[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Sep 9, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #5,566 of 7,442
Sorry in advance for my insane rant. I live 30 miles away from Massdrop's warehouse in Edison, New Jersey. My Monks left that warehouse to go to DHL yesterday morning. Estimated shipping is currently showing delivery Tuesday. Five days to go thirty miles! And DHL doesn't even deliver, all they are doing is giving them to USPS for delivery. The DHL website even has a separate tracking number for USPS. Am I a crazy person or do the logistics of that not make sense?

As you can tell, I'm really excited to getting these earbuds. Maybe too excited.

Definitely too excited.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #5,567 of 7,442
Just better to buy directly from AliExpress. $13 including shipping for plus and $8 for just the monks. The one thing I got from MassDrop was bad Brainwavz M5. AliExpress gets my my monks in 10 days. Just the red color i think... is the play here.

Sep 9, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #5,569 of 7,442
Dhl is absolutely the worst courier service. They used to use usps, but the problem is usps international doesn't have tracking once it leaves the US...

I've been liking my DHL experiences for the most part. They're very quick. However, the last delivery guy reeked of cannabis and his knock barely registered on my door. Must not have wanted to speak with anyone...I wonder why. 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 9, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #5,570 of 7,442
  Sorry in advance for my insane rant. I live 30 miles away from Massdrop's warehouse in Edison, New Jersey. My Monks left that warehouse to go to DHL yesterday morning. Estimated shipping is currently showing delivery Tuesday. Five days to go thirty miles! And DHL doesn't even deliver, all they are doing is giving them to USPS for delivery. The DHL website even has a separate tracking number for USPS. Am I a crazy person or do the logistics of that not make sense?

As you can tell, I'm really excited to getting these earbuds. Maybe too excited.

Definitely too excited.

MD shipping is maddening but I never ever use MD for anything I need in the very near future. It goes with the pricing. My delivery is set for the 16th another 8 days from you for the west coast. I never realized the pony express was still in service?  

Sep 9, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5,571 of 7,442
Dhl is absolutely the worst courier service. They used to use usps, but the problem is usps international doesn't have tracking once it leaves the US...

Dhl is indeed siht. I once ordered something from Malaysia. It took them like a month. And it wasnt an elephant but a small 2 kg package. And they take their fair share despite such bull.

Sep 10, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #5,572 of 7,442
Have I mentioned before that Monk with thin sponges are amazing even after listening Etymotic MK5? I think I like the Monk more:)

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #5,573 of 7,442

Back in business :D

With the mod above, the Monk gained more bass in both quality/quantity. Now it hits harder and faster without the peak in the lower treble region which sometimes sounded splashy in comparison to the stock Monk. The midrange is also clearer and a little bit thinner. Just wow!

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #5,574 of 7,442

Back in business :D

With the mod above, the Monk gained more bass in both quality/quantity. Now it hits harder and faster without the peak in the lower treble region which sometimes sounded splashy in comparison to the stock Monk. The midrange is also clearer and a little bit thinner. Just wow!

Sorry what mod was done on this? Can't see clearly.. And is this a monk plus or original?

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #5,575 of 7,442
@ozkan
It's not clear to me what you've done there.
confused.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #5,576 of 7,442
Sorry what mod was done on this? Can't see clearly.. And is this a monk plus or original?

It is the Monk. Firstly I removed the thin foam from the back plate of the driver. You can see the small holes under the magnet. There was some kind of sponge around the plate. Then I used some cotton to replace the foam and twisted into the shape of the plate and put them back on.

Sep 12, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #5,578 of 7,442
That whole piece of cotton shown in your picture? No adhesive used?

Yeah you can see the twisted cotton in the picture and no adhesive required.

If you leave the holes open, you won't literally get any bass and it will sound cheap and muddy. So that's why I put some cotton to cover the holes to get some bass and warmth as I couldn't put the sponges back on.

That's how it looks after the cotton mod.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #5,579 of 7,442
  As of a few days ago (before reading this thread) I would only consider IEM's, on ear and over ear headphones. I'm in for two pairs from the VE store. Never thought I'd ever be buying earbuds again. I used to turn up my nose to earbud users. Maybe I was wrong -  I see some benefits...

Up to my @ss in listening gear. Some more won't hurt I guess 
beyersmile.png

I ordered Monk+ epacket (and extra $1) and it just arrived. That's fast shipping - 10 days total to the Northeast US! Great job shipping, VE.

I fired them up and impressed. For listening I use listen to "Andy Stott - Violence" for benchmark and comparison to my other IEM's - 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL41EXic65g

This song  has the lowest lows an also highs. Not such a good test for the mid-range, but hit's the two most challenging areas for my taste. For example, using the above song Xiamomi Piston II's can't handle the bass or the highs. My Vsonic Gr07 handle both extremely well - and have more detail compared to the Monk + - but very very different sound. The Monks perform well!  LG V10 / Poweramp used as sound source.

So now I'm going to order some more for friends and family, and hoard some for myself!  I'm going to avoid some IEM's -comfort issues and some of the long 5mm nozzles push the wax into my ears causing problems. 

So far so good!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back