-------------------------
Apr 30, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #31 of 74
I can make any date without issue, but cant host on the last one. I also will be working Sundays through the summer, so I need to know which day I'll be missing if I stay over in Edinburgh.

May 10, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #34 of 74
Right I'm physically unable to make A and B because my uncle is coming to Hong Kong to visit us and I need to go back. I will be back in time for C (23 June) and D (30 June). As a result, I may or may not be able to get my flat ready depending on how picky you guys are. The flat is already 90% decorated apart from what to hang on the walls. However, it's unfurnished. I'll probably have to rush out to get some Ikea furniture and if they manage to deliver in time for D (30 June), then it's all gravy.

I would prefer D (40 June) over C (23 June) (either won't be a problem) because that gives me more time in Hong Kong, but the problem is whether or not my flat will be ready. Duggeh: How easy is it to book a conference room at your student union and how much will it cost?

May 11, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #35 of 74
I shall make inquiries about booking venue 2 or the salad bowl room at the union.

The problem with 30th June is that is the termination date for my lease this year. So I will not be able to put up the head-fiers in St. Andrews at my flat for the night after the meet. The other problem with the rented venue at the union is that you are limited by the opening hours of the union. If people travel up on the day, that means its well into the afternoon before things can be up and running and that really cuts down on the ability to have a good relaxed meet with lots of time for everyone to chat and spend some time with the gear.

I may be able to sweet talk my landlady regarding getting an extra night out of my flat, certainly it would make transportation of all my my equipment a doddle, and we could even have my speaker rig there. Or indeed, have the meet at my flat, which while smaller than the union rooms (compared to my bedroom), has far more in the way of amenities (read: kitchen, cupboard full of booze and food) than the union. Ill speak to her and to the union soon. I'd certainly love to have the hosting here. The only problem, for anyone else, is the extra travel that the journey to Fife represents.

Insofar as an Edinburgh venue is concerned, if you will have trouble hosting at your new digs, I could speak to my Edinburgh chums. I could maybe cajole one of them into putting up with a bunch of crazy hi-fi nuts for a day or so at one of their houses.

Anyway, Ill put around the general calls and see what's what. The Edinburgh solution, one way or another definately seems the best to me, if there are going to be UK or even European head-fiers making the trip for this (they of course would need to crash in some form). Extending the possible dates into July might also be an option given that some people (facelvega, stewtheking) seem to be very choked up during June.

I think it'd be well worth adding more (later) dates for consensus if it meant a better turnout.

If people who have already expressed an interest could perhaps give some more feedback on their situations RE: dates and locale and transport it would be most good. Jonathan and I are very very keen for this meet to take place, and I appreciate that right now, for most of us studenty types is the uber brain crunching blood pressure raising busy season. But for this to work we do need a lot of communication and feedback because we don't have the luxury of a close geographic proximity.

This is what has plagued the planning of any UK meets over at least the last 18 months. I'd certainly not be averse to travelling down south but noone has planned up anything, so what we have going here is hopefully the best option.

As I say, we need those interested parties to articulate their own circumstances and preferences.

May 11, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #36 of 74
The general lack of interest for a UK is strange to me. There are literally boatloads of us Head-Fiers here and no one planning anything big? I'm around half of May and all of June. Duggeh and I are a very keen, but without the support of attendees, nothing can happen. It doesn't have to be anything like the scale of even some of the larger US meets, but it would be nice for a good dozen or even half a dozen of us to meet up and have a great time.

The UK is not that big: it's at most a five-six hour train journey between the major city centers. If there is interest down South, I would gladly travel down to even London to meet up with you guys if we can find a nice venue with no time constraints as well as somewhere to stay!

If enough of you want to come up to Edinburgh (which is a gorgeous city btw, one of the nicest in Europe. I rank it just one below Geneva), I will try my very best to make my place ready and I mean it. But first of all, I need to see some passion from you guys. I know Duggeh is all in, but if there's not enough demand, why should I try so hard? I have free parking at mine and some of you can even stay over for the night! I already have a big flatscreen (some sort of Philips plasma 40 or 50-inch.. not sure which) set-up and we can chat until we drop watching some lame movie or something.
tongue.gif
My kitchen is also fully fitted with multiple gas elements (even a wok burner!), oven, microwave, etc... so if you'd prefer to cook, fine by me! The only things lacking are beds, sofas and tables. I'm willing to bend over backwards to make this work... I just need some support.

rant over
tongue.gif

May 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #37 of 74
I'd like to express my continued, yet non-commital interest, and my preffered date would be D, the 30th June. I can't make the first two for certain, and at the third one I would have just moved back to London, so getting away would be pretty tricky.

May 11, 2007 at 7:45 PM Post #38 of 74
D sounds good
wink.gif
Would sometime in July be even easier for you? Anyhow, let's keep it to within June for the time being. Constantly switching times is confusing to say the least for potential attendees.

May 11, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #40 of 74
Gosh, I really want to have a listen to your gear
biggrin.gif
30 June seems to be the most convenient time. Hope your wife will let you indulge in a couple of days of headphone fun.

May 15, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #43 of 74
Good news, the train from London stops at my town so I'll be able to go directly to Edinburgh. It's about 4 hours, but it's less hassle than taking the plane (plus I like to be green!). A return ticket would be around £50-£60, depending on times. I doubt I could go much further though, I have to watch my wallet. For that reason, I'd prefer Edinburgh over St. Andrews, but it's as you like.

I might even be able to bring a friend, if that's okay. I'm almost sure he'd be interested if we're not too tight for space.

I hope this all comes together, can't wait!

May 15, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #44 of 74
Yipee! Hope to see you Bizzel. 50-60 quid for a return?! Must be peak season
mad.gif
Transportation in the UK is way overpriced. I don't think I paid that much when I came up from London to Edinburgh last September. Do you have a rail card?

Do bring your friend! There's nothing like dragging your friends and family into this bottomless chasm.
evil_smiley.gif

Sorry you can't make it Sketch. Maybe next time
wink.gif

I think we're leaning towards a 30 June meet date...

May 15, 2007 at 9:41 AM Post #45 of 74
Heh, I'll get my parents to buy me a railcard. If I buy one, it'll be £20, which almost makes the journey the same price. With 1/3rd off, the trip would be more like £40, much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back