2359glenn | studio
Aug 18, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #15,604 of 39,986
I consider both that owner and myself to be pretty lucky people that we have the amps we have. :)

No Doubt (i.e. not the rock band), but I'm in agreement with your sentiments as I have an (EL3N) amp build in the pipeline as well! I love the 45 tube type house sound which is why I've chosen to have Glenn build me his EL3N version. BTW, The pizza/ pictures look amazing (re: previous posters) ... seriously: extremely amazing!!

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #15,605 of 39,986
2017-08-18 23.52.44.jpg

From a purely visual viewpoint, while the Raytheon 5CU4 doesn't have a sexy ST bottle, it does have a very nice glow, brighter than most.

For now, I am listening to an album I haven't heard before, Carol Welsman, "For You", so can't really say how it compares to other rectifiers.

Over the weekend, I hope to compare it to the 596, which to my ears, is the best American rectifier I own. But at least for this album, I am not hearing anything out of sorts. It seems to be a nice rectifier.

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #15,606 of 39,986
Love the glow on that 5CU4, that is a sexy tube.

Glenn sent a Hexfred and it arrived last night...I will pop it in this morning and have a listen.

Really digging the sound from the Loewe Radio AZ12, it is wonderful.

Aug 19, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #15,607 of 39,986
Love the glow on that 5CU4, that is a sexy tube.

Glenn sent a Hexfred and it arrived last night...I will pop it in this morning and have a listen.

Really digging the sound from the Loewe Radio AZ12, it is wonderful.

Where are you using the Hexfred, OTL or EL3N?

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #15,610 of 39,986
Show us your project please :)

A very crude external DC heater power supply consisting of a surplus laptop DC power supply and an inexpensive adjustable step-down buck module converter.

This particular laptop supply is rated at 19 volts, 4.7 amps, which is considerably more than necessary for this project. A common wall wart rated at about 12 volts and 1 amp would be perfectly fine as two 76 or 37 draw a total of 0.6 amps. I cut off the jack, stripped the wires and connected them to the input of the buck converter. There is a set screw to adjust the voltage down to the desired level, in this case, 6.3 volts. (With my old Little Dot, I used to use this type of power supply to heat 8.4 and 12.6 volt tubes.) In the adapter, pins 7 and 8 are disconnected in the base and wires are run from the heater connections to the output of the buck converter. Pretty simple.

Based on my experience so far, this is not a cure-all. A noisy pair of Sylvania mesh plates has less ground hum, but is still unacceptably noisy. On the other hand, the noisy pair of National Union mesh plates pictured a few pages back is now quiet. And I also have a noisy pair of Ken-Rad to try later, but for now, I am enjoying the National Unions. :)

2017-08-21 14.41.03.jpg

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #15,611 of 39,986
EML 300B XLS - anyone used these beasts in a Glenn amp?

Been wanting to try them, but they are a touch off the standard 300B spec. Heater draw of 1.5A rather than 1.2/1.3 ... etc.

(I would have done a thread search, but that tool seems to be missing after the latest forum upgrade)

EML 300B XLS data

Aug 21, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #15,612 of 39,986
A very crude external DC heater power supply consisting of a surplus laptop DC power supply and an inexpensive adjustable step-down buck module converter.

This particular laptop supply is rated at 19 volts, 4.7 amps, which is considerably more than necessary for this project. A common wall wart rated at about 12 volts and 1 amp would be perfectly fine as two 76 or 37 draw a total of 0.6 amps. I cut off the jack, stripped the wires and connected them to the input of the buck converter. There is a set screw to adjust the voltage down to the desired level, in this case, 6.3 volts. (With my old Little Dot, I used to use this type of power supply to heat 8.4 and 12.6 volt tubes.) In the adapter, pins 7 and 8 are disconnected in the base and wires are run from the heater connections to the output of the buck converter. Pretty simple.

Based on my experience so far, this is not a cure-all. A noisy pair of Sylvania mesh plates has less ground hum, but is still unacceptably noisy. On the other hand, the noisy pair of National Union mesh plates pictured a few pages back is now quiet. And I also have a noisy pair of Ken-Rad to try later, but for now, I am enjoying the National Unions. :)

Great Job!
I will post my GOTL favorite setup soon after rolling 20 rectifier

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #15,613 of 39,986

You're going to be building your own amps before long. Wish I had your drive for discovery in this hobby.

Aug 21, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #15,614 of 39,986
EML 300B XLS - anyone used these beasts in a Glenn amp?

Been wanting to try them, but they are a touch off the standard 300B spec. Heater draw of 1.5A rather than 1.2/1.3 ... etc.

(I would have done a thread search, but that tool seems to be missing after the latest forum upgrade)

EML 300B XLS data

I've been using them for a while.. They are neutral sounding tubes, with character changes depending on the current settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back