need more time to evaluate the sound.
Bet you never heard about the Sheldon 6S78 lol.......Not listed by Radiomuseum.

Sheldon advertising for the 6S78 is considered by many to be hyperbole. At the very least, if the tube actually had 0.8A heaters, there should have been a warning about using this tube in TV sets designed for 0.6A heaters. And most of the other claims are equally questionable, such as increasing height and width of the picture, increasing stability, and eliminating "SNOW". The 6S78 looks to my eyes like an ordinary Sylvania 6SN7GT. And in fact, there is some evidence that Sheldon was in the business of marketing "used or factory seconds" (UOFS). So while it may sound good (or at least as good as a Sylvania) I wouldn't encourage anyone to pay top dollar for it.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #22,043 of 39,983
Sheldon advertising for the 6S78 is considered by many to be hyperbole. At the very least, if the tube actually had 0.8A heaters, there should have been a warning about using this tube in TV sets designed for 0.6A heaters. And most of the other claims are equally questionable, such as increasing height and width of the picture, increasing stability, and eliminating "SNOW". The 6S78 looks to my eyes like an ordinary Sylvania 6SN7GT. And in fact, there is some evidence that Sheldon was in the business of marketing "used or factory seconds" (UOFS). So while it may sound good (or at least as good as a Sylvania) I wouldn't encourage anyone to pay top dollar for it.
Hi G,
Interesting to read about the snow job by Sheldon. But you should know me by know - I paid $3 for this tube + $3.80 shipping. (A similar looking Sylvania tube on eBay today is listed for around $20).

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #22,049 of 39,983
Back to 6x 6BX7 and an early 60's Raytheon 6SN7....the Raytheon delivers! Always liked this driver. don't hear folks talking about the Raytheons much anymore but this one hits a lot so sweet spots. Lots of bass, nice soundstage, non fatiguing treble, and detail city.

HD650's love it.

Aug 26, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #22,050 of 39,983
Not much has been posted recently regarding tube rectifiers... But there are quite a few GOTL out there designed to use 5-volt rectifers. So even though I am admittedly very far out in vacuum-tube rectifier left field, I thought this might be of interest to some...

With the plug-in HEXFRED, I haven't been all that impressed with the old embossed Lorenz C3g no matter which output tubes they were paired with. To my ears, the Lorenz are simply too subdued. One of my go-to tracks is Nora Jones, "Come Away With Me," and even with the mid-range forward Fivre 6BX7, the Lorenz are still too subdued, Something is still missing. But if I add in a touch of GEC magic (U18/20), her voice really comes alive. It is almost palpable.

With the more neutral Tung-Sol 6BX7, even adding a bit of GEC magic doesn't have the desired affect. But if I add in a touch of Telefunken magic (WE56), which seems a bit more powerful, her voice again comes alive. And I am ready to grab her hand and go! lol :)

With either of these rectifiers, the Lorenz C3g is one of my favorite drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back