2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jun 27, 2018 at 3:13 AM Post #422 of 1,496
Seems mine (S/N 016x) has the annoying creaking issue so will be exchanging them to the latest batch. This is inexcusable for a $2k...
Did they not creak before? You’ve had it for maybe a month now?

I don’t think mine creaks, and it’s 017x.

Jun 27, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #423 of 1,496
I did noticed for the 1st week or so, the left pivot/joint started acting up (wasn't as smooth), but now its rubbing/creaking whenever I move my jaw. I'm curious what serial # are the ones that are supposedly fixed.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #424 of 1,496
I can hear a little noise if I yawn or open my mouth wide. But if I'm just talking it's silent. I don't know. Mine seems pretty alright compared to other headphones I've used.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #426 of 1,496
Cool, but I'm curious about what the noise you're hearing actually sounds like. If it's what I'm hearing then I hear similar noises on lots of headphones so I'm guessing it's more significant.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #427 of 1,496
Its not really a creaky sound, but more like a very rough rubbing/scuffing sensation that only happens whenever I'm wearing/moving it on my head and its only on the left side. It might not be as bad if you have a small head but my head/hair is big and I adjust my headband 1-2 notch from max.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #428 of 1,496
Mine is also 2 notches from max. Big head club... Wooo. I think I know what you mean, but I feel like it can't be the same as the creaking issue that was mentioned before as it seems very minor to me and something I've experienced on various full sized headphones. Not sure though! Good luck with the replacement.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #429 of 1,496
TBH, it is kinda minor but inexcusable for $2k hps IMO and I even bought a silicon lube but I figured I might as well give a replacement a try since I'll be keeping these for the foreseeable future. I remember my Utopia carbon fiber yokes creaks but its nowhere near annoying or audible when worn.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #430 of 1,496
I'm really curious about how microphonic my replacement cable will be when it arrives. The stock one is still pretty bad. It's probably just the sleeving, but maybe it has something to do with the headphone design too. It's odd how the cable is so microphonic above the split but not really bad below.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #431 of 1,496
TBH, it is kinda minor but inexcusable for $2k hps IMO and I even bought a silicon lube but I figured I might as well give a replacement a try since I'll be keeping these for the foreseeable future. I remember my Utopia carbon fiber yokes creaks but its nowhere near annoying or audible when worn.
I had the same problem (left side only like yours) and got replacement. Since then, I'm pretty happy with the ADX5000.

Jun 27, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #432 of 1,496
I'm really curious about how microphonic my replacement cable will be when it arrives. The stock one is still pretty bad. It's probably just the sleeving, but maybe it has something to do with the headphone design too. It's odd how the cable is so microphonic above the split but not really bad below.

Ya its definitely the sleeving that's resonating which is weird but I guess its a different type of fiber material than the usual paracord.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #433 of 1,496
ADX5000 cable in. Unfortunately I can’t really try it out for another 7-8 hours.

It's nice and thin and light. While I could have gotten a much thicker cable I think it would have been a big mistake for the ADX5000.

And yes. I willingly chose this color. Apologies.

EF2FEE6A-380B-47C0-9DB8-D65DC5B34E13.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #434 of 1,496
ADX5000 cable in. Unfortunately I can’t really try it out for another 7-8 hours.

It's nice and thin and light. While I could have gotten a much thicker cable I think it would have been a big mistake for the ADX5000.

And yes. I willingly chose this color. Apologies.

Nice! If it isn't too much trouble, could you post a pic of the headphones with one stock A2DC and one ZMF A2DC attached? I'm interested to see how much longer the ZMF connectors are.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #435 of 1,496
Nice! If it isn't too much trouble, could you post a pic of the headphones with one stock A2DC and one ZMF A2DC attached? I'm interested to see how much longer the ZMF connectors are.
Will do. These connectors are unfortunately not made for the ADX5000 so they will definitely be a bit longer. I tested that they fit before sending them over to ZMF but didn't take pictures then. The shrink wrap also makes them look even longer.

I hope that someday soon connectors that are perfectly sized for the ADX5000 will be readily available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back