2359glenn | studio
Feb 25, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #18,618 of 39,986
Thanks to @UntilThen, @Hansotek and others who recommended ECC31. Beautiful tube!
After some reasonable burn time has settled down to become competition for the C3g. Didn't expect that.
Slightly different tonal balance than the C3g, but equally natural, dynamic, clean and resolved.
Competitive soundstage, may even surpass the C3g in the low end ambient cues.
Still early, 30 hours, but right now with the Cetron 6336Bs, outstanding.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #18,619 of 39,986
Thanks to @UntilThen, @Hansotek and others who recommended ECC31. Beautiful tube!
After some reasonable burn time has settled down to become competition for the C3g. Didn't expect that.
Slightly different tonal balance than the C3g, but equally natural, dynamic, clean and resolved.

Hello mros...

In amps I have heard the ECC31 in...I found it quite different than the C3g, but very enjoyable. Bigger, heavier bass and relaxed, but spacious mids. A fun tube indeed,

Enjoy!!

Feb 25, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #18,620 of 39,986

Very nice! Yeah, I love the warm and dynamic sound of those. They’re a little more forgiving than the C3G if you have a brighter rectifier or power tubes... gives you a lot of rolling flexibility if you have both, IMO.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #18,621 of 39,986
Hi Gibosi,

Many thanks for your detailed information on these tubes.
I am keeping my eyes out for TS 12SN7 BRP. Which other rebrands such as Cossor and Arcturus may be available?
Since you have tried so many different tubes, which are your favorite tube combinations? Maybe divide it up in two categories: Very rare and hard to find, and more common ones......

I think I should emphasize that I am much more of a tube collector than an audiophile. For me, the real thrill is discovering and trying new tubes. So while it may well be true that I have rolled more tubes in the GOTL than anyone else, I tend to operate too far out on the fringe to be able to make any general recommendations. For example, my current configuration includes 4-volt rectifiers and 2.5-volt triodes, but unless someone really enjoys tube rolling, I would not encourage them to go down this road....

That said, I would guess that your favorite combinations in the Elise will be among your favorite combinations in the GOTL. If I am correct in thinking that your GOTL will use 5-volt rectifiers, that will be the biggest change. But Dubstep Girl has put together a wonderful review to get you started:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dub...mparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread.694525/

Now it is also true that I have been known to offer some suggestions. But often, being a tube roller, my suggestions are motivated more out of my own vicarious curiosity than anything else. For example, given that the Philips EL3N was manufactured by WIRAG in Vienna, Austria, I recently suggested to Whirlwind that he might want to try a WIRAG AZ12 rectifier. However, as usual, he very politely ignored my suggestion by telling me that he will look into it. lol :)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #18,622 of 39,986

Glad you like ECC31. You should try ECC33 later. :)

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #18,625 of 39,986
I tried the new Audio Technica ADX5000 on my OTL amp. First thought is that it sounds similar to HD800 where resolution and details are concerned.

I prefer HD800 though.

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #18,626 of 39,986
I still get the odd question on what tubes to get for the OTL amp. If you're asking me, be prepared to open up your wallet because most of these tubes are expensive. :ksc75smile:

But hey if you're getting the GOTL, it deserves the best tubes.

Drivers.
L to R - C3g, Sylvania 6sn7w metal base, Tung Sol 6F8G, ECC31, GEC B36, Marconi B36, Ken Rad 1633.
In addition, I'll also include FDD20, ECC33. Possibly ECC35 and ECC32 but I haven't heard these yet and have no intention of spending more on tubes.
20180110_201100.jpg

Powers.
L to R - Tung Sol 5998, GEC 6as7g, Los Gatos 6BX7gt, Bendix 6080wb slotted graphite plates, GEC 6080, Cetron 6336B graphite plates.
20180226_184011.jpg

If you're cost conscious, look no further than C3g and 6 x 6BX7gt or 6BL7gt. This combination is the most gripping, tantalising of the lot. Dynamic, vibrant, powerful and explosive. Get a few of these different tubes though because GOTL is like a chameleon. You'll be intrigued with the many different, subtle tones you can get out of it. Enjoy !

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #18,628 of 39,986
I still get the odd question on what tubes to get for the OTL amp. If you're asking me, be prepared to open up your wallet because most of these tubes are expensive. :ksc75smile:

But hey if you're getting the GOTL, it deserves the best tubes.

Drivers.
L to R - C3g, Sylvania 6sn7w metal base, Tung Sol 6F8G, ECC31, GEC B36, Marconi B36, Ken Rad 1633.
In addition, I'll also include FDD20, ECC33. Possibly ECC35 and ECC32 but I haven't heard these yet and have no intention of spending more on tubes.

Powers.
L to R - Tung Sol 5998, GEC 6as7g, Los Gatos 6BX7gt, Bendix 6080wb slotted graphite plates, GEC 6080, Cetron 6336B graphite plates.

If you're cost conscious, look no further than C3g and 6 x 6BX7gt or 6BL7gt. This combination is the most gripping, tantalising of the lot. Dynamic, vibrant, powerful and explosive. Get a few of these different tubes though because GOTL is like a chameleon. You'll be intrigued with the many different, subtle tones you can get out of it. Enjoy !

You can get good sound with a 1633 $4 and two 6H13 at $6 each.

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #18,629 of 39,986
Matt, would you say that drivers have more influence on SQ than powers?

I would say both drivers and power tubes play an equally important role. You find a combination to your liking and it can make a big difference.

I use to think that power tubes makes a bigger difference. That's because I got all the good power tubes first. Then I started getting the better drivers. Now I'm more inclined to say that drivers makes a bigger difference. Especially with the drivers I now have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back