2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jul 14, 2018 at 12:18 AM Post #451 of 1,496
This is interesting....

My comments on the ADX5000's sound quality vs the HD800S and Utopia were performed using a pair of ADX5000 I had on home demo. The pair of ADX5000 I purchased didn't arrive until around 1 week ago. My comments were based mainly on using the 5000 with the A-T stock balanced cable, as my headphone amps sound better in balanced mode, but I did try the stock single-ended cable briefly and the tonal balance was pretty similar.

I'm finding my new 5000 with the stock single-ended cable sounds more sibilant/etched in the treble than the 5000 I had on demo. I'm not sure if this is due to them needing more break-in time, or possible driver manufacturing variations, but it's a little concerning. I was therefore optimistic when I noticed your comment about the Periapt cable helping to tame some of the sibilance/etchiness.

I am very close to placing an order with Matt for a 10ft long cable sleeved in PVC instead of paracord. I just need to decide whether to buy the 'pro' version or the 'portable' version. The 'portable' version appeals to me because it is thinner / lighter / more flexible, however I don't know how its sonic signature compares to the 'pro' version that you bought. i.e. I don't know if the thinner option will have a similar effect on helping to reduce the sibilance/etching. I'd be grateful if you could please tell me how the thickness and weight of your Periapt cable compares to the A-T stock balanced cable?

EDIT - I've just noticed the photo you posted on July 3. It looks like the main section of the Periapt cable is slightly thinner than the A-T cable, but the individual cables that branch off to the earcups look slightly thicker than the A-T cable. Is this correct?

The AT cable is thicker (beyond the Y-split) and lighter, not sure if its the fabric material or a bit of both, while the Periapt cable is slightly more weighty.

Here's some pics:
CgxdFv2.jpg

Vd8RWlx.jpg

This is what Periapt use on their cable.
add2cable_large.png

More info here:
https://periaptcables.com/pages/quality

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #452 of 1,496
The AT cable is thicker (beyond the Y-split) and lighter, not sure if its the fabric material or a bit of both, while the Periapt cable is slightly more weighty.

Here's some pics:
CgxdFv2.jpg

Vd8RWlx.jpg

This is what Periapt use on their cable.
add2cable_large.png

More info here:
https://periaptcables.com/pages/quality

This is really helpful, thank you for the photos. I'll ask Matt to make my cable using the PRO version, but have the section that runs from the Y-split to the earcups longer and the section that runs from the Y-split to the amp shorter, so that when I'm wearing the headphones the thick part of the cable will lay flat on the floor and therefore won't cause its weight to tug against the earcups. So, instead of having say 16" of cable above the Y-split and 104" of cable below it, I'll have 66" of cable above and 54" below, if that makes sense. Is it a good idea to ask for the cables above the Y-split to be twisted together, until say 16" below the earcups to make it look neater, or should I just keep them separate? (I'm concerned that having two separate 66" lengths of cable running from earcup to Y-split is going to be easier to accidentally pull or step on than if the cables are twisted together).

Jul 14, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #453 of 1,496
This is really helpful, thank you for the photos. I'll ask Matt to make my cable using the PRO version, but have the section that runs from the Y-split to the earcups longer and the section that runs from the Y-split to the amp shorter, so that when I'm wearing the headphones the thick part of the cable will lay flat on the floor and therefore won't cause its weight to tug against the earcups. So, instead of having say 16" of cable above the Y-split and 104" of cable below it, I'll have 66" of cable above and 54" below, if that makes sense. Is it a good idea to ask for the cables above the Y-split to be twisted together, until say 16" below the earcups to make it look neater, or should I just keep them separate? (I'm concerned that having two separate 66" lengths of cable running from earcup to Y-split is going to be easier to accidentally pull or step on than if the cables are twisted together).

I preferably want it to be twisted, if its NOT going to be sleeved (no paracord) for better ergonomics and aesthetic, but I do like mine sleeved w/o any twisting above the Y-split just because I don't want any needed bulk going up. The AT Y-split length is better IMO, since the Periapt shorter (Y-split), is kinda too short for my liking but not a deal breaker. (Maybe I'll get it redone or make another order later with a longer Y-split)

The Moon Audio cable for example is what I would go for if I opted not to go with paracord, that seems to be what you're looking to go for.
Dragon_cables_tutorial.png

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #454 of 1,496
Anybody switched-out the pads from the stock Alcantara? In my case, I wouldn't be making a change to hopefully get a more comfortable ear pad. As far as comfort, the stock Alcantara is fine. For most people, comfort is the primary consideration for an ear pad. Not me. I'll take a slightly less comfortable ear pad if there's an improvement in the sound quality, as my listening sessions are fairly short (I only settle-down for headphone listening at home and in a quiet environment. I'm not wearing headphones for hours a day while at work, for instance).

