1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

2359glenn | studio

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by silent one, Mar 9, 2012.
  1. gibosi
    Again, the black base pictured above, labeled as a Marconi B36, is actually an Italian Fivre 12SN7GT. Yes, it is a very nice tube but it is not a British-made Marconi B36.

2. UntilThen
    That being the case, the Fivre 12SN7gt does sound very nice and I have 2. :)

3. leftside
    Surely those B65's won't sell for that price. Mine are also Orsam.

Most of my ECC3* tubes are on the ECC31/32/33/34/35 thread.

"You only need to use one in the GOTL. How good is that."
    Ordered :)

4. UntilThen
    What did you exactly ordered?

5. UntilThen
    Did you order this blues amp? :smile_phones:

DSC_0012.JPG

6. mordy

7. JazzVinyl
    Mordy -

There are no markings at all on the tube that came in the Raytheon 12SN7GTA box. No lettering or etchings on the glass, nothing printed on the base. Tube looks brand new and plays great and it super quiet. But don't know anything about it, just assume it _is_ a Raytheon 12SN7GTA as the box says...but....?

8. UntilThen
    Happiness !

My c3g and 6 x 6BX7 are quiet again. So quiet it's pitch black quietness. How? Well I have 4 NOS Siemens c3g and 2 NOS Telefunken c3g/s. I pull out the 4 Siemens and lay them on the table and like a magician I move them around. Then selected 2 and put it into the OTL amp. Viola it's quiet.

I've laid off c3g and 6bx7 for a while but now hearing it again, it's just an incredibly appealing tone.

9. whirlwind

I know what you mean...once you get rid of a headphone....that is when you go to reach for it and it is gone :o2smile:
    I have bought the a few times because of this...the HD650 also.

10. blackrain139
    Tempted to get a 300B from Glenn. For those of you who has an Abyss Phi and the 300B, how is the pairing?

I don’t mind giving up a bit of slam for sweeter mids

11. Oskari
    International is kind of a hint that the tube in the box probably wasn't made by Raytheon in Massachusetts.

12. gibosi
    Towards the end of the vacuum tube era, Raytheon was one of the first US companies to begin to outsource production to Japan. Once in a while you will see tubes labeled "Hit-Ray", which were a result of a joint venture between Raytheon and Hitachi. That said, Ratheon may well have outsourced production to more than one Japanese manufacturer....

BunnyNamedCraig likes this.
  13. Oskari
    There are sources that mention NEC.

14. 2359glenn
    Just bought ten 1633s for $4 each cant beat that. Figured I buy a bunch before they get found out how good they are.
    I give them away with the amps so need a bunch.

BunnyNamedCraig and whirlwind like this.
  15. JazzVinyl
    I think Whirlwind was on to something when he said 12SN7's are the 'bargain' tubes. Have bought a few recently...all for cheap, all in pristine condition, are nice and quiet and sound great.

Not quite the bargain of Glenn's 1633's but not far off.

:)