2017 Audio Technica new flagship ATH-ADX5000
Jul 2, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #436 of 1,496
Can confirm that this cable is less microphonic above the split than the stock cable, but it is still microphonic it I run my fingers down it. Luckily that isn’t a normal scenario. I think it really does have something to do with the way the headphone is designed. Or maybe the way the connector is designed. Below the split is basically silent.

Cable works nicely. I’m happy with it. 2 meters instead of 3.

14C1D371-CA49-4CD4-9CA8-19B7BE8AA53C.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #437 of 1,496
Got my cable as well but one of the a2dc connector (Right one) has fitment issue and unable to snap in fully unlike the left one, so I need to get it swapped out. I did briefly try it out and it sounds pretty much the same as the stock balanced cable.

McOfXwRl.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 12:10 AM Post #438 of 1,496
Got my cable as well but one of the a2dc connector (Right one) has fitment issue and unable to snap in fully unlike the left one, so I need to get it swapped out. I did briefly try it out and it sounds pretty much the same as the stock balanced cable.

McOfXwRl.jpg
thats unfortunate. How are the microphonics with that material above the split?

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #439 of 1,496
thats unfortunate. How are the microphonics with that material above the split?

The material is just your usual paracord and it doesn't transfer any rubbing or scratching noises. Other than the defective connector which is not their fault, its a very well made cable for $75! I also have another one being built by VE but they are taking quite a long time...

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #440 of 1,496
Sounds good. I guess a fully sleeved cable might technically be better than my Atmos S for microphonics, but I prefer the Atmos S looks so I'll leave it at that for now.

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #442 of 1,496
43213615671_eca2d6ae9b_b.jpg

After an extended listening time with the Periapt balanced cable, I found it surprisingly better than the stock balanced cable!

Its noticeably less sibilant/harsh, the bass/slam/impact is more pronounced and its slightly more airy than the stock cable.

Now I kinda regret buying AT's $300+ balanced cable, while this cable from Periapt is only $75...

Jul 5, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #443 of 1,496
Did you get your replacement ADX5000 already?

Aeon Flow Closed has been getting more head time than the ADX5000 lately because closed is just better when my window AC is running. Soon it might be an Atticus instead. I don't really love how the Aeon sounds at all. Always sounds nicer when I can swap back to the ADX5000, but it's has been too hot lately.

Jul 5, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #444 of 1,496
Yup got it replaced already and the new one is slightly better, maybe a tad smoother on the joints/pivoting. I'm pretty much over it. :sweat_smile:

I can understand you might prefer the adx5k specially this summer and I too have a loud AC in my room that's getting heavy use. The adx5k is the most comfortable (non-leather) and lightest TOTL headphones that I've owned and its hard to go back to the heavier ones.

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:41 PM Post #445 of 1,496
For me personally I could use maybe an extra 1/4" of vertical space on the earpads so that my ears don't make any contact, but I agree it is very comfortable. I actully find the Aeon equally or maybe even more comfortable than the ADX5000 as the cups are more nicely sized and the suspension system is just a small step behind in comfort on top of my head. It's a good system. What the Aeon has in comfort it lacks in sound to my ears.

The Atticus is the real unknown for me. I found the Auteur I had a little uncomfortable at times, but Zach is shipping me this Atticus with a padded suede strap instead of just a thin piece of leather. It could make enough difference to the point where I sell the Aeon. Or it could still be noticeably uncomfortable at times and then I send or back or sell it. If the Atticus is comfortable I'm betting I'll enjoy it enough to use more often than just when my AC is cranked. If it's not comfortable then I may get a HD800S again for a 2nd open headphone and the Aeon will be kept for those days when the AC is blasting.

