2359glenn | studio
Jan 16, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #17,911 of 39,986
Sorry Ken we just like to share . Very cold here this winter some days went down almost -40F with windchill .
Hey - speak for yourself :) Not all Canada is like that. A balmy 10 degrees C here today in Vancouver (50 degrees F for our American friends).

Most Canadians would be extremely happy with that wall between the US and Canada :wink: Would be even happier if it was sloped on our side with a chair lift.

Jan 16, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #17,912 of 39,986
Hey - speak for yourself :) Not all Canada is like that. A balmy 10 degrees C here today in Vancouver (50 degrees F for our American friends).

Most Canadians would be extremely happy with that wall between the US and Canada :wink: Would be even happier if it was sloped on our side with a chair lift.
whistler-blackcomb-ski-resort-whistler-british-columbia-canada-north-CXB1N6.jpg

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #17,916 of 39,986
You know what Glenn, I haven't seen real snow. The only thing closed I have seen is the man-made snow at Ski Dubai. :)

Oh man Arnold, if just twitching my nose would send it your way...then you should be getting it anytime now!!!!

Jan 16, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #17,917 of 39,986
Have peeps in Akron...

That is about one hour north of me, and at that point you are at what is considered the snow belt in Ohio.

Sorry Ken we just like to share . Very cold here this winter some days went down almost -40F with windchill .

Man, that is nasty....it is suppose to be 1F here in the morning, not sure how hard the wind will be whipping.

I do know that it is cold enough that nothing operates the way it should.

Car doors wont open, windows wont roll down....I just took my trash can through the yard about 25 yards out to the alley...through about a foot of drifted snow.Had to tug my butt off to get it there...once I returned to the house, my wife told me...."Trashman came yesterday" :astonished:

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:51 PM Post #17,919 of 39,986
That is about one hour north of me, and at that point you are at what is considered the snow belt in Ohio.

Man, that is nasty....it is suppose to be 1F here in the morning, not sure how hard the wind will be whipping.

I do know that it is cold enough that nothing operates the way it should.

Car doors wont open, windows wont roll down....I just took my trash can through the yard about 25 yards out to the alley...through about a foot of drifted snow.Had to tug my butt off to get it there...once I returned to the house, my wife told me...."Trashman came yesterday" :astonished:
Why the importance of having a garage in weather this cold worth every penny. There even saying that there is a car battery shortage because of the cold winter were having .Cant wait to get the december & january electric bill :triportsad:

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #17,920 of 39,986
Why the importance of having a garage in weather this cold worth every penny. There even saying that there is a car battery shortage because of the cold winter were having .Cant wait to get the december & january electric bill :triportsad:

I can't wait ether have electric heat. Heat pump that don't work in this cold with electric backup in the unit.
240 volt 90 amps that gets the meter spinning.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #17,921 of 39,986
Yes, I hear them complain about the snow, very often. Snow out here is dry / powdery, you just brush it off with a broom. They get that wet heavy/sticky sloppy stuff....
Hi JV,

I was once in the Canadian Rockies in the winter. I wanted to make a snowball but couldn't. The snow was so dry that it did not stick together, like salt. I know people in Alberta that use a leafblower to clear up the snow on the sidewalk - it's that light.
Here in New York the snow is very heavy and wet - tough to clear up. We are getting a snow storm coming - 4-8 ".

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #17,922 of 39,986
Yes Mordy...
Unusual to see a snowman here for just that reason. The snow has very little moisture in it.

I lived on the Eastern Seaboard for many years and am familiar with the heavy wet mess you get out east.

I will take the light dry fluffy stuff, any day.

:)

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #17,924 of 39,986
With ice and snow outside, this is a good time to work on tubes. :)

Finally managed to acquire a quiet pair of Majestic #27. Majestic was a brand name owned by Grigsby-Grunow located in Chicago. They were a major radio manufacturer in the 1920's and began to manufacture vacuum tubes in 1929. However, as a result of the depression, they folded in 1933. Thus one can infer that all Majestic tubes were manufactured between 1929 and 1933.

In terms of design, these are fairly primitive. A glass roll instead of mica was used to maintain the proper spacing of the cathode, grid and anode at the top. RCA began to use mica instead of glass on their #27s around 1929, but it appears that Grigsby-Grunow used glass until the company folded.

And perhaps due to the primitive design, most of the Majestic #27s I have tried are too noisy. Two good tubes out of nine, about 20%, is pretty bad. However, all together, I paid about $7 per tube, so one might say that I spent $63 to get one good pair, so I don't feel too bad....

2018-01-17 15.10.38.jpg

Jan 17, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #17,925 of 39,986
That is not bad for a pair of nice sounding tubes especially that old.
I went through many pairs of 26 tubes to find a quiet pair. I found Canadian GE and Westinghouse with modern getters
were the Quietest. Don't know who made them both the GE and Westinghouse look identical on the inside.
Now I have a globe Eveready/Raytheon box plate that is completely Quiet.
The SQ from these old triodes can't be beat by any more modern tube. TSBGRP6SN7 and B65 go and hide.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back