2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jun 13, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #391 of 1,496
I'm interested to know what ADX5000 owners are using as a balanced cable? I currently have this headphone on demo with both the stock single-ended 6.3mm cable and the stock balanced 4XLR cable. I'd prefer to use balanced because my amps sound better this way, but the stock 4XLR cable is too thick and heavy IMO and I feel it pulling down on the earcups unless its weight is supported. It's also expensive. I like the lightness and thinness of the single-ended cable. Does anyone know if the single-ended cable is 4-core all the way to the plug? If it is then it should in theory be possible to cut off the 6.3mm plug and solder on a 4XLR. Or will I get better performance with an aftermarket cable?
I just sent off a pair of A2DC connectors yesterday to ZMF to see what cables they'll fit with. Hope to use them with an Atmos S cable.

Here they are: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5555

I have confirmed that they fit on the ADX5000 just fine, but they're made for a different headphone. They won't look quite as nice if you're looking closely.

I am not sure about the wiring on the stock single ended cable.

In addition I should note that A-T sells the single ended cable for about half the price of the balanced if you'd like to modify your stock cable but still have an actual stock cable available.

'136500940 CORD ASSY ADX5000 $185.98 each'

Not UK pricing, but that's what I was told yesterday when I inquired.

Jun 14, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #392 of 1,496
I've been doing some intense A/B/C comparisons this evening between HD800S, Utopia and ADX5000, using Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp, and wanted to share my findings...

Firstly, none out of the three headphones match my own personal ideal for neutrality and full-range sound, and I prefer individual aspects of each headphone, but the one that seems to be ticking most boxes is the ADX5000.

Let's start with HD800S:
- Having spent a week listening exclusively to ADX5000, my first reaction of swapping to 800S was "hey, where did ALL the bass go?!". This was really surprising since I don't remember being so underwhelmed by 800S's low end before, but perhaps I didn't have enough references to compare to. I'm confused by this result since I've read a review of comparing HD800S with ADX5000 that states the "bass pressure is slightly less on the ADX5000". Based on my A/B/C test I strongly disagree with this! At first I wondered if my 800S is broken, but I bought them new so that's unlikely. What might be causing an issue is my narrow head, which prevents 800S earpads from sealing completely around the area above my ear. I tried applying pressure with my hands to improve the seal, and the amount of bass did increase, but still not near that provided by ADX5000 either in amount or impact/punch.
- Where I prefer 800S is in the lower mids and also the treble. The lower mids are richer on HD800S and thinner on the ADX5000. Also I find the treble slightly sweeter and less fatiguing on 800S compared to the ADX5000 which is slightly more aggressive to my ears.
- Loosest clamp and seal of all three
headphones for my narrow head.

Now the Utopia:
- More bass than HD800S, both in amount and impact, but still not as good as ADX5000 which is faster and more extended and better slam.
- Full-bodied lower mids and upper mids, but the treble sounds a bit strange. It sounds closed-in and not as crisp, open or airy as HD800S or ADX5000.
Many enthusiasts refer to Utopia as "bright", but this confuses me, because headphones such as HD800S and ADX5000 have much more treble brightness IMO.
- Better clamp and seal than HD800S, but still fairly loose for my narrow head.

And finally the ADX5000:
- A mostly neutral
presentation delivering full-range sound.
- Fast, tight, punchy, extended bass.
- Really nice upper mids, better presence than HD800S and less coloured than Utopia.
- Slightly recessed lower mids so not as flowing or musical as HD800S or Utopia.
- Slightly elevated treble so sounds the crispest and most analytical of all three headphones IMO.
- Very comfortable to wear, strongest clamp and seal of all three headphones for my narrow head.

IME all three headphones can be improved with some gently EQ:
- HD800S benefits from a few dBs boost in the sub-bass and one or two dB boost in the upper mids.
- Utopia benefits from one or two dB boost in the upper treble or one or two dB cut in the mids.
- ADX5000 benefits from one or two dBs boost in the lower mids.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #393 of 1,496
I've been doing some intense A/B/C comparisons this evening between HD800S, Utopia and ADX5000, using Schiit Jotunheim headphone amp, and wanted to share my findings...

Firstly, none out of the three headphones match my own personal ideal for neutrality and full-range sound, and I prefer individual aspects of each headphone, but the one that seems to be ticking most boxes is the ADX5000.

