[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Sep 12, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #5,583 of 7,442
Just got in my two Monk Plus Candy Edition's!

Preliminary evaluation is very positive.

My advice: if you can obtain them, obtain them. 

Cheers, and have a great week everyone. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #5,584 of 7,442
I only have about an hour or so of listening time. 

I'm still trying to optimize fit with the standard r/b foamies. It's really impressive that they can both sound so good and so different with and without the foam covers.

VE has a right to be proud. This is an outstanding set of earbuds. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5,585 of 7,442
  I only have about an hour or so of listening time. 

I'm still trying to optimize fit with the standard r/b foamies. It's really impressive that they can both sound so good and so different with and without the foam covers.

VE has a right to be proud. This is an outstanding set of earbuds. 

If you haven't already done so, make sure to try the double thin foams on each bud.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:36 AM Post #5,586 of 7,442
Just received my candy monks and a pair of regular smoke blacks, e-packet is ridiculously fast, I wish the other stuff I order from China can arrive this quick.

I experienced some problems with the monk+'s though.

1. Time seems to fly by. Just a couple songs usually ends up becoming a couple hours.

2. I haven't used my other headphones and earbuds for a long time.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #5,587 of 7,442

If you haven't already done so, make sure to try the double thin foams on each bud.

Really? I listened to M+ without any foams on briefly, and the treble was far more forward. Adding a pair of foams balances the sound out a bit, making them a little 'darker' although not dark overall. 

I also angle the cable at about 135 degrees downward and that seems to be a really good position for sound quality. Having said that, I like how the M+ sounds both with and without  foamies. 

I'm assuming double foams will make the sound signature darker still. I should read up on reviews which discuss sound quality with the various fitting options

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:31 AM Post #5,588 of 7,442
Yeah you can see the twisted cotton in the picture and no adhesive required.

If you leave the holes open, you won't literally get any bass and it will sound cheap and muddy. So that's why I put some cotton to cover the holes to get some bass and warmth as I couldn't put the sponges back on.

That's how it looks after the cotton mod.

Nice Ozkan , now you can start selling modded Monks on facebook for a premium
biggrin.gif
! Maybe you could call them 'Edimonk'
blink.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #5,589 of 7,442

Really? I listened to M+ without any foams on briefly, and the treble was far more forward. Adding a pair of foams balances the sound out a bit, making them a little 'darker' although not dark overall. 

I also angle the cable at about 135 degrees downward and that seems to be a really good position for sound quality. Having said that, I like how the M+ sounds both with and without  foamies. 

I'm assuming double foams will make the sound signature darker still. I should read up on reviews which discuss sound quality with the various fitting options

It does increase the bass extension and fullness overall (and for me, still no mid-bass bloat or muddyness), and for my preferences sounds awesome. It also allows them to fit in the ear more snugly such that you can get a bit of a seal.

Anyway, if you try it, let us know what you think.

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #5,590 of 7,442
  Just received my candy monks and a pair of regular smoke blacks, e-packet is ridiculously fast, I wish the other stuff I order from China can arrive this quick.

I experienced some problems with the monk+'s though.

1. Time seems to fly by. Just a couple songs usually ends up becoming a couple hours.

2. I haven't used my other headphones and earbuds for a long time.

Are the candy monks going to be become a regular item in their line? Is it the monk+ recabled? What does/did it sell for?

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #5,591 of 7,442

Candy had arrived!!

The sound is deeper, a little bit warmer but with extraordinary soundstage. They are a definitive improvement. It would be amazing to have these available on the store as normal stock. :):D

VE is the best value in audio as of now!

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #5,592 of 7,442
Has anyone tried using a pair of donut foams over a pair of thin full cover foams? I like it the best this way. Snug enough for the bass but not so much material in the front so the treble still shines.

Sep 13, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #5,593 of 7,442
Has anyone tried using a pair of donut foams over a pair of thin full cover foams? I like it the best this way. Snug enough for the bass but not so much material in the front so the treble still shines.

You might find Hiegi full coverage foams are pretty much as thick and don't muffle the sound as much. They do bring out the bass quite nicely too. It would be funny to spend more on foams than the buds themselves, but I have Hiegis on a lot of my earbuds.

Sep 13, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #5,594 of 7,442

You might find Hiegi full coverage foams are pretty much as thick and don't muffle the sound as much. They do bring out the bass quite nicely too. It would be funny to spend more on foams than the buds themselves, but I have Hiegis on a lot of my earbuds.

Actually I am using the Hiegis over the thin full cover foams. I tried the Hiegis by themselves but they were just not snug enough for my ears by themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back