2359glenn | studio
May 29, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #15,166 of 39,998
I am so envious now Joe.

May 29, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #15,167 of 39,998
Whirlwind check these out

Very Nice! Glenn, that's why I'm on your list... @whirlwind don't hold back with your listening impressions once you receive that beautiful instrument!

May 29, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #15,168 of 39,998
If I am not mistaken, this uber GOTL was ordered by a third party and built with that person's requested upgrades. However, for reasons unknown to me, evidently that person backed out and sold it to jelt2359 before even taking delivery. So it is not as if jelt2359 had this built. He just happened to be in a position to take advantage of a very unique opportunity.

And as he has said, he does consider this a significant upgrade to his base GOTL. But as he did not request this amp with these upgrades and then wait for several months for its completion and delivery, his reaction is somewhat different than those of us who worked with Glenn to design an amp and then patiently waited... and waited... and waited.... and then "WOW!!! :)

I just so happen to be the third party of whom you spoke. Sorry to post anonymously, but I didn't want my identity to influence Jason's description. I'd asked Glenn a few times about your the OTL, but for one reason or another he didn't answer.

To be honest, I wish I'd kept the amp. Was about to take delivery of it, but certain issues came up that prevented this. Now, I can but dream...

@jelt2359 , I apologise unreservedly for the drama that surrounded this sale. In any case, you should arrange some mini-meets so that as many people as possible can hear Glenn's creations. Truly a bargain if it can hold its own against the Teton. What is your favourite tube configuration?

Best wishes and happy listening

Nathan

May 30, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #15,170 of 39,998
Believe Glenn's amps can hold its own against many other top tier amps
No question about that, they definitely can.

@whirlwind don't hold back with your listening impressions once you receive that beautiful instrument!
It will be awhile before I get my amp, but I will post impressions once I have had enough time listening.

May 30, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #15,172 of 39,998
No question about that, they definitely can.

It will be awhile before I get my amp, but I will post impressions once I have had enough time listening.

Great! Looking forward to your unbiased unsolicited euphoric mind-bending non-drug-induced experience. I'm partial to the 45 tube sound so I'm waiting with "baited breath"! GLENN, WHERE AM I ON YOUR WAIT LIST! LOL ... just kidding.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #15,173 of 39,998
Since we still can't search threads yet, I have a quick question for this amp. Do we need matched brand pairs for the power tubes? Currently, it has a pair of GE 6SA7. I have a single WE 421A and a single Tung-Sol 5998 sitting around that I could try out. Guess there would not be any harm trying, but worth asking I suppose as this type of tube configuration is new to me.

My current rectifier is a Westinghouse 5AW4 and my driver is a Baldwin 6SN7GTB. I have a GE 3DG4 that I can use later when I am ready for a low impedance tube configuration.

FYI, if memory serves the WE421A is a Tung Sol 5998 so you actually do have a pair of 5998 to try out.

Jun 1, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #15,175 of 39,998
This is Clayton's OG OTL. I think this is the first or second amp Glenn built for Head-Fi crowd.

There were also a couple sold on eBay before a group formed around Glenn on Head-Fi. As for the Head-Fi crowd Clayton's is at least the 3rd, because mine was the second and the person who owns the first hasn't participated in this thread for years. He found a 3DG4 that was branded CHIEF I was always a little jealous of. Not that it would sound any different from any other 3DG4, I just thought it was a cool brand name to have on the tube.

Jun 2, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #15,176 of 39,998
FYI, if memory serves the WE421A is a Tung Sol 5998 so you actually do have a pair of 5998 to try out.
Maybe. Maybe not :) There was a thread on here a while ago discussing the differences, but I can't find it now. There are definite construction differences between various 5998's and WE421A's though. I'd imagine you'd want a pair with the same construction?

Jun 2, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #15,177 of 39,998
Maybe. Maybe not :) There was a thread on here a while ago discussing the differences, but I can't find it now. There are definite construction differences between various 5998's and WE421A's though. I'd imagine you'd want a pair with the same construction?

They are *electrically* the same, which is what is important. If you're talking about mixing brands as was discussed in posts from a few days, which can and do have different sound characteristics, then the audible effect of one tube having slightly better quality tolerance matching than the other (which is the tangible difference between a WE 421A and a TS 5998) is going to be a lot more subtle than that and certainly not worth worrying about. The 421As were, in all likelihood, sorted from regular production 5998 stock to be the cream of the crop in terms of plate microphonics and transconductance. I don't doubt that sharp ears can tell them apart, but people who say the 421A is massively better sounding either had a bad 5998 to compare it to or are exaggerating in my opinion.

Give it a try. :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #15,178 of 39,998
I really like the 5998 power tubes in my amp....definitely one of my favorite power tubes for sure.

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #15,179 of 39,998
Jun 3, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #15,180 of 39,998
I have never heard 421A's, so I can not comment on their sound. Glenn or gibosi or Starvos may know more about the 421A

I have three different sets of 5998 tubes

Two sets are branded Tung Sol...but two different getters....one set branded Chatham....all threes sets sound the same to my ears and all three sets are wonderful in my amp

Tung Sol branded
DSC00084.JPG

Chatham branded....same construction....same getters....same sound :)
DSC00086.JPG
DSC00088.JPG

Tung Sol round bottom getter
DSC00094.JPG

I have the Chatham 5998's in my amp right now, 5998 switch in the on position, along with the C3g's
Definitely one of my favorite combos....listening to some Robert Cray at the moment, with HD800, this combo is sublime.

DSC00096.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back