[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Sep 13, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #5,597 of 7,442
I think its only 100 (++) units. But still hopeful to have it as a mainstay in thier line-up
smily_headphones1.gif

Definitely 1000, I just checked on Facebook again, I think you may be referring to the 100 units sold in the first batch.

From this link
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208250692599703&set=gm.1073644886046209&type=3&permPage=1

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #5,599 of 7,442
Have been listening to balanced monk on my Liquid Carbon (initial batch) and holy crap it sounds so much better than the Carbon's single ended output it's not funny.

Sad to say the Carbon's SE output is pretty dire unfortunately. Note to anyone cobsidering to definitely not buy the LC if the intended use case is SE.

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #5,602 of 7,442

Candy monk is limited to 1000 units, and yes it is basically a recabled monk+, sells for an amazingly low $10.  You will need to wait for the next event to try to grab one.

Got it. Thanks. I hope it becomes a standard sale item. I will buy one. 

OK, it looks like they have a limited run they'll be selling in batches every month or so. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #5,603 of 7,442
put it on and adjust accordingly?

The fit does require some experimentation. The ex. pack adds a lot of variables. I find that a standard foam cover (not sure if it's thin or thick foam tbh) is thick enough to keep the earbuds in place. However, I tilted the earbuds up about 45degrees from their standard downward position and it sounds a lot better. 

They sound good enough now that I don't feel like experimenting with every single donut, attachment or cover in the ex pack. I'm fine for now. 

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #5,604 of 7,442
i am still struggling to understand how these sound so good.currently using them with an xDuoo X2 and NX1 amp. they arent much use on the commute to/ from work but sat at home they sound amazing, even my precious Havi's have been pushed aside.

incredible

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #5,606 of 7,442
So i got my mass drop red monk pluses in the mail and did a comparison to my other monk plus i got from VE directly on their site about a week ago.  They sound different, the massdrop is better sounding.  Are they tuned differently?   I have a multi out switch that lets me AB headphones very easily so im positive there is a difference.  Bass seems better and more controlled on the reds.  Maybe once they burn in they will sound worse like the ones i got direct ?  Is this normal for the monks?  Will touch back latter after i let them burn in over night.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #5,607 of 7,442
  So i got my mass drop red monk pluses in the mail and did a comparison to my other monk plus i got from VE directly on their site about a week ago.  They sound different, the massdrop is better sounding.  Are they tuned differently?   I have a multi out switch that lets me AB headphones very easily so im positive there is a difference.  Bass seems better and more controlled on the reds.  Maybe once they burn in they will sound worse like the ones i got direct ?  Is this normal for the monks?  Will touch back latter after i let them burn in over night.

I find the massdrop red ones to have a slightly brighter sound as the shell is lighter.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #5,608 of 7,442
Yeah you can see the twisted cotton in the picture and no adhesive required.

If you leave the holes open, you won't literally get any bass and it will sound cheap and muddy. So that's why I put some cotton to cover the holes to get some bass and warmth as I couldn't put the sponges back on.

That's how it looks after the cotton mod.

So you treated the Monk like a Fostex TxRP mod. Brilliant idea...:thumbsup:

The modders new go-to earbud!

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #5,609 of 7,442
I find the massdrop red ones to have a slightly brighter sound as the shell is lighter.

Faster, too...Ferrari Red! I still like all of the Monks, and enjoy switching between them; just because I can!

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #5,610 of 7,442
I'd like to get some of your thoughts on which of the accessories provides the best sound quality. 

My impressions so far:

1. the bare earbuds don't have much bass, and have a light, airy treble emphasis. Nice to listen to, but lacking in bottom end punch and dynamics.

2. the full thin foam covers balance out the sound nicely. Mids and treble are still present, but bass improves dramatically. I wouldn't mind toning down the bass a bit allowing mids and treble to shine a bit more. 

I believe brooko says that the donut foams offer the best sound quality?

What are your experiences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back