Let's start with HD800S:
- Having spent a week listening exclusively to ADX5000, my first reaction of swapping to 800S was "hey, where did ALL the bass go?!". This was really surprising since I don't remember being so underwhelmed by 800S's low end before, but perhaps I didn't have enough references to compare to. I'm confused by this result since I've read a review of comparing HD800S with ADX5000 that states the "bass pressure is slightly less on the ADX5000". Based on my A/B/C test I strongly disagree with this! At first I wondered if my 800S is broken, but I bought them new so that's unlikely. What might be causing an issue is my narrow head, which prevents 800S earpads from sealing completely around the area above my ear. I tried applying pressure with my hands to improve the seal, and the amount of bass did increase, but still not near that provided by ADX5000 either in amount or impact/punch.
- Where I prefer 800S is in the lower mids and also the treble. The lower mids are richer on HD800S and thinner on the ADX5000. Also I find the treble slightly sweeter and less fatiguing on 800S compared to the ADX5000 which is slightly more aggressive to my ears.
- Loosest clamp and seal of all three
headphones for my narrow head.

Now the Utopia:
- More bass than HD800S, both in amount and impact, but still not as good as ADX5000 which is faster and more extended and better slam.
- Full-bodied lower mids and upper mids, but the treble sounds a bit strange. It sounds closed-in and not as crisp, open or airy as HD800S or ADX5000.
Many enthusiasts refer to Utopia as "bright", but this confuses me, because headphones such as HD800S and ADX5000 have much more treble brightness IMO.
- Better clamp and seal than HD800S, but still fairly loose for my narrow head.

And finally the ADX5000:
- A mostly neutral
presentation delivering full-range sound.
- Fast, tight, punchy, extended bass.
- Really nice upper mids, better presence than HD800S and less coloured than Utopia.
- Slightly recessed lower mids so not as flowing or musical as HD800S or Utopia.
- Slightly elevated treble so sounds the crispest and most analytical of all three headphones IMO.
- Very comfortable to wear, strongest clamp and seal of all three headphones for my narrow head.

IME all three headphones can be improved with some gently EQ:
- HD800S benefits from a few dBs boost in the sub-bass and one or two dB boost in the upper mids.
- Utopia benefits from one or two dB boost in the upper treble or one or two dB cut in the mids.
- ADX5000 benefits from one or two dBs boost in the lower mids.

Thank you for these comparisons. Very very useful! I've actually been wondering how the ADX5000 compares to the HD800S, which I used to own, and also the Utopia, which is said to be very fast and punchy like the ADX5000.

Sounds like the ADX5000 remains the right choice for me, but I'd still love to hear the Utopia. Unfortunately, even if I do hear it it's a bit out of my price range!

One other thing I'd like to hear about between these 3 is your impressions on the soundstages. Obviously the HD800S is by far the largest, but how do they compare? Which do you prefer? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #394 of 1,496
Thank you for these comparisons. Very very useful! I've actually been wondering how the ADX5000 compares to the HD800S, which I used to own, and also the Utopia, which is said to be very fast and punchy like the ADX5000.

Sounds like the ADX5000 remains the right choice for me, but I'd still love to hear the Utopia. Unfortunately, even if I do hear it it's a bit out of my price range!

One other thing I'd like to hear about between these 3 is your impressions on the soundstages. Obviously the HD800S is by far the largest, but how do they compare? Which do you prefer? Thanks again.

No problem, glad to help :).

To my ears all three headphones give very different presentations and it takes a while to 'adjust' going from one to the other, but I think ADX5000 offers the most complete tonal balance.

In terms of soundstage, HD800S does indeed have the widest, due to the greater distance of the drivers, but ADX5000 is still very good. I suppose you could argue HD800S soundstage is so wide it is unnatural, and ADX5000 soundstage is more realistic, depending on your view. The ADX5000 soundstage is more spacious than Utopia which sounds a bit closed in to my ears. Utopia is still an extremely nice sounding headphone though!

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #395 of 1,496
Forgot to mention, one thing that annoys me about the ADX5000 is how easily the nylon fabric cable transfers vibrational noises to the earcups. When the cable rubs against my clothing it sounds like someone is scrubbing laundry on a washboard! Am I the only one who's bothered by this? I wish manufacturers would return to smooth rubberised/plasticised cables. I know these are more susceptible to transferring low frequency vibrations, but IMO the damped 'thud' sound from tapping your finger against a rubberised cable is less annoying than the 'scratchy' sound of braided fabric cable rubbing against clothing.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #396 of 1,496
Forgot to mention, one thing that annoys me about the ADX5000 is how easily the nylon fabric cable transfers vibrational noises to the earcups. When the cable rubs against my clothing it sounds like someone is scrubbing laundry on a washboard! Am I the only one who's bothered by this? I wish manufacturers would return to smooth rubberised/plasticised cables. I know these are more susceptible to transferring low frequency vibrations, but IMO the damped 'thud' sound from tapping your finger against a rubberised cable is less annoying than the 'scratchy' sound of braided fabric cable rubbing against clothing.
This is actually the first thing I noticed when I first tried on the ADX5000. I also happened to be wearing a tshirt with a large print on the front at the time. The ADX5000 scraped against it very loudly.

