2359glenn | studio
Aug 19, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #21,872 of 39,986
If I thought that the Sylvania 6sn7w metal base is the queen of 6sn7 drivers and it did indeed knock me out with it's stunning sound quality, I was speechless when I swap in the Mullard ECC33. It's been a while since I tube roll my drivers.

It's hard to articulate the sound of ECC33 but it sounds better than the 6sn7w to my ears. 3 dimensional and more forward. Clarity and details and the seductive tone.

All this while I am using 6 x GE 6bx7gt. Had the Tung Sol and Fivre 6bx7gt still but I am quite content to use the GEs.

This OTL amp is a classic in it's ability to produce such tones with these tubes.

Note:- I have 2 Brimar 13D1 and they sounded very good to me but in these other drivers' company...... :) ..... there is no comparison.

Aug 19, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #21,873 of 39,986
Amen!

I have been saying exactly this, for DECADES....

:)

I'll be saying this for the next 2 weeks. Half way mark of my vacation. The hard part of travelling is over. Now for the relaxing part of listening to my LPs.

I am very content using Yggdrasil with GOTL for headphones but with speakers, that's where I will crank up the Rega. Vinyl sounds special and I've been very selective with my LP purchase. I reckon I have the good ones but my friend who came over with his original recordings of Miles Davis .... with it's pops and crackles and that cost $800 to $1000 an album... well he thinks that's the real deal. I am not so extravagant. I'm happy with my $68 special edition of War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding. Plus the 20 odd classical albums bought from a friend in mint condition.

Aug 20, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #21,874 of 39,986
After spending a few days at this cabin, in Grand Lake, Colorado....

image.jpeg

I came home and decided it was time to try something different in the GOTL...

Went for C3gS and Mullard 6080's....

Very nice!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #21,876 of 39,986
I sold off the T1 before I got GOTL. It's probably a good pairing with the amp too but HD800 sounds just right to my ears now. If you love details and I know you do, these are probably the best 2 headphones ..... barring Focal Utopia. :) Ah I forgot the ZMF Eikon and probably the Auteur too but it's hard to match the HD800 for details and soundstage ..... and now with GOTL, it's got real bass. No kidding.

I sold off my T1 for $400 but it's a used unit. It's sold off very quickly. :)

Now I'm trying to sell my Axis Voicebox S super monitor speakers. Then I'm going to offload Auralic Aries Le and NAD M51. Good gear but I hate to see them used lightly.

Aug 20, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #21,879 of 39,986
Been avoiding this thread to avoid tube temptation while my OTL was being built :) Seem's like I am getting close now though!

Quick question for ZMF Auteur user's, from what I can gather the 6bx7's seems the way to with the OTL and the Auteurs? I am planning to stick to what Glenn sends me (3DG4 rectifier, two 6H13C output tubes and a 13D1 driver) and maybe one more set of tubes. The 2xC3G+6x6BL7's were pretty popular here when I was around earlier in the year. Is that still the case? Any other recommended combo's for the Auteurs?

Thanks!

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:13 PM Post #21,881 of 39,986
Since you wish to keep it simple, I suggest following Glenn's advice. For drivers, 13D1 and C3g, and for output tubes, six 6BX7 or 6BL7. I find the 6BL7 to be a bit warmer than the 6BX7, but since they are inexpensive, try both to see which you prefer. In terms of brand, you really can't go wrong with GE, cheap and sound great.

Enjoy! :)

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #21,882 of 39,986
But of course, I am not one who tries to keep things simple... lol :)

Given that Mordy considers the metal Ken-Rad 6N7 to be a best buy, I thought I would pick up an earlier Ken-Rad 6A6 for comparison. Yes, these are the same tubes, electrically, just different envelopes and bases. In fact, this 6A6 was manufactured in 1941 and the 6N7 in 1943. So Ken-Rad was manufacturing these, plus the 6N7G, all at about the same time, but of course, for different customers.

And a bit of trivia. You might be able to make out "13-" embossed into the side of the 6N7 base. This was Ken-Rad's code for "6N7". Given that the metal tubes all looked essentially the same, these codes could be very useful in figuring out the type number and origin of a repainted, rusty or rebranded tube.

2018-08-20 12.01.02.jpg

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #21,883 of 39,986
But of course, I am not one who tries to keep things simple... lol :)

Given that Mordy considers the metal Ken-Rad 6N7 to be a best buy, I thought I would pick up an earlier Ken-Rad 6A6 for comparison. Yes, these are the same tubes, electrically, just different envelopes and bases. In fact, this 6A6 was manufactured in 1941 and the 6N7 in 1943. So Ken-Rad was manufacturing these, plus the 6N7G, all at about the same time, but of course, for different customers.

And a bit of trivia. You might be able to make out "13-" embossed into the side of the 6N7 base. This was Ken-Rad's code for "6N7". Given that the metal tubes all looked essentially the same, these codes could be very useful in figuring out the type number and origin of a repainted, rusty or rebranded tube.

Hi Gibosi,
Interesting - just checked my tube and it says 13-M embossed on the base. M probably means Military(?).
Remember my joke about the T-50? Got me interested in the communication system in a WW2 tank. All tubes of course. In this video you can see that most tubes are metal, and the ST tube is a direct heated 807.

Anyhow, how do you like the sound now of the K-R 6N7 and it's big brother 6A6? Did you find a good match?

Aug 20, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #21,884 of 39,986
Band-aid for microphonic tubes and humming?

The GOTL is much more sensitive than my previous tube amps and you need good tubes. Some tubes that never exhibited problems in the past are microphonic in the GOTL.
Did some research. Some people claim that those little silicon rings help (a couple of bucks a piece for audio use, but should cost much less for say automotive use), while others claim that they don't work. Then there are fancy tube damper set ups that cost much more. Some swear by them and others at them....
Found a youtube video where a guy claims that a high temperature silicon repair tape helps better than rings for microphonic tubes, and besides, it is much cheaper.
s-l1600.jpg

And if it didn't work, maybe I could use it for fixing something in the house or in the car. Paid less than $2 from China for a roll.
This tape is not really sticky, but if you peel off the backing it sort of fuses and melts together with the other end of the tape. It is flexible and stretchable. To use it on a tube you measure out the circumference of the tube and cut off a piece smaller than that since you want to stretch it for a tight fit on the glass.
upload_2018-8-20_15-20-35.png

No, this is not a BGRP tube, but a 12AT7 with the tape applied.
This tube hummed audibly, and after applying the tape, the hum was reduced. Did not disappear, but only appeared at a higher volume, making the tube usable.
On other larger tubes it did not help, but there were different problems with those - not hum, but large popping noises and crackling.
So this method of using high temperature silicone rubber repair tape may have some uses. A roll should last a long time and is much cheaper than silicone rings.
Even Mrs Xuling suggested using silicone damping.

Aug 20, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #21,885 of 39,986
Even Mrs Xuling suggested using silicone damping.

You mean: Mrs Ling Xu...

"Ling" is her first name and her surname is "Xu"

"The Chinese will state their last name first, followed by the given name (may be one or two syllables). For example, Liu Jianguo, in Chinese would be Mr. Jianguo Liu using the Western style. Never call someone by only his or her last name. Unless specifically asked, do not call someone by his or her first name."

...says: VinylJazz...

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back