Either way I see the ADX5000 being locked in for a long while. I'd really love to see A-T update their line with a closed flagship. using the new headband.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #446 of 1,496
I like the Aeon's ear shape earpads and that's about it, other than that I never really been interested in Mr Speaker stuff. I've had ZMF eikon/atticus before and they were pretty bulky/heavy for sure, I ended up selling them because I wanted something more open/transparent. Kinda gave up on closed headphones tbh. :weary:

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #447 of 1,496
I find open to be generally superior as well, but I have some hope for the Atticus offering a pleasing sound for certain styles. If it doesn't work out then the Aeon will stay and I'll just go ADX5000 + HD800S. I think I'll prefer the faster punchy sound of the ADX5000 more often than not, but there are certainly special occasions when I think 'I bet this would sound cool on the HD800S'. Used to have one and it's definitely one of the more comfortable headphones for me along with being one of the nicer sounding ones.

Then again I could just use my HD650 more instead of buying another HD800S and save a bit of money. It’s just that I feel like there’s something kind of special about the HD800S and the ADX5000. The HD650 on the other hand sounds very good, but I don’t get any special feeling from it, I guess.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #448 of 1,496

After an extended listening time with the Periapt balanced cable, I found it surprisingly better than the stock balanced cable!

Its noticeably less sibilant/harsh, the bass/slam/impact is more pronounced and its slightly more airy than the stock cable.

Now I kinda regret buying AT's $300+ balanced cable, while this cable from Periapt is only $75...

I still need to buy a balanced cable for my ADX5000. Do Periapt have A2DC plugs they can use to terminate the cable with or did you need to buy the plugs yourself and send them to Periapt?

Ideally I think I'd still prefer a neoprene/PVC/rubber sheathed cable like the one you get with the HD650 and HD800S as I find them far less scratchy/microphonic sounding when touched.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #449 of 1,496
I still need to buy a balanced cable for my ADX5000. Do Periapt have A2DC plugs they can use to terminate the cable with or did you need to buy the plugs yourself and send them to Periapt?

Ideally I think I'd still prefer a neoprene/PVC/rubber sheathed cable like the one you get with the HD650 and HD800S as I find them far less scratchy/microphonic sounding when touched.

You got to email them directly and ask them if they still have a extended a2dc connector for the adx5k.

I remember they ordered 2pc for me at their expense, so they might still have one left ready to be assembled, if not then they will have to reorder some more from the lunashop.

A rubbery material will definitely be ideal if you want absolutely no microphonics and Periapt may be able to custom make you one if you ask.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #450 of 1,496

This is interesting....

My comments on the ADX5000's sound quality vs the HD800S and Utopia were performed using a pair of ADX5000 I had on home demo. The pair of ADX5000 I purchased didn't arrive until around 1 week ago. My comments were based mainly on using the 5000 with the A-T stock balanced cable, as my headphone amps sound better in balanced mode, but I did try the stock single-ended cable briefly and the tonal balance was pretty similar.

I'm finding my new 5000 with the stock single-ended cable sounds more sibilant/etched in the treble than the 5000 I had on demo. I'm not sure if this is due to them needing more break-in time, or possible driver manufacturing variations, but it's a little concerning. I was therefore optimistic when I noticed your comment about the Periapt cable helping to tame some of the sibilance/etchiness.

I am very close to placing an order with Matt for a 10ft long cable sleeved in PVC instead of paracord. I just need to decide whether to buy the 'pro' version or the 'portable' version. The 'portable' version appeals to me because it is thinner / lighter / more flexible, however I don't know how its sonic signature compares to the 'pro' version that you bought. i.e. I don't know if the thinner option will have a similar effect on helping to reduce the sibilance/etching. I'd be grateful if you could please tell me how the thickness and weight of your Periapt cable compares to the A-T stock balanced cable?

McOfXwRl.jpg
EDIT - I've just noticed the photo you posted on July 3. It looks like the main section of the Periapt cable is slightly thinner than the A-T cable, but the individual cables that branch off to the earcups look slightly thicker than the A-T cable. Is this correct?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back