2359glenn | studio
Dec 15, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #17,236 of 39,983
60 mins into the Sylvania 6BL7gta (2) and Sylvania 6BL7gt (4). 2 were rebranded Westinghouse and Tung Sol but there's no mistaking they are similar tubes from the shape of the getters. More impactful, more slam and certainly more gain than their 6BX7 cousins. Tonally very similar. Stirring and surreal performance. I repeat, this is the best I've heard yet in a field of strong contenders, namely Violectric v281, Ragnarok, Simeaudio Moon 430HAD, Woo Audio WA22, WA5, Euforia, La Figaro 339. It's musically involving with HD800 and the ZMF headphones.

On Atticus, I only need 3 clicks as noted by Arnold. 6BL7 has a lot more gain but it sounds splendid still.

DSC_0001 (8).JPG

Dec 15, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #17,237 of 39,983
Holy crap. Quad Sylvania 6BL7s & Mullard ECC31 on the GOTL with Atticus sounds awesome! Probably the most transparent and open I've heard the Atticus sound. Gave it just that extra little nudge of airiness it needed. This is going to be a go-to combo for sure.

@whirlwind aren't you supposed to be getting your Atty today? I think a remember you mentioning that the other day.

Yes sir I did, and starting listening just a short while ago.

I really owe it to Zach too, he came through with a beautiful quartersawn/rift sawn
set of cocobolo Atticus.
When I read that he said he had been stashing some cocobolo wood for some time as it was getting harder to get, I wanted one!

Sound impressions later as they need some burn in to tighten up.

Here is some drop dead gorgeous eye-candy though.

DSC00284.JPG DSC00285.JPG

DSC00288.JPG DSC00292.JPG

DSC00319.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00282.JPG
    DSC00282.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC00313.JPG
    DSC00313.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #17,238 of 39,983
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #17,242 of 39,983
Yes sir I did, and starting listening just a short while ago.

I really owe it to Zach too, he came through with a beautiful quartersawn set of cocobolo Atticus.
When I read that he said he had been stashing some cocobolo wood for some time as it was getting harder to get, I wanted one!

Sound impressions later as they need some burn in to tighten up.

Here is some drop dead gorgeous eye-candy though.

Damn, those are gorgeous! Once everything settles in, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the Atticus on the GOTL vs. the GEL3N.

I remember mine started sounding good around 50 or 60 hours and settled into their final state at about 150.

Dec 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #17,243 of 39,983
Some really beautiful pictures pop up while I was having an afternoon nap. :)

Joe, that is an absolutely beautiful Atticus. Glad you got the new metal hinge. That looks like a new pad to me. Are they Eikon pads?

Ken, those are beautiful blue tubes.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #17,244 of 39,983
Is that u18/20?

I have been trying to get one of that u18 goodness

Yes, that is a U18/20. With some driver/output tube combinations, I find it a bit too bright, but in this case, with Tung-Sol 6BX7 and Arcturus 127, it sounds great.

And the U18 is actually a different tube. It came before the U18/20 which was designed to replace both the older U18 and U20. The U18 heater draws 3.75A as opposed to 2.8A for the U18/20. And it can provide up to 250ma, so it is suitable for use in the GOTL.

2017-04-17 15.38.30.jpg

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #17,245 of 39,983
Damn, those are gorgeous! Once everything settles in, I’d love to hear your thoughts on the Atticus on the GOTL vs. the GEL3N.

I remember mine started sounding good around 50 or 60 hours and settled into their final state at about 150.

I will post my thoughts after the headphone is fully burned in and after i have had a chance to listen to it with both amps.
The build quality of these headphones is impeccable, no doubt..very comfy and you just have to love Zach's house sound.
I listened to about 5 Blues albums last night...lovin the bass already and i know it will get much better.

\

Some really beautiful pictures pop up while I was having an afternoon nap. :)

Joe, that is an absolutely beautiful Atticus. Glad you got the new metal hinge. That looks like a new pad to me. Are they Eikon pads?

