-------------------------
Apr 22, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #16 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
Thx. Believe it or not, but English is my second language
cool.gif
I usually speak Cantonese (Chinese) to my parents.

I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said.

Quote:

Precisely why I think the O2 might be more my sound signature than the HE60 even though it's cheaper by a hairs width.

I just hope I don't like the HE60 more. :/

Quote:

Congrats though! I think you made a good choice. Speakers are useless without music playing through them. There's quite a lot of music I would like to buy too, but I'm really strapped for cash LOL did you buy vinyl or CDs?

Vinyl. Some nice heavy pressings. double 180 gram Morph the Cat, double 180 gram Brothers In Arms, 200gram Dido Life For Rent. couple of other cheaper records.

Quote:

Yeah... The UK meets are always in London (the two that I know of). There was one in Bristol not too long ago. They're all too far away from here!

Not too far at the end of the day, but too far to go during term time.

Apr 22, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #17 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said.

tongue.gif

Quote:

I just hope I don't like the HE60 more. :/

Now that would be very interesting
biggrin.gif
I think the difference between the two will come down to personal sound signature preference and not their respective technical merits.

Basically what you said: "Above the lower top end price point, its all about the flavour of the sound you want, rather than the performance index."

Quote:

Vinyl. Some nice heavy pressings. double 180 gram Morph the Cat, double 180 gram Brothers In Arms, 200gram Dido Life For Rent. couple of other cheaper records.

oh! Nice! I've never heard Brothers In Arms on vinyl! I have a very good SACD remaster of it... It's sounding very nice on the HE60
cool.gif

Quote:

Not too far at the end of the day, but too far to go during term time.

True, 4 hours on the pendelino-whatever Virgin trains isn't too bad.

I'll confirm the exact date nearer to the time. I really need to know what's happening when regarding my move. My mom's flying over to help with the choosing of furniture, etc...

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #18 of 74
If the meet as it your new place in Edinburgh, there may be more interest from further afield Brit-fiers. Edinburgh is is easy to get to by train from other cities.

Re: Furniture. IKEA ftw.
biggrin.gif

What do you use to play your SACDs?

Apr 22, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #19 of 74
Quote:

If the meet as it your new place in Edinburgh, there may be more interest from further afield Brit-fiers. Edinburgh is is easy to get to by train from other cities.

I'll have to get furniture before you guys can come
wink.gif
My ability to host a meet completely depends on how quickly I can get furniture. As things stand, the house is going to be empty when we move in. There's so much uncertainty I'm reluctant to make any promises just yet... I'll find out in the next few weeks.

Quote:

Re: Furniture. IKEA ftw.
biggrin.gif

No kidding! That was what my dad was saying! He's not going to spend loads on furniture because it's only me staying in the house!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

What do you use to play your SACDs?

Oh... they're digitalised
redface.gif
I only have a few disks in the UK (mostly classical). The rest of the "stash" is back home. I guess I'm not making full use of the extra resolution
blink.gif
Back at home, it's an Esoteric X-03SE so it's not all wasted.

Apr 25, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #20 of 74
Right... I have some news, I may need to pop back to Hong Kong for one or two weeks in June because some cousins of mine are coming over for holidays. That means I may probably only be able to make it after 25th June. I'll definitely be around until the 1st of June, then probably gone on the 2nd or 3rd. So another probability would be to have the meet before the 1st of June.

Sorry for the inconvenience...

EDIT: Stew messaged me saying end of June would probably be the best for him... He will confirm details closer to the date and so will I. I may not need to go back to Hong Kong afterall. Who knows...

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #21 of 74
from Duggeh's "What is this?" thread:

Quote:

Isn't Stanstead in London? This would mean a further hour on the plane where you'd land at Edinburgh Airport (which is pretty quick). If we do manage to attract Euro/England crowd to this UK meet, it would really help if I manage to get my flat ready... I can go and meet people at the airport and train station (Waverley). There's a shuttle bus that goes directly from the airport to Waverley station (takes 25 minutes, costs 3 pounds). From the train station to my flat is about 15-25 minutes depending on traffic by bus (1 pound). Anyway, I'll stop derailing the thread. Please see meet thread for further discussion and PM if necessary.

The airlines say that Stansted is in London, but this is a cruel joke meant to lure guileless Swiss and Danes into thinking that it's just as good as getting a flight into Heathrow or Gatwick, or that one little airport in the Docklands. They also claim that Manchester, New Hampshire is in Boston. It's not even the same state.

Seriously, how difficult is it to get from Glasgow to Edinburgh? Easyjet would get me there. Late June would be just barely possible for me, as I'm organizing a conference here in early June. (architecture, not headphones)

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #22 of 74
Glasgow to Edinburgh is a 1 hour bus journey and just under an hour by train. It's very easy to get in between the two cities. Like I said, I may not have to go back to Hong Kong so the meet could very well take place sooner. I can only hold a meet at mine if I can get all the furniture sorted out beforehand, otherwise, we'll be in St. Andrews (where Duggeh is). Edinburgh is more convenient if you're coming from Glasgow since Glasgow to St. Andrews (Leuchars) is a 2:30 hour journey by train.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #23 of 74
Itll have to be in Edinburgh if its to be late June or early July because my lease ends and isnt restored until mid August. In not certain of the exact dates.

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #24 of 74
I've also just noticed that my signature has been saying that the meet is in 2006 all this time.

Why did noone see fit to tell me that? ¬_¬

Apr 26, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #25 of 74
Quote:

I've also just noticed that my signature has been saying that the meet is in 2006 all this time.

Why did noone see fit to tell me that? ¬_¬

Hehe... FOrgot to tell you
blink.gif

I'll try and hurry things along. My mom is coming over late May to help with the furniture.

BTW, if everything works out, this is potentially a very good meet considering the number of people present and the variety of headphones/gear
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #28 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to stress I am merely a probable/possible at this stage, rather than a definite participant, but I do hope to make it....

Not a problem. Everything on the list is preliminary anyway
biggrin.gif
I'd love to have a listen to whatever you can bring though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm interested but I'll have to check the costs (damn student's wage). I live down near London, and I'd probably take the train.

Haha. Hope to see you! I'm also a student and living off whatever allowances I get
biggrin.gif

Will update tomorrow (Saturday) when I speak to my parents about June plans.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #30 of 74
When are your A levels?

I think the latest we can push this is around early July because I'm not around after July 6th.

News... I'm not going back to Hong Kong until July 7th, so the meet can basically be any time in between June 6th to July 7th.

Duggeh suggested that I set a date or something, so I shall:

[size=medium]Four choices:
A - Saturday, 9 June 2007
B - Saturday, 16 June 2007
C - Saturday, 23 June 2007
D - Saturday, 30 June 2007[/size]

Please indicate preferred dates.

I'll be happy to host the meet at mine (in Edinburgh) if it's going to be on the last three dates. I doubt my flat will be ready by 9 June. I reckon Saturdays would be good days for the meet because it isn't a working day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back