[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Sep 14, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #5,627 of 7,442
Nice match color wise. I used to have one of those clips and the side output jack always drove me crazy. One of the few times I would really prefer a ninety degree jack.

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #5,631 of 7,442
I just got my Monk Plus Red from Massdrop, holy hell, these things sound amazing.  Puts my Momentum In-Ears to shame.  Damn, I should've purchased more :frowning2:

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #5,632 of 7,442
  I just got my Monk Plus Red from Massdrop, holy hell, these things sound amazing.  Puts my Momentum In-Ears to shame.  Damn, I should've purchased more :frowning2:

If DHL is not lying mine should be there mine I get home. I'll add them to my comparison between MP Darth, TP16 and MassDrop MP red's once I burn them in over the weekend (at least the 2 pair I am keeping). 

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #5,633 of 7,442

And if you can have an assistant help conduct a blind listening test that would be awesome! Easier with buds than IEM's. Just use a blindfold. Are you up for that?

Sure but I want to let the Reds burn in as the Darths have about 150 hours on them and TP16 about 70 so to be fair going to burn in the Red for 3 days to even the playing field. 

First impressions though from Darth to TP16 is Darth more revealing and detailed, TP16 easier to drive to volume and as a result the bass seems punchier(sp?) but when volume matched pretty close. TP16 is a good bud especially for $15 and has an excellent cable, connector/splitter and reliefs. Hard to beat the MP at half the price but they do sound very similar with Rock. Have not tried other genre's thru them though back to back but can do.
Any specific requests as far as genre's go, I am 58 so EDM and Trance is not part of my musical repertoire but could source some from my adult kids if need be. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #5,634 of 7,442
I wish I can blind fold test but I can't. Momentum fit different in my ears, their more like IEMs. I did noticed more sounds coming from the monks, clarity is better as well. The bass is not like the Momentum though, although, the monks is not bad either. HTC 10 driving them right now.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #5,635 of 7,442
I tried the donut foams. The sound signature becomes very boomy bass-ish and generally muddy overall. Unpleasant, if not quite unlistenable. Based on brooko's review of the X3ii and his recommendation of donut foams, I can see what sort of sound signature he prefers which is def. darker and bassier. 

I prefer a bit of a V shaped sound signature, with a BIT of bass emphasis and a bit of treble emphasis. I find a neutral sound signature to be a little less exciting and a bit less fun to listen to. As a result, I often use an E6 amp instead of the more neutral and accurate Fiio X5 DAC, which is technically superior. 

To each his own. I would prefer a SLIGHT upward tilt in treble response right now with the thin foams. However, it's the best sound quality of the 3 configs I've tried so far: naked, donut foams, thin foams. 

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #5,637 of 7,442

Are these just Monk+ with red body? Confusing with all of these limited edition run configs. 

I believe they are different, this is what Massdrop showed as far as specs goes:

1. Venture Electronics
  2. Type: Open dynamic ear-bud
  3. Shell: Polycarbonate / hard plastic
  4. Driver: 15.4mm dynamic
  5. Frequency Range: 8 Hz – 22 Khz
  6. Impedance: 64 ohm
  7. Sensitivity: 112 dB +/- 5dB (1 mW)
  8. Plug: 1/8 in (3.5 mm) gold-plated straight jack
  9. Cable: 4 ft (1.2 m), TPE outer coat, 128 x 0.06 4n OFC copper
  10. Weight: Approx. 0.5 oz (15 g) with single full-foam covers

The older Monks were 32ohms I believe?

Sep 14, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #5,638 of 7,442
Just got the MassDrop red Monk +. This is going to be interesting. Hooked to the Pono Player they sounded pretty ragged at first. Now they are really mellowing out with 5 hours of playing. How long do people break these in to obtain max performance? Think it is good I bought 3 sets.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #5,639 of 7,442
Just got my Monk Plus yesterday and my first impression is "man is this thing $5?". The sound quality is really awesome it is almost similar to my ATH IM50 which has a mid forward sound and I really like it. The only quirk of earbud is it doesn't seal noise. With my IM50 I literally can't hear anything from outside but with monk plus when I wash my hand I can really hear the water noise clearly. Other than this thing is really awesome. I'm considering Asura 2.0 right now.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #5,640 of 7,442
  I tried the donut foams. The sound signature becomes very boomy bass-ish and generally muddy overall. Unpleasant, if not quite unlistenable. Based on brooko's review of the X3ii and his recommendation of donut foams, I can see what sort of sound signature he prefers which is def. darker and bassier. 

I prefer a bit of a V shaped sound signature, with a BIT of bass emphasis and a bit of treble emphasis. I find a neutral sound signature to be a little less exciting and a bit less fun to listen to. As a result, I often use an E6 amp instead of the more neutral and accurate Fiio X5 DAC, which is technically superior. 

To each his own. I would prefer a SLIGHT upward tilt in treble response right now with the thin foams. However, it's the best sound quality of the 3 configs I've tried so far: naked, donut foams, thin foams. 

Actually you couldn't be more wrong
wink.gif
 - re my preferences, and this is why with earbuds it is really hard to read too much into covers.  I prefer a more balanced sound - with slightly north of neutral treble.  I really dislike anything to warm or overly bassy.  But I have big ears.  I'm 6 foot, big build. Monk plus with either no foam or light foam tend to be bass light and quite peaky.  With Donuts, they seal a little better and I get more balance in overall signature.  For others with smaller ears - it is likely to be too bassy and warm.  Hope that clarifies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back