$23 speakers at Best Buy that measure well and sound good
Aug 2, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #152 of 473
These won't work with RCA connectors, will they? Do any speakers?

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:25 AM Post #153 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gloomfire
These won't work with RCA connectors, will they? Do any speakers?

these speakers use bananna connectors

Aug 2, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #154 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
How big is the room you're using these in, and how far are you sitting from the speakers? How much volume are you getting out of the Insignias before the amp clips? Any issues with the magnets interfering with your monitor?

Sorry for the inquisition, just seems like the Insignias are a natural match for the T-amp, but I haven't heard many details about the combo.

It's not a bad combo at all. I run a standard T-Amp with these speakers and no complaints. It won't go superloud, but for a normal listening rig at moderate levels the price/performance is hard to beat.
I was blown away when I first heard them.

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #155 of 473
Is this the Super T-Amp that everybody is using:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics...8/?cpg=froogle

It is what everybody uses with K1000 (I heard a lot about K1000+Super T-Amp)? It is VERY (!!) cheap
eek.gif

Aug 3, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #156 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldo_Lopez
Is this the Super T-Amp that everybody is using:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics...8/?cpg=froogle

It is what everybody uses with K1000 (I heard a lot about K1000+Super T-Amp)? It is VERY (!!) cheap
eek.gif

Pretty much. Mine is actually a regular T-Amp, gutted and completely rebuilt with bigger caps (among other things) and re-cased. The original T-amp has bass roll-off while mine measures flat down to 18hz.
The Super T-amp shouldn't have the bass roll-off of the regular t-amp, but then again it is several times more expensive. Keep in mind modded or stock, super or regular, these amps still only put out ~6 usable watts/ch.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #158 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
I guess speakers don't have too many moving parts (none?
biggrin.gif
)

You're joking, right? How do you think a speaker makes sound? The drivers don't just magically produce sound, they produce sound by pushing air, and they push air by... well you get the idea
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #159 of 473
Just ordered a system from Bestbuy for my son(he wanted a $350.00 boom box) with the insignia speakers 39.95 for the pair a 200w insignia reciever 87.95,a 12 inch Sony 150w subwoofer 159.95 ,a sony DVD player 68.99 &
speaker cables 15.99 all online.
I will pick up the system tommorow all for $403 tax included.
Much better system then the cheapass boom box he wanted.

Aug 4, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #160 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Just ordered a system from Bestbuy for my son(he wanted a $350.00 boom box) with the insignia speakers 39.95 for the pair a 200w insignia reciever 87.95,a 12 inch Sony 150w subwoofer 159.95 ,a sony DVD player 68.99 &
speaker cables 15.99 all online.
I will pick up the system tommorow all for $403 tax included.
Much better system then the cheapass boom box he wanted.

Let us know how the Insignia receiver sounds with this setup (in context of the price point, of course).

For fun I got our bedroom a pair of the speakers at $30 the pair, Sonus 31" stands at $35, 20ft. terminated cables for $9 -- but the old Mitsubishi receiver I'm using is the pits. I wondered how the Insignia receiver would sound... and if it's worth the $70 to improve on the crummy old receiver and still keep it a cheap-but-listenable system.

Aug 4, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #161 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
You're joking, right? How do you think a speaker makes sound? The drivers don't just magically produce sound, they produce sound by pushing air, and they push air by... well you get the idea
wink.gif

Circular permanent magnet surrounding a freely moving coil, which is attached to a cone shaped diaphragm. Alternating current flows through the coil and it starts moving. So yes, there are "moving parts". However, the mass is localised in the box therefore the coil will not have enough momentum and "way" to pose as a threat (i don't believe) if tossed around.

I'd be more afraid of say... a hard drive being tossed around than a speaker. So effectively the moving parts in a speaker is almost none.

Aug 4, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #162 of 473
I just got a pair of these after reading this thread. I just got my Dared MP5 Tube Amp and was looking for speakers to drive and I'm so glad I stumbled upon this thread for 40 bucks they are a steal! (on sale at best buy)

I cannot believe I was able to achieve this kind of sound with such cheap speakers. I was almost going to buy the 200 dollar bose speakers but I'm sure these sound WAY better. When I took them out I was so impressed by the quality and the finish on the front. It's definitely nice to share great sound with others and these speakers impress. I can hear EVERYTHING at low volume. When I start to turn up the volume though the bass starts to sound a little funny. Not distorted just more like a cheap instrument. It's not entirely bad it's just not as accurate as most would expect. It's still a fun speaker and I am more than satisfied and it only brought a smile to my face to know great sound can be had for such a low price. My wallet is happy!

The soundstage is unbelievable and I actually wasn't expecting any. To me everything sounds great. I mean it's no reference speaker but they are so fun that I feel like buying another pair and bringing it to my office and sharing it with the crew.

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #163 of 473
ooheadso provided a link to a site that offered an upgrade kit consisting of crossover components, dampening material, etc. That appeared to improve these speakers, but at a cost of $95 (if I remember correctly). The article detailed the modifications and it would be worth it to see what can be done.

I think that just stiffening the boxes and adding dampening them would improve the sound for very little money. Upgrading the caps could be considered, or other improvements. My point is that I believe these speakers can be improved without driving the cost up to $150. It's really a matter of how far you want to go with them.

Here is the link again: http://www.gr-research.com/insignia.htm

Aug 4, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #164 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by KevC
I'd be more afraid of say... a hard drive being tossed around than a speaker. So effectively the moving parts in a speaker is almost none.

I'm much more concerned about the opposite. The box my speakers came in says in bold lettering "Useless if dropped".

Hard drives are designed to withstand an impact in excess of 300G* (when the heads are in the parked position), or over 60G* when in operation. I'd be very afraid of what that kind of force would do to the cabinet, let alone the drivers of a speaker. You'd likely be left with a pile of rubble.

And a not so common, but still valid "repair" method for a hard drive is to give it a good smack. This can sometimes restore drive operation long enough for you to copy the data off the drive before it's completely toast. It's worked once for me. Though I had a dead HDD (it didn't spin up), gave it a good whack off the table, and it spun up on the next boot. I got my data, and never used the drive again.

*[size=xx-small]Seagate Barracuda 7200.9/10[/size]

Aug 6, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #165 of 473
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewpy
I'm much more concerned about the opposite. The box my speakers came in says in bold lettering "Useless if dropped".

Hard drives are designed to withstand an impact in excess of 300G* (when the heads are in the parked position), or over 60G* when in operation. I'd be very afraid of what that kind of force would do to the cabinet, let alone the drivers of a speaker. You'd likely be left with a pile of rubble.

And a not so common, but still valid "repair" method for a hard drive is to give it a good smack. This can sometimes restore drive operation long enough for you to copy the data off the drive before it's completely toast. It's worked once for me. Though I had a dead HDD (it didn't spin up), gave it a good whack off the table, and it spun up on the next boot. I got my data, and never used the drive again.

*[size=xx-small]Seagate Barracuda 7200.9/10[/size]

Okay, now I'm scared. Think several wrappings of bubble wrap around the box be okay?
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back