I'm looking forward to getting an aftermarket cable from ZMF within the next month or so.

I consider the stock 1/4" cable the biggest flaw with the ADX5000, but the official balanced cable appears to be even worse.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #397 of 1,496
This is actually the first thing I noticed when I first tried on the ADX5000. I also happened to be wearing a tshirt with a large print on the front at the time. The ADX5000 scraped against it very loudly.

I'm looking forward to getting an aftermarket cable from ZMF within the next month or so.

I consider the stock 1/4" cable the biggest flaw with the ADX5000, but the official balanced cable appears to be even worse.

The section of cable below the "Y-junction" is fairly quiet, but the cable above it is very noisy. This applies equally to the single ended and balanced cable IMO, however the balanced cable also has the problem of being far too thick and heavy below the Y-junction. The Utopia cable is also too thick and heavy IMO, but at least it's rubberised so it's fairly quiet.

Maybe I should just get an aftermarket cable for the ADX5000 with a nice boring rubber coating!...

BTW - You guys in the US seem to be spoiled for choice of aftermarket cable makers. Very little choice in the UK so I'll probably end up ordering from US or direct from China.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #398 of 1,496
I performed an additional comparison tonight, however it probably won't be of much use to fellow head-fiers, as the A/B was between the ADX5000 and my loudspeaker system, but I'll share anyway...

Amazingly, the ADX5000's tonal balance is almost identical to my loudspeakers! It's kind of freaking me out because I've never owned a headphone that shares such a similar tuning to my speakers.

Usually when I swap between my headphones and speakers, or vice versa, my brain takes time to adjust to the different sound, and I always end up feeling insecure about which tonal profile is the most accurate and least coloured one. However, with the ADX5000, I can swap between it and my loudspeakers and the tonal profiles are so similar that I no longer need time re-calibrate my hearing. :)

BTW - Have ADX5000 owners noticed the sound of their headphones change any as they break-in? If so, roughly how long is the break-in period?

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #399 of 1,496
First day, I noticed the elevated treble and my ears seems to get acclimated after a few days and now it doesn't bother me as much.

I didn't really notice any much changes during the first week or the second, but just mostly getting acclimated with the treble. It also probably didn't help that I've been tube rolling so I been focused on the different tube sounds than the headphone itself. :joy:

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #400 of 1,496
And yes both the SE and the balanced cable are pretty damn noisy and it became a habit to just lay the cord on the table (specially the heavy balanced cable) so it doesn't touch my upper body. I'm still waiting for my other third party balanced cables to come in...

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #401 of 1,496
Yea. I haven't really noticed a change, but I do think I got more used to the treble which made a bit of a difference. In fact, I switched my Auteur from the Eikon pads to Auteur pads to make it a little brighter. The Auteur pads seem to give it the bite it needs to not feel too slow in comparison to the ADX5000. It's a really tough call between the two for which I prefer, but the ADX5000 definitely wins on comfort. It's like there's no headband at all.

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #402 of 1,496
Do we have any frequency response measurements yet for the ADX5000, from a reliable source? I wish Tyll had deferred his retirement another couple weeks as I was really looking forward to his review on these. I'm especially interest to compare graphs of the low frequency level and extension between the ADX5000 and its other open back competitors, as the ADX sounds noticeably superior to the Utopia and HD800S to my ears.

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #403 of 1,496
Do we have any frequency response measurements yet for the ADX5000, from a reliable source? I wish Tyll had deferred his retirement another couple weeks as I was really looking forward to his review on these. I'm especially interest to compare graphs of the low frequency level and extension between the ADX5000 and its other open back competitors, as the ADX sounds noticeably superior to the Utopia and HD800S to my ears.
Back when I was thinking of selling my ADX5000 I was considering getting them sent to someone I trust for measurements as it'd be very helpful to the community to have such measurements. But now they're my main open headphone. Maybe once I have my closed headphone situation figured out I can try to get those measurements and just use my HD650 and closed option while the ADX5000 is away.

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #404 of 1,496
I found some measurements here. The Raw measurement is the second graph down, the dip in the lower mids is pretty consistent with what I hear. I have no idea what compensation the first graph uses as it seems heavily tilted up in the treble??!!

The impedance plot is interesting as it shows a large peak of 950 ohms at 100Hz. I'm still a bit of a rookie on the amplifier implications of a headphone's impedance curve.. What can we deduce from the ADX5000's impedance curve? Does it mean that the amp must be be able to supply just over double the power at 100Hz to accurately replicate the ADX5000's stock frequency response?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back