2359glenn | studio
Mar 24, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #18,993 of 39,986
I will probably end up have to send Glenn a bill...

Keep having to pick by bottom jaw up off the floor...having landed there in sonic amazement....

It's prolly gonna break soon, in one of the falls...

:)

A great tube amp + vinyl is a tough combo to beat. Glad you are enjoying your new GOTL!

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #18,994 of 39,986
You know you can use four 6AS7, 6080 or 5998s in the amp you have 13 amps of filament current to play with.
Don't try 6 though to much current

Yes thanks.

I am aware of the many tube combinations that are enabled via 13 amps of heater current. And I have tried 4x 6AS7 and 6AS7/6080... However, it seems to me that after you have heard 6x 6BL7 that the 6AS7 and 6080 family...are missing a whole lot of something. They sound good and all, but something is scooped out that is there via the 6BL7's....solidity of bass? An area of upper bass? A whole sub sonic octave below audible bass? Not sure exactly what it is, but the 6AS7/6080 just don't do it for my 'phones the same way that 6BL7 does.

I do see that the six pack of 6BL7's and drivers that have a lot of gain can almost be too much gain. Might have to consider padding down some sources to enjoy more room on the pot to adjust volume.

But, so far with every source the amp has proven that it is a big leap in clarity compared to what I was used to.

My wife listened to Steve Tyrell - his rendering of "Close To You", she grinned ear to ear and her foot tapped. When the song was done, she pointed at the GOTL and said ."that did THAT?" Meaning...that tube amp thingy made that sound sooooooooo stinkin' good? I said yes. She walked around the house for two hours joyfully singing "Close To You"....

Amp makes all drivers sound good. It's hard to decide what you like best, so many great options....

:)

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #18,995 of 39,986
JV, I don't think you're going to get much done for a few weeks. Perhaps a few months.

I too wanted to listen to vinyl so I moved Yggdrasil and Ragnarok out to the lounge with the speakers so I can move the Rega and Pioneer into the room with GOTL. Then I got stuck in the lounge listening to Ragnarok belting out tunes hard and fast and loud on my tower speakers. It's incredible that Rag did this and it's a good contrast with the much more powerful Redgum amp. I think I have to withdraw the Rag from sale. :o2smile:

Here's the lounge setup for now.
20180325_114519.jpg

Then I move into the room and started listening to the Love Over Gold album and GOTL sounds really good with Atticus. I think I will spend today listening to my LPs.
20180325_123645.jpg

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #18,996 of 39,986
Facepalm ! I put this picture up to sell my Ragnarok and got a reply. Not on the Rag but on the GOTL. Responder wants to know what that tube amp is and if it is good with the HD800.

Ok. If I can't sell the Rag, I might as well help to promote the GOTL. ... which happens to be the best sounding tube amp I've heard with HD800.... and my Eikon, Atticus and LCD-2f.

Perfect.JPG

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #18,998 of 39,986
UT - the GOTL and vinyl...is out of this world. I just listened to Led Zeppelin III - loud, the way it is supposed to be heard. This amp pulls out details in music I know like the back of my hand. It is stunning. I become emotional listening to an album I have heard thousands of times before.

GOTL has enormous authority. It brings it on, never clogs or sputters. How is it possible that I have near heard this music this way, with this much drive and emotion. That musical effort is laid at your feet. You cannot deny thier charms, you must get aboard and go. Go along the journey and be one with the musicians.

New Age, Rock, Blues, Jazz, World, it is all being laid open, bare chested, you can smell the sweat, feel that bass moving your chair, you feel the soul, the living breathing heartbeat....

The instruments sound natural, exactly the way they sound when played live in the room you are in. Uncanny realism...

I am so pleased to own this magical tube amp!!!!

Thank you, Glenn!!! You are a national treasure!!

Have fun with the vinyl, UT...!!!

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #19,001 of 39,986
UT - the GOTL and vinyl...is out of this world. I just listened to Led Zeppelin III - loud, the way it is supposed to be heard. This amp pulls out details in music I know like the back of my hand. It is stunning. I become emotional listening to an album I have heard thousands of times before.

GOTL has enormous authority. It brings it on, never clogs or sputters. How is it possible that I have near heard this music this way, with this much drive and emotion. That musical effort is laid at your feet. You cannot deny thier charms, you must get aboard and go. Go along the journey and be one with the musicians.

New Age, Rock, Blues, Jazz, World, it is all being laid open, bare chested, you can smell the sweat, feel that bass moving your chair, you feel the soul, the living breathing heartbeat....

The instruments sound natural, exactly the way they sound when played live in the room you are in. Uncanny realism...

I am so pleased to own this magical tube amp!!!!

Thank you, Glenn!!! You are a national treasure!!

Have fun with the vinyl, UT...!!!

Hello JV.... Yggdrasil is no slouch either but In my unbiased opinion, Rega RP8 with Apetha cartridge is much better. Coupled with GOTL and your choice of headphone and it's high fidelity.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one to go nuts when I received the GOTL. The tone is special irrespective of tubes used. It's vivid, vibrant and alive. It's flowing with details and layers upon layers of musical notes. Add a good source and you're in for a magic carpet ride.

Yup I have that Who album and several new copies of Led Zeppelin, Metallica, War On Drugs and a lot of unplayed classical LPs ....... :)

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:19 PM Post #19,002 of 39,986
Unofficial poll for the thread: what are your favorite power tubes for vocals and why?

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #19,003 of 39,986
Don't put the GOTL in the same pic as something else you are trying to sell. You'll never sell the Rag! Seriously, the Rag will sell. Keep lowering the price a little each week. My view is it's always better to sell a little under market price than have it sitting there doing nothing.

Been listening to a Lampizator Euforia DSD DAC that I picked up last week for $1k. Rolled in a Mullard 6X5 rectifier and Telefunken 12AU7's. I'm really impressed! Much better than other DACs I've heard up to $2k. Even gives my Golden Atlantic a run for its money. I use Roon to output a DSD 128 signal.

Mar 24, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #19,005 of 39,986
Unofficial poll for the thread: what are your favorite power tubes for vocals and why?

I don't have single favourite power tube. It's always in combination with a certain driver. There are just too many favourite power tubes for me to pick just one.

Listening with Tung Sol 6F8G and Cetron 6336b now. Not on vocals but ambience music. Tangerine Dream - Edgar Allan Poe's The Island of the Fay. Superb new vinyl. No pops and crackles at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back