[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Sep 13, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #5,613 of 7,442

I believe brooko says that the donut foams offer the best sound quality?

What are your experiences?

That would be my preference - and not what "offers best SQ".  User preference will vary, and anatomy will also play a big part.

One thing to take into account with all graphs in the review is that they will give very different reading dependent on the degree of seal you achieve. So use them as a comparative guide for discussion – but individual fit and experience will vary.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #5,614 of 7,442
That would be my preference - and not what "offers best SQ".  User preference will vary, and anatomy will also play a big part.
brooko how about in terms of resolution since sound signature is subjective?

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #5,615 of 7,442
OK so iv spent the past 2 hours going back and forth here and the reds are just to me there is just no way they have the same driver or tuning.  I just listened to female vocals and on the reds she sounds so close and intimate and alot more forward (higher db mid range?).  Bass also seems more controlled and goes slightly deeper and possible slightly boosted over standard.  Treble seems toned down a hair which for me is a blessing.   Switch over to the standard monk pluses from VE direct and she sounds further away and at a lower db almost recessed.  Its totally mind boggling,  Lee did you pull some sort of prank on me and send me Red monks with a different driver? If so please do it every time i order them =D   But seriously iv been siting here thinking to myself im not giving away any of my reds if they all sound this good.  Ill give away all the smoke grey ones i ordered =D.  

For the record i put brand new Hiegi full foams on both pairs just to make sure =D

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #5,616 of 7,442
I'd been hearing about these things for a while but every time I checked they weren't available.  Finally in late July they were... I jumped on it and ordered 3 pairs (one with the ex-pack).  Finally got them a week or so ago after some delivery issues through customs that we were nicely notified about from VE.  My immediate impression when first putting them in was sort of a 'meh.'  They sounded like earbuds.  I then put on a couple of the different pads and found some that stayed in my ears a bit better and whoa there it was.  

These little earbuds are as advertised completely.  There's no deep bass but other than that they're simply remarkable.  Every time I've thrown them on the last week I'm blown away.  They scale up with my gear as well as anything, but sound great just plugged into my portable devices straight up too.  I ordered another round of 3 (one ex-pack) to have some more on hand to give out and have a couple at fast reach.  I forgot how convenient earbuds were compared to IEMs or over ears for random portable use especially when they sound good enough to enjoy music with.  These will be replacing my KSC-35 for random carry.  

As far as what pads I am using.  I've been going back and forth with the two "ex-pack" thicker softer foams (donuts and regular).  I like them both in their way.  The regular pads were a bit rough for me and got uncomfortable pretty fast.  The hooks didn't hold them close enough to my ear canal and the rubber surrounds seem to make them too big for me.  

Basically if anyone reading these hasn't bought a couple pairs, go do it.

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #5,617 of 7,442
brooko how about in terms of resolution since sound signature is subjective?

It's still the same Monk, same drivers.  Overall resolution should be same.  Perception of resolution may change - again depending on fit.  If you have small ears and get a really good seal with thin foams, you may prefer no foams because you have too much bass (masking effect).  Others (like me) may have larger ears and require the foams for more sub-bass, but not like the effect of foam in front of the drivers.  I tend to like more high frequency (I have a higher tolerance).  Others may find them too bright and want full foams.  We're all different.  There is no generic fit - especially for earbuds
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #5,618 of 7,442
  OK so iv spent the past 2 hours going back and forth here and the reds are just to me there is just no way they have the same driver or tuning.  I just listened to female vocals and on the reds she sounds so close and intimate and alot more forward (higher db mid range?).  Bass also seems more controlled and goes slightly deeper and possible slightly boosted over standard.  Treble seems toned down a hair which for me is a blessing.   Switch over to the standard monk pluses from VE direct and she sounds further away and at a lower db almost recessed.  Its totally mind boggling,  Lee did you pull some sort of prank on me and send me Red monks with a different driver? If so please do it every time i order them =D   But seriously iv been siting here thinking to myself im not giving away any of my reds if they all sound this good.  Ill give away all the smoke grey ones i ordered =D.  

For the record i put brand new Hiegi full foams on both pairs just to make sure =D

red monks are powered by the tears of those who missed the 1st candy wave

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #5,619 of 7,442
red monks are powered by the tears of those who missed the 1st candy wave

Dang...

Well at least there will be another Candy Edition round every month and/or couple of months at a time. I'm simply in awe of both the CE and MPER these days. My Zen 2.0 is burning in as I type, and has been fun listening to all three VE representations.

Sep 14, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #5,620 of 7,442
So you treated the Monk like a Fostex TxRP mod. Brilliant idea...:thumbsup:

The modders new go-to earbud!

Well I claim once you hear the moded Monk you won't want to listen to the stock Monk again. It's that good mate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sep 14, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #5,621 of 7,442

How do the HIeGI compare to 1) the foams that come with the Monk+ and 2) the foams in the ex-pack?

Sep 14, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #5,622 of 7,442
Hiegi has two type of foam - full and donut similar to the foam given together with the original monk. For me i felt heigi donut is better than the original monk's red donut as it fits better around the driver and does not keep running out of place, and it doesn't get "loosen" after using for sometime.

I did not try the hiegi full foam.

Sep 14, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #5,624 of 7,442
  Lost my earbuds in Wales running to a train that I was about to be late for.

Monks still worth looking at - or is there something better from VE these days? Replacing Thinksound TS01s. 

PM sent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back