2359glenn | studio
Feb 17, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #18,526 of 39,986
Must resist selling current gear to grab a Glenn amp for the Auteur. :yum:

Resistance is futile ! :beyersmile:

You have a matching Gumby and Mjolnir 2 combo. I have the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok combo and I thought I will live happily thereafter but alas not so. Now that Glenn's OTL is here, Ragnarok is in another room... on the floor. It hasn't been powered on for a month !

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #18,527 of 39,986
Must resist selling current gear to grab a Glenn amp for the Auteur. :yum:

Welcome Phantaminum,
Highly recommended, Glenn OTL, will take a few months but well worth the wait.
Actually good to have a little time to consider the options available.
And gives you some time to acquire some of the tubes you want to try.

Did I say Highly Recommended!? :)

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:20 AM Post #18,528 of 39,986
1671047_1

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #18,530 of 39,986
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #18,532 of 39,986
Just sent Glenn my deposit for an OTL! Many thanks to everyone who has helped with their thoughts and feedback (and dealt with my noob questions!). With my ZMF Auteurs on the way I am hoping I am somewhat close to endgame :)

Yeah, you should be very happy indeed. I own two ZMF headphones and both have a wonderful synergy with Glenn's amps.
Very enjoyable.

Regarding 5998s I would let then run awhile before plugging in the phones. These tubes tend to arc over I had one blow a headphone up.
I never use 5998 anymore no matter how good they sound. Unless you have a pair that you are sure of and used them several times
I would let them worm up for 15 minuets before plugging in phones. Having one arc over is no fun for your phones or your ears.

Yeah, it can take awhile for this tube to quit pinging and it sounds best anyway after it has warmed up nicely. Most problems that I have ever had with tubes has been on start up.

I have two sets that have not made any pinging since the first few times that I used them, still I let them warm up 15 minutes before plugging in the headphones.

I also have a set that is not matched..one of these ping a little on start up, then settles in. They are not matched but sound the same to my ears as my matched sets.

It is one thing to lose a tube but another to blow a driver.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #18,533 of 39,986
Glenn's OTL amp will pair very well with LCD-2 and ZMF Auteurs. I'm using Eikon now with GOTL and c3g with 6 x 6BL7gt and the SQ is unbelievably good.

I'm glad you went ahead with ordering a Glenn's OTL amp. Now what configuration did you get?

Congrats. Great amp!
Lots of fantastic tube options available for GOTL.

Yeah, you should be very happy indeed. I own two ZMF headphones and both have a wonderful synergy with Glenn's amps.
Very enjoyable.

Thanks gents, very excited. Had a firm $1000 budget before getting into this thread, ended up over but not too much!

Configuration:

6 output tube sockets
C3g sockets
HEXFRED adapter

I don't plan on tube rolling too much. I want to eventually build to settle on the main configurations that seems to work well here and the above setup should get me there :)

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #18,534 of 39,986
Thanks gents, very excited. Had a firm $1000 budget before getting into this thread, ended up over but not too much!

Configuration:

6 output tube sockets
C3g sockets
HEXFRED adapter

I don't plan on tube rolling too much. I want to eventually build to settle on the main configurations that seems to work well here and the above setup should get me there :)

You have the right configuration if tube rolling is not something you will want to do.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #18,536 of 39,986
Feb 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #18,537 of 39,986
Yes, teak. I like the look better than black wood. Sounds really musical with Glenn 300B.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #18,538 of 39,986
Yes, teak. I like the look better than black wood. Sounds really musical with Glenn 300B.

They look great and i can only imagine how they sound.

How much noise do they leak

About like most open cans that you have tried ?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #18,539 of 39,986
Here is my Auteurs in its native environment to help you with your resistance :)
You beat me to it! I'll post with the Blackwood's soon. Looking at the ZMF spreadsheet it appears there was about a 50/50 split preference between the two. Can't be too many people with the 300B/Auteur combo. I guess our tastes are close enough :)

Feb 18, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #18,540 of 39,986
Here is my Auteurs in its native environment to help you with your resistance :)

You guys are killing me with the pics, lol.

I do have a question to owners of the EL3N tube amp. How does it handle low impedance and high impedance headphones? I’m looking for an amp to drive the Auteurs, HD650, as well as the Aeon Open Flow, and E-Mu Teaks which the latter two are low impedance cans.

My thought is if the Auteurs eclipse the Aeon Flow Open then I’ll sell them and purchase the GOTL. If not then possibly buying the GEL3N instead to be able to run low and high impedance headphones. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back