I believe AT should have included a different set of ear pads w/this headphone in order to be able to at least slightly tweak the overall sound of the ADX5000.

Our hobby is very subjective and very individualistic. Two different people can have varying opinions about how the sound character of a headphone strikes them. I've read impressions here on this h/p that don't exactly match-up with mine, as I find a slight recession in the low treble region in the ADX5000.

I was thinking that perhaps a thicker ear pad (made out of a velour or similar "breathable" material) would allow for both a bit more extension in the treble region, and possibly add just a bit more "air" and soundstage to the overall sound presentation of these headphones.

Thanks to anybody in advance that could offer any advice based on their experience in trying a different pad than the stock Alcantara.

Neither the Audio Technica website or the owners' manual offer any instructions for how to remove the stock pads when it would come time for a replacement, and the official AT website offers no information for how an ear pad made of a different material would alter the overall sound quality of this h/p (which some owners of this h/p might find useful).

The only information offered by AT on their website concerning the pads only mentions comfort and the durability of the Alcantara material.

Considering to what degree an ear pad can make as far as contributing to the overall sound of a h/p, I think this is a glaring omission on Audio Technica's part.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #455 of 1,496
I'm interested in some of the ZMF earpads on the ADX5000, but I'm not going to be the first to try them. Don't feel like potentially wasting the money on it.

I'd rather have someone that does measurements try some things out, if anything. Until then the stock pads are more than fine. :o2smile:

Jul 22, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #456 of 1,496
A question to ADX5000 owners, how many of you received a printed frequency response graph with your headphones? I've seen them in unboxing videos, but I didn't get one with mine. Have they stopped supplying them, or perhaps only supplying them to certain geographical areas?

Jul 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #457 of 1,496
A question to ADX5000 owners, how many of you received a printed frequency response graph with your headphones? I've seen them in unboxing videos, but I didn't get one with mine. Have they stopped supplying them, or perhaps only supplying them to certain geographical areas?
I did not receive a frequency graph with mine. I purchased my ADX5000 used so I thought that the seller misplaced it, but maybe it never came with the one. The seller did not respond when I asked a while back.

Jul 23, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #459 of 1,496
Perhaps it's just me but I don't see pad swapping or cable swapping as a very effective way to obtain a change in sonic presentation, if the change being sought is tied to a particular area of the frequency response. It's possible that such swaps could change more aspects of the sound than the one particular aspect you're looking to change. i.e. there's no free lunch. If your listening is computer-based you could always try EQ'ing the sound to taste, that way you can be very targeted in the areas you are changing and have full and fine control over how much change to apply. I currently have an EQ applied to lift 250Hz-500Hz by 1.5dB and cut 8kHz by 2dB to try to "warm" or "creamify" my ADX5000s slightly as I'm finding them a little too etched for my liking.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #460 of 1,496
I'm very content with the ADX5000 with no EQ personally. I did find it a little sharp at first. Must have gotten used to it. I'm somewhat interested in pad swaps, but I think the headphones sound great as is. No need to swap unless I see hard evidence of some alternative offering something I might like even more.

As for cables, I bought a cable for aesthetics and shorter length hoping it would also be less microphonic. I don't put much stock in drastic sound changes via cable swap. Maybe there's a tiny difference. Maybe not. Not something I really want to debate, honestly. :smile_phones:

Jul 23, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #461 of 1,496
Perhaps it's just me but I don't see pad swapping or cable swapping as a very effective way to obtain a change in sonic presentation, if the change being sought is tied to a particular area of the frequency response. It's possible that such swaps could change more aspects of the sound than the one particular aspect you're looking to change. i.e. there's no free lunch. If your listening is computer-based you could always try EQ'ing the sound to taste, that way you can be very targeted in the areas you are changing and have full and fine control over how much change to apply. I currently have an EQ applied to lift 250Hz-500Hz by 1.5dB and cut 8kHz by 2dB to try to "warm" or "creamify" my ADX5000s slightly as I'm finding them a little too etched for my liking.

Good catch (as far as the difficulty of changing one part of the sound presentation, while not affecting others with a pad swap). I was aware of that (being a longtime AKG K701 owner, and looking at how AKG "re-tuned" the K-Series sound by changing from velour pads to memory foam pads with the 65th Anniversary model, for instance. I didn't mention this aspect of it, but I'm glad you did.

Thanks for clarifying that point, for anyone reading this now and in the future.

