2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jun 19, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #407 of 1,496
When comparing to the HD800S it doesn't look so bad now. I guess I'm just not used to whatever compensation they're using. I'm not sure about the sub bass as the last time I heard the HD800S was 5 months ago. To me where the ADX5000 wins out over the competition for me is comfort. That's a very important thing to me as most headphones tend to have headband designs that bother me at least sometimes.

Jun 19, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #408 of 1,496
When comparing to the HD800S it doesn't look so bad now. I guess I'm just not used to whatever compensation they're using. I'm not sure about the sub bass as the last time I heard the HD800S was 5 months ago. To me where the ADX5000 wins out over the competition for me is comfort. That's a very important thing to me as most headphones tend to have headband designs that bother me at least sometimes.

Almost every headphone I've owned creates a pressure spot at the top of my skull, it's just a matter of how long it takes before the discomfort becomes too distracting. My comfort ranking (best to worst) is as follows ADX5000 > Utopia > HD600 > H800S. The most comfortable headphone I've worn is the MrSpeakers Ether, its leather headband moulded really nicely to the shape of my skull.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #409 of 1,496

Actually looking at the graphs again, the HD800S raw response graph from the Korean website tracks Tyll's raw response graph pretty well.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #411 of 1,496
Almost every headphone I've owned creates a pressure spot at the top of my skull, it's just a matter of how long it takes before the discomfort becomes too distracting. My comfort ranking (best to worst) is as follows ADX5000 > Utopia > HD600 > H800S. The most comfortable headphone I've worn is the MrSpeakers Ether, its leather headband moulded really nicely to the shape of my skull.
That's interesting. I've never used the Utopia or HD600, but I have used the Elear and HD650. I'd probably say ADX5000 > HD650 > HD800S > Elear.

Speaking of MrSpeakers, I have an Aeon Flow Closed coming in today. The aesthetic isn't quite as nice as the Ether Flow, but I do not want to spend all that much at the moment. I'm looking for a solid closed headphone to use when my AC is blasting. Most of the time I'll still be using the ADX5000. I hope it sounds nice, but comfort is the most important thing right now.

Would love to hear, whether that is of the same AT sound or more balanced one?
I think the ADX5000 retains the A-T house sound while also being pretty well balanced. The sub bass seems a bit better than usual for A-T, and the detail and clarity surpasses previous efforts as well.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #412 of 1,496
that's an uneven fr if those measurements are anything to go by but that's not unusual for an a-t can. bass rolls off steeply at 100hz, which isn't surprising either. the mid-range dip is a departure tho.

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #414 of 1,496
I'm not sure how much of a departure it is as you can see a mid dip in some of their closed cans like the W1000X and W5000 and to a lesser extent on the AD2000, but it's possible that the dip is larger than usual. The sub bass I feel is less rolled off than usual for A-T.

Heck, even the W3000ANV that you appear to own @up late appears to have a mid dip going by 3-4 graphs I've seen.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 9:56 PM Post #415 of 1,496
it's not nearly as pronounced in tyll's fr measurements of those cans, and there isn't one to speak of in his ad2000x fr chart. that said, comparing fr measurements from different sources is flawed anyway.

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #416 of 1,496
it's not nearly as pronounced in tyll's fr measurements of those cans, and there isn't one to speak of in his ad2000x fr chart. that said, comparing fr measurements from different sources is flawed anyway.
I said AD2000. Not X. And look up various measurements of your W3000ANV if you'd like. Mid dip all day

Jun 20, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #417 of 1,496
sorry if my example wasn't precise enough for you. :rolling_eyes: i was just making an observation based on the a-t fr measurements that i've seen. with regard to the w3000anv, i don't hear a mid-range dip of any kind but that's just my subjective perception. the a-t cans that i've heard have forward mids that could be characterised as "shouty".

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #418 of 1,496
sorry if my example wasn't precise for you. :rolling_eyes: i was just making an observation based on the a-t fr measurements that i've seen. with regard to the w3000anv, i don't hear a mid-range dip of any kind but that's just my subjective perception. the a-t cans that i've heard have forward mids that could be characterised as "shouty".
That shoutiness you're referring to is around 1kHz which the ADX5000 does have according to both the graphs on that website and the graph I've seen included with another member's ADX5000. The dip is around 500hz.

You can see the other graph I'm talking about in this video:

Thanks for the eye roll.

Jun 21, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #420 of 1,496
That shoutiness you're referring to is around 1kHz which the ADX5000 does have according to both the graphs on that website and the graph I've seen included with another member's ADX5000. The dip is around 500hz.

You can see the other graph I'm talking about in this video:

Thanks for the eye roll.

you're welcome. :wink: well the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say and i'm yet to hear the adx5000.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back