2359glenn | studio
Jul 10, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #21,301 of 39,986
I still favor the Sylvania 6SN7W overall. I do like my TS 12SN7GT BGRP and agree that it is a fine tube. It is darker/deeper than the Sylvania, which I like but less distinct in that sound stage presentation/separation...

Still prefer 6x 6BL7's here, having only high Z cans...

Cheers...
Looking for a TS 12SN7BGRP - a pair just went for $120. Have to look for a rebranded one for less money.
Bought a TS BGRP 6SL7GT for $29 (labeled Motorola) and a Sylvania 6SN7WGT for $18, but I don't think the Syl GT is as desirable as the 6SN7W.
It's strange, but the 1940-50's Sylvania 6SN7W/6SN7A seem to be in good supply and are popping up all the time. The prices are all over the map - from $25 to $175 and higher.
Does a TS 6F8G BGRP sound the same as the TS 6SN7 BGRP?

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:47 AM Post #21,302 of 39,986
Looking for a TS 12SN7BGRP - a pair just went for $120. Have to look for a rebranded one for less money.
Bought a TS BGRP 6SL7GT for $29 (labeled Motorola) and a Sylvania 6SN7WGT for $18, but I don't think the Syl GT is as desirable as the 6SN7W.
It's strange, but the 1940-50's Sylvania 6SN7W/6SN7A seem to be in good supply and are popping up all the time. The prices are all over the map - from $25 to $175 and higher.
Does a TS 6F8G BGRP sound the same as the TS 6SN7 BGRP?

They do to my ears mordy

Jul 11, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #21,305 of 39,986
Could someone help me find out if my tubes are good in terms of design and price match i mean i kinda went with the more expensive tube sets. Ill try to post pics when i get home or i might have them actually.

Jul 12, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #21,306 of 39,986
You know how it's often said "Adapt or die?"..."Die or adapt" or something like it." Well, 6SN7 prices were killing me! Fortunate for me - BIG thanks to Xcalibur's guidance - I already secured a pair TS-BGRP 6SN7W's. And they sounded sooo good.

Anyway, rather than contribute to runaway prices, with Glenn's support adapt I did! And happily went 12V.

Below is a fresh shot taken tonight of my sacd/dvd player - Sony 9000es, which will see a greater playback role along side my time-honored mac-mini music server to close out 2018. I'm hoping to mate the Sony with the 2359Glenn OTL driving the Senn HD650. This match should prove warm, alluring...down right inviting. Nooo...not like a "Chat-line!" Okay, maybe. Lol

But June saw Misfortune inside the listening room just days apart. Headphone cable for the HD650 shorted out on R/side. Using L/side cable for testing and both drivers are fine, need new cable. A few days later, I unplugged iPod adapter from rca input on OTL and a jack broke - half inside amp, and outside. Now amp awaiting soldering repair. This three piece ensemble should make for great listening when I can get them together.

Sony S9000es 11juillet (1024x606) - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #21,307 of 39,986
You know how it's often said "Adapt or die?"..."Die or adapt" or something like it." Well, 6SN7 prices were killing me! Fortunate for me - BIG thanks to Xcalibur's guidance - I already secured a pair TS-BGRP 6SN7W's. And they sounded sooo good.

Anyway, rather than contribute to runaway prices, with Glenn's support adapt I did! And happily went 12V.

Below is a fresh shot taken tonight of my sacd/dvd player - Sony 9000es, which will see a greater playback role along side my time-honored mac-mini music server to close out 2018. I'm hoping to mate the Sony with the 2359Glenn OTL driving the Senn HD650. This match should prove warm, alluring...down right inviting. Nooo...not like a "Chat-line!" Okay, maybe. Lol

But June saw Misfortune inside the listening room just days apart. Headphone cable for the HD650 shorted out on R/side. Using L/side cable for testing and both drivers are fine, need new cable. A few days later, I unplugged iPod adapter from rca input on OTL and a jack broke - half inside amp, and outside. Now amp awaiting soldering repair. This three piece ensemble should make for great listening when I can get them together.

That is going to sound wonderful.
When I first received my OTL amp from Glenn, it was soon after that I realized how good the Senn HD650 was.
I have owned it on three separate occasions.

Can't wait to hear your impressions once you get everything straightened around.

Jul 12, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #21,311 of 39,986
There’s a bunch of GEC B36 brown base black plates on eBay right now. These are quite rare. I just grabbed one, so have a few now of metal base, brown base (just the one) and black base.

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #21,313 of 39,986
I seem to remember that you were a fan of the early Sylvania Chrome Domes, so I am surprised to see a different driver?

I have actually waned a little on that Sylvania. I found it to pair really well with the AKG K701 that I used almost exclusively at that time. The tone balance isn't as good with my other headphones. There is something about the tone that feels....... maybe ingenuine is the word, when using the orthos. Right now there is a VT-231 Raytheon in the amp. I've never really used this tube so I thought I would start there and roll to something else if it wasn't clicking. The Raytheon sounded great while watching movies at home so I decided to leave it in for the time being.

I don't think the DT880s work all that well with the 5998 either. The 6520s suit them much better, but it gets hot in here in the summer and the amp runs a lot cooler with the 5998s.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #21,314 of 39,986
I may go looking for an affordable closed back headphone.

The HD250s are excellent w/ the Glenn. Theres a NOS pair for sale in the classifieds,a bit steep price wise,but the seller invested quite a bit in them apparently.
Very detailed highs,but non sibilant.
Warm,sweet,slightly recessed mids
Deep,deep,deep textured bass w/ pretty good slam about them.
Wide and deep staging,with very good imaging.

I think they sound the way the LCD-2s shouldve sounded.

Very light and comfortable.

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #21,315 of 39,986
Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to avoid buying anything right now but I may end up doing it anyway. The idea is to actually use what I already own. I have 3 amps and 4 headphones at home, and honestly 95% of the time if I want to listen only one of each gets used: the Glenn 45 and the Ethers. I told myself I either need to use this stuff or sell it. Selling things Glenn made for me is not an option IMO, but I got sentimental thinking about unloading my headphones and the Inspire IHA-1 so now I'm just messing around with it all to see what is worth doing.

I took a quick listen to the setup just now. As I suspected the Raytheon is a little too hot sounding in the upper range with the DT880. The 5998 are contributing to that too no doubt. I think the KenRad 1633 will get things where I want them, but the last time I tried that tube it had gotten noisy. I'll just have to put it in and see what happens.

It doesn't help that I have a noisy old air conditioner over my head either. You can hear it clear as day through the open back DT880s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back