Ken, those are beautiful blue tubes.

Thanks Matt....these are the Ori pads.

Dec 16, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #17,246 of 39,983
I will post my thoughts after the headphone is fully burned in and after i have had a chance to listen to it with both amps.
The build quality of these headphones is impeccable, no doubt..very comfy and you just have to love Zach's house sound.
I listened to about 5 Blues albums last night...lovin the bass already and i know it will get much better.

Thanks man. We want to learn what is good and also what's the limitation of the headphone. How it compares to its close competitors. No rush.

BTW, what's the weight of your new toy?

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #17,247 of 39,983
The weight for my cherry Eikon is 490 grams and my Padauk Atticus is 550 grams. The drivers have a lifetime warranty to the original owner. I'll let Joe talk about how it sounds but I'll talk about the fit and comfort as I've Eikon, Atticus and LCD-2f. New out of the box, both Eikon and Atticus clamp are just right on the head but LCD-2f is tight and that have remain so until this day for me. I can't wear the LCD-2f for long as a result. I need to loosen the grip somehow. All 3 headphones are much heavier than HD800 but once you're use to it, you don't feel the weight. Eikon feels the most comfortable because of the pads. The best and softest headphone pads on my ears. The woods aged beautifully over time. Every single part of the headphone is replaceable.

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #17,248 of 39,983
With all the attention to C3g here recently, realized I hadn't rolled them in ages.

GEC U18/20, Tung-Sol 6BX7 and a pair of flat-black embossed Lorenz (military boxes dated 1966). And yes, it sounds great. But then, almost everything sounds great in a GOTL. :)

2017-12-16 11.37.52.jpg

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #17,249 of 39,983
Spend a good part of yesterday listening to music with my new tube amp. It's been 5 days now since I had it. Arrived on 12th Dec so I'll remember that day. I remembered the day I got Elise too. 27th Oct 2015. Somehow I never remembered when I got Euforia.

Glenn's OTL and the new C3G and 6BX7 tubes sounds comfortable right from the start. The only shift in tone that I detect from the few days of burn in is a more textured tone. Very slight. That or my ears are adjusting to the sound. I find the high frequencies very clear and very comfortable on the ears. This is especially so with with HD800 and Eikon. Atticus and LCD-2f have their high ends loped off a bit by comparison but the details are not lacking for a very enjoyable listen.

Mid range has a beautiful presence and tone. Yggdrasil and GOTL combine very well with the headphones to produce an amazingly beautiful symphony of details, clarity, punch and impact. The eventual tone is more dynamic than romantic but retains the beautiful tube ambience. This is where the GOTL is much better than Ragnarok to my ears. Rag has a hint of tube tone but that can't compare to a real capable headphone tube amp. These tubes helps and plays a big part. It's tighter and more focused than their 6AS7 counterpart but the texture is ever present. I like this tone. Bass has presence but is not overwhelming. It's hard hitting and has impact but never over done. Headstage and bass weight is better than La Figaro 339 and those that know LF339 sound will know that those characteristics are already exemplary on the Figaro.

GOTL with C3G and 6 x 6BX7 is a beautiful package in terms of sound. It's engaging and musically involving. I've temporary stop tube rolling because the tone seems so right to my ears now. I'm just listening to song after song like a man on fire. :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #17,250 of 39,983
With all the attention to C3g here recently, realized I hadn't rolled them in ages.

GEC U18/20, Tung-Sol 6BX7 and a pair of flat-black embossed Lorenz (military boxes dated 1966). And yes, it sounds great. But then, almost everything sounds great in a GOTL. :)

I can relate to what you're hearing now and I agree that all the tubes I've rolled so far sounds great in GOTL. By the way I'm ever conscious of the blue power on button. I've never seen or use anything like it. It has a soft touch that works so smoothly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back