I've noticed though, that the vast majority of people who want to change pads in a h/p are either doing so out of a desire for a more comfortable pad, or to "warm" up the sound of a h/p (by going with a leather/pleather pad that will seal, which will usually give you more bass reverb, or "impact.")

This would never be a step in the right direction for me, as I think the ADX5000's bass quality (note, tone, timbre, etc.) as well as its' bass quantity (impact) is very good. And, I wouldn't want to muck too much with what AT achieved in this area.

However, I would be willing to shave just a bit of the low-end impact and trade (just a smidge of this very good bass quality) for just a bit more low treble resolution. It would be rare to read of someone looking to add a bit of air or to remove that "haze" that seems to envelope the ADX5000 and hopefully wanting to do it with a pad swap. But, I can't believe I'm the only one looking to do this. (Not that this is a "warm" headphone. But, having a lot of experience with an AKG K701, and a beyerdynamic T-90, there is definitely a thin veneer of a "film" or a "sheen" that's present with the ADX5000. Just enough to take notice of, really. But, it's there.

I believe that the AT engineers were very careful not to allow this h/p to introduce any sibilance as I'm sure they did their market research and erred on the side of (slightly) veiling or slightly recessing certain higher frequencies, as that's what most buyers of this h/p would probably want. However, I feel that in the process of doing this that a certain amount of detail retrieval may have been sacrificed.

I may be asking for the impossible here, in wanting to tweak ever-so-slightly the SQ of this h/p (without being able to use computer software and/or plug-ins). But, I can see myself either trying a pad swap, or going with say, a silver cable (as opposed to the standard OFC one).

In my opinion, Audio Technica came this close...thiiissssss clooooose with this headphone. (I'm holding my left index finger beside my thumb to where they're almost touching).

I'm willing to wait a while and just see what other users will come up with as far as making slight tweaks and minor mods to this h/p.

Appreciate the reply, ToTo Man.

This isn't intended to start a debate. Other owners of this h/p will no doubt disagree with some of my opinions on it, and that's fine.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #462 of 1,496
Personally I'd love to see more headphone makers offer multiple pad options the way ZMF does and provide an idea of what the expected sound differences would be. I love the ADX5000 as is, but i definitely would love some options. Mrspeakers has those inserts to adjust the sound a little bit as well.

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #463 of 1,496
I bought one box unopened. For the headband creaking issue, I got a replacement again box unopened. I did not get FR chart on either.

Jul 24, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #464 of 1,496
Personally I'd love to see more headphone makers offer multiple pad options the way ZMF does and provide an idea of what the expected sound differences would be. I love the ADX5000 as is, but i definitely would love some options. Mrspeakers has those inserts to adjust the sound a little bit as well.

Yeah. Exactly! And, look at what beyer has done with the 1990. Offering two sets of pads that ship with these headphones. "A" (analytical) pads, and "B" pads (for people who want a bit of a bass boost).

Don't get me wrong. I think the AT engineers did an excellent job on the whole with this headphone. (Build, looks, design, etc.) But, the convenient option of having a replacement set of pads would've made it easier for people like me (who are a fan of this headphone, overall) but to be able to make a pad swap and to give the owner another option in "seasoning it to taste."

For my beyer T90 pair of headphones, I removed the pads, and then took out that foam disc insert which sits over the driver. Then put the same pads back on and this resulted in a noticeable improvement to me, as it opened-up the midrange and added a bit more overall clarity in these headphones. Whether beyer intentionally designed this foam disc to sit in the earcup (while not being a part of the ear pad, so that it could be easily removed), I don't know. But, it's these types of small, thoughtful, engineering touches that you appreciate.

For all of the advanced engineering that went into the ADX5000 (which I appreciate), it still seems to be a "take it, or leave it" headphone with no options for even minor mods (which is all I'd do, anyway).

And, let's face it. Owners of this headphone are a small group. And, those of us who will be willing to make any adjustments to this h/p will be few and far between. (Hey. I'm not willing to mess with these headphones any at all right now, as I don't want to risk damaging a 2000.00 dollar h/p!) There may end up being a few folks here and there that try different things with these headphones, but I haven't found any results yet on the internet of anybody posting about any changes they've made to them.

In the meantime, I'm just going to "sit tight" for the time being. (I've also got my (slightly modded) T-90's that I can enjoy, until hopefully I can find a way to get these ADX5000's "all the way there.")

If anybody comes across anything on the web along these lines, please post it here in this thread, and I'll check-in here from time to time. I'd appreciate anything that anybody could come up with.

Everybody be well, and "Happy Listening" to all who are here. Enjoy the music, guys!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back