2359glenn | studio
Jun 18, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #21,136 of 39,986
I have found the Ether to be a nice middle of the road solution that works well enough for everything. It's fast by planar standards so you don't feel like you are missing out on the strengths of the HD800 all that much, and it has most of the bass and some of the more mellow presentation of the LCDs. After upgrading the cable I found the voicing pretty close to ideal for most material. This put an end to switching between different headphones for me. Until recently I think I went almost two years without pulling the Ether cable plug from the jack of the 45. A need to track down the source of an ongoing channel imbalance issue broke the streak finally. I thought maybe that cable I like so much might have been the cause, but discovered to my dismay the actual cause might be much worse than that.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #21,137 of 39,986
I have found the Ether to be a nice middle of the road solution that works well enough for everything. It's fast by planar standards so you don't feel like you are missing out on the strengths of the HD800 all that much, and it has most of the bass and some of the more mellow presentation of the LCDs. After upgrading the cable I found the voicing pretty close to ideal for most material. This put an end to switching between different headphones for me. Until recently I think I went almost two years without pulling the Ether cable plug from the jack of the 45. A need to track down the source of an ongoing channel imbalance issue broke the streak finally. I thought maybe that cable I like so much might have been the cause, but discovered to my dismay the actual cause might be much worse than that.

I have Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow Open and love the way he voiced those headphones. I’ve been thinking of possibly selling the AFO and using the funds towards the Ether Flows. I may just wait until I receive the amp to see how well it runs the AFO but I have the notion that I may be doubling on my Auteurs with a similar sounding headphone.

Jun 18, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #21,138 of 39,986
So good im listening on a bright sunny afternoon,something I never do.

35484871_220114838785993_9057616862216454144_o.jpg

Jun 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #21,140 of 39,986
All the tubes Ive purchased havent arrived yet,so currently using

Mullard GZ32 rectifier
Tung Sol 6su7gty driver
pair of Chathams & RCAs in rear

Its extremely detailed and clear...massive soundstage,both in width and depth. The RCAs are imparting a bit of grain on the lower end,but its not a deal breaker.
When I have more funds I might add some other warm tubes to mix and match for my brighter headphones.

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #21,141 of 39,986

Mullard GZ32 rectifier
Tung Sol 6su7gty driver

Its extremely detailed and clear...massive soundstage,both in width and depth. The RCAs are imparting a bit of grain on the lower end,but its not a deal breaker.
When I have more funds I might add some other warm tubes to mix and match for my brighter headphones.
Just remember don't be like me and buy almost 1100 dollars worth of tubes (especially before you get your amp).

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #21,142 of 39,986
I have Mr.Speakers Aeon Flow Open and love the way he voiced those headphones. I’ve been thinking of possibly selling the AFO and using the funds towards the Ether Flows. I may just wait until I receive the amp to see how well it runs the AFO but I have the notion that I may be doubling on my Auteurs with a similar sounding headphone.
Afo and ethers don't sound alike.

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #21,143 of 39,986

Mullard GZ32 rectifier
Tung Sol 6su7gty driver

Might try the six 6BX7s these are good sounding tubes for cheap. At least compared to good 6AS7 types.

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #21,144 of 39,986
Might try the six 6BX7s these are good sounding tubes for cheap. At least compared to good 6AS7 types.

Yep,theyre en route,taking longer to arrive from here in the states than it took for the Mullard did all the way from the UK. :frowning2:

Jun 18, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #21,146 of 39,986
Makes no sense USPS hard at work.
It took over a month for usps to deliver my eikons from zmf in chicago.

It took my mouse feet(its a gaming thing) to arrive in the United states and to my city 2 days ! It took customs 3 weeks to release my package. Which was literally an envelope with a small plastic bag. I clearly bought a bag of cocaine from EU you assholes !! Sorry for the rant. I hate usps.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #21,147 of 39,986

Mullard ECC31 has great low end capability, and resolution, along with sweet but controlled high end.
Highly recommended for bright recordings and/or headphones.
But I use it often for anything and everything. IMO, top notch driver for GOTL.

Jun 18, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #21,148 of 39,986
Jun 18, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #21,150 of 39,986
So good im listening on a bright sunny afternoon,something I never do.

Nice pic Monster.

I have a GZ32 Mullard in my EL3N amp as a rectifier right now, but have not listened my amp much because of being sick....maybe tonight I will get some listening time.

The HD250 looks interesting, I know nothing about it....what is its sound signature like ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back