2359glenn | studio
Apr 24, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #15,031 of 39,986
  Ken have you had any trouble with these adapters.

I like the idea of two rectifier sockets, but not sure this could be done or if there would be room for it...but it is a great idea.

I would like it better than having to use an adapter, just not sure if Glenn could pull it off.

The AZ4 fits pretty tightly in the adapter and sometimes it can be a hassle to extract the tube. The problem is that you are holding the adapter with one hand and trying to pull the tube out with the other. I suspect that if the AZ4 socket was installed in the amp, you could hold the tube with both hands, providing a bit more leverage, which should make it a bit easier.

If you think you are going to have at most two or three AZ4s, buying an adapter for each of them, "permanently" installed, could be a solution to this problem. But of course, at about $20 each, buying a bunch of adapters could get pretty expensive...

The major problem I see with having two rectifier sockets, octal and side-contact, installed in the amp is the fact that 4-volt rectifiers can be found with at least four different bases. So with this arrangement, if you want to roll rectifiers with a European 4 pin base, a German octal base or a British Mazda octal base, you will still need adapters. Or perhaps five rectifier sockets? lol :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #15,032 of 39,986

Ken have you had any trouble with these adapters.

I like the idea of two rectifier sockets, but not sure this could be done or if there would be room for it...but it is a great idea.

I would like it better than having to use an adapter, just not sure if Glenn could pull it off.

The AZ4 fits pretty tightly in the adapter and sometimes it can be a hassle to extract the tube. The problem is that you are holding the adapter with one hand and trying to pull the tube out with the other. I suspect that if the AZ4 socket was installed in the amp, you could hold the tube with both hands, providing a bit more leverage, which should make it a bit easier.

If you think you are going to have at most two or three AZ4s, buying an adapter for each of them, "permanently" installed, could be a solution to this problem. But of course, at about $20 each, buying a bunch of adapters could get pretty expensive...

The major problem I see with having two rectifier sockets, octal and side-contact, installed in the amp is the fact that 4-volt rectifiers can be found with at least four different bases. So with this arrangement, if you want to roll rectifiers with a European 4 pin base, a German octal base or a British Mazda octal base, you will still need adapters. Or perhaps five rectifier sockets? lol :)

I think the adapters for any tube that does not take the wonky side contact adapters would be find....I just find the side contact adapters to be a pain.

Apr 26, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #15,033 of 39,986
Testing the new site... posting pics is different, but still doable.....

2017-04-25 12.55.34.jpg

Apr 27, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #15,037 of 39,986
Just a couple of pics for now. I'll post more pics and my thoughts after more listening and after the site has "recovered" a little. As of now I'm a very happy member of the "Glenn Club" :)

FullSizeRender[1]_1.jpg

This thing is big! Picture taken next to an Allnic HPA3000 and a McIntosh 7270 in the background:

IMG_0649.JPG

Apr 27, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #15,039 of 39,986
Well, at least I can post now, lol.

So far I am not liking the new format either, I suppose it will get better with time.

Nice pics leftside.

I just bought a 596 Ken, from a member here on the forums.
Glenn is making me an adapter and is also going to send me a couple of other rectifiers, so i will be set once my amp is completed.

At some point I will grab a mesh plate rectifier.

Jason & Glenn both told me the 3DG4 is great!

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #15,040 of 39,986
The 596 is one of my favorite 5-volt rectifiers. I am using an inexpensive Chinese-made adapter. The wire connections don't fit all that well, but well enough. :)

And speaking about rectifiers, I got a really neat one in today's mail. :)

This is a Philips 1815. It can provide at most 180ma, perfectly adequate for the GEL3N or the GOTL with four 6BX7. But it is not powerful enough for two 6AS7.

It is a 4-volt rectifier with a B-4 base, so an adapter is absolutely necessary.

This is a pretty big tube, about 6 inches, or 15cm, tall. The 1815 was first introduced and manufactured in 1933 at Philips' Eindhoven plant in Holland. I assume that this is an earlier one from the 1930's, as I also have a later one manufactured in the 1940's (before 1948).

(I took a picture of both tubes, side by side, but this new site wouldn't let me post it. The error message said "The uploaded file is too large for the server to process.) :frowning2:

2017-04-27 09.54.50.jpg

This later 1815 is a bit shorter, only about 5 inches, or 12.5cm tall.

2016-09-10 12.31.10.jpg

If you like the Philips' Holland sound, these are very nice rectifiers.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #15,044 of 39,986
Are you sure how to adjust the bias? It looks so a TAK about 80 ma
Should it be lower or higher for the Taks? With the bias at 0 I couldn't hear anything, so adjusted it higher without taking it to